Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: Your best night in KRUGER. !!!!!!!!!!
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:38 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Tiny, I wish you many moments of wonder :thumbs_up:

I have given it some thought, and it must be on the trip that rekindled my love for Kruger.

I had received an email informing me of a training course with Bruce Brydon.
"Who is Bruce Brydon :hmz:", I thought.

My twin daughters were turning 18 and I thought that this would be the ideal 18th birthday present, an experience to hold onto forever.

Well, the few days surpassed all expectations. I knew that something very profound had happened and I would never be the same.

Towards evening of our second last night, Bruce had jokingly said that he would take us somewhere special and that he would guarantee an elephant sighting.

We left for our sundowners and made our way though some pretty dense bush. It was obvious that few vehicles passed that way. After climbing out the vehicle, Bruce took us on a short walk to rock covered hill. There was a small cave and it was there that we were given our elephant sightings.

I could look at what few people had seen, ancient rock art of 3 elephant. I wondered at that moment whether this had been a sacred sight. There was, without doubt, a very profound change in the mood of the group.

We made our way back to the vehicle, which was parked on a slight elevation. There we each found a place to sit. We sat in silence as the African sky deepened into darkness.

I was so aware of all our lives, so separate and so united. It seemed that we were joined by the ancestors, not only the ancestors of Africa, but by each person who had ever loved us and held us dearly.

Later we returned for supper. Bruce's wife gave us a talk on Anthrax. She is a miro biologist. We chatted and laughed and spoke into the night. I think that each one of us knew that something of the sacred had happened. The next day, there was a change in our group. There was a unity that had previously been absent.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:05 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi, MM
Where is the cave, where you had that wonderful experience? That would be just the thing to make a visit a very different one.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:58 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Micetta,
best thing is to find out about the Bushman trail. I think that it will be a similar experience.

Post subject: Re: Your best night in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:26 pm 

About 5 years ago at Tamboti. Before I write more, I am curious...Tamboti seems to have some magic. EVERYONE writes about this camp and loves it. So what is it about this camp that is so special? Here is my version and that would subsequently also be my best night in Kruger. A friend of mine asked me to accompany her to Tamboti just for a weekend. She needed to do her books for their business and forewarned me she will not be able to chit chat as she HAS to finish the books that weekend. I had never been to Tamboti. Did not expect much as I was just happy to be IN Kruger. Upon entering the camp you can hardly see any other people about (unlike all other camps). YES! I already loved it. You park your vehicle at the number indicated for your tent. Then walk up a little path to your tent. What a surprise! Hidden amongst trees (you almost feel like you are in Tarzan land). You cannot see the people in the tents either side of you, only hear them if they talk loud enough. Hence you feel totally at one with nature. I loved it already. After dinner, we said our good nights and tried to sleep but couldn't. We had every single flap that could open - open - I lay staring at the stars and the moon shining right into the tent! It was awesome! Lay listening to hyaena next to the fence (all tents face the fence) and saw them walking up and down the fence in the moonlight. That's it? You ask? Yep. that was a night i found to be my best night in Kruger. I think it must've been a good time of year as well as there were no mosquitos, no noise, but there was definately some magic spell put on me that night - just the peace...being so close to nature....looking at the moon...listening to various night animals sounds and falling into the deepest sleep ever....and waking up with NO noise of car doors slamming so early in the morning nor did we hear our neighbors...it was just magical. So it seems - the secret of Tamboti is out - or is it? What is so magical about that camp?

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:45 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

You guys have come up with such special moments in Kruger, but all my amazing experiences are from Hwange, Mana Pools and Matusadona, so getting excited about a `tame' park like Kruger is harder for me.
A special moment last June in Lower Sabie -- yes in that busy camp where there is not much peace and quiet. My wife and I slept in a little hut, but decided to have a braai (vegetarian -- roosterkoeke etc) in the picnic area of the day campers after sunset, where we were totally separated from all campers etc.
Only problem, a few Sanparks officials stopped to check what on earth was going on here.
It got dark, and very quiet amongst the trees, which was so lovely.
Then a stunning moonrise to end it all.

Kruger is not that bad after all! Will be in Tamboti this coming June, so hopefully I will have better stories to tell...

God bless

Friedrich von Hörsten

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:04 am 

Wow, every one seems to have had their best nights at Timboti. I wil definately have to go when I come home again (living in Australia). I went back to visit in April last year and took some Aussies with me. Normally I wouldn't make such a big deal but I really wanted to show them the best we could offer.

We drove up to Phalaborwa and stayed at Letabe and Olifants a couple of nights and did see a fair bit. The aussies got quite a fright with a young teenage elephant throwing branches at us. They didn't find it too amusing especially because one of them was driving. Our last night was spent at Lower Sabie which blew all our minds. I grew up going to the park but never actually went on a night drive. Well we decided to go and went with a guy named Patrick. I hope some one here knows Pat because if it wasn't for him and his brilliant knowledge that were always turned into jokes, it could have been a bit boring inbetween sightings.

We saw two cheetah and about 4 male lions on the road back to the camp. About a hundred meters from the first lion Patrick stopped to let us relieve ourselves (sorry no other way I can describe it) and then heard this almighty roar. Needless to say at that time every one felt that they needed to go if you know what I mean. As it turned out it was actually Patrick making that noise. As I said he's a funny guy. Not at the time though. Any way, just up the road we saw our first lion, an old guy with scratches every where. He was talking to a friend who was trying to protect some of their ground. He was about 3 meters away and to this day have never heard or felt any thing quite like it. My whole chest cavity was vibrating and the hair on the back of my neck was standing up. Unbelievable thing to experience and I hope to have Patrick on our next night drive. If you get to read this Pat, thanks a lot and wil see you soon chief.

:thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:32 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
MM, naomi, saffa ... Great Stories! :clap: :clap:

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:02 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Amazing experiences and told in a very captivating way :clap:. Every night in Kruger is a good one for me :thumbs_up:.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:21 pm 

Truly every night in Kruger is a "best night" but I remember one in Punda Maria that stands out. It was a moonless evening. I was staying in hut #1 enjoying a glass of South African wine and writing in my journal as the night overtook the day. I must have sat at the huts' outdoor table for an hour or so when I came out from under the thatched roof and looked up. There were so many stars, not only visable because of the cloudless, moonless night, but also so clear to the naked eye I felt as if I could reach up and grab a few - (I think I may have tried). It was such an astounding site I actually teared up. I will never forget it.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:25 am 
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
:thumbs_up: I can entirely relate, Travelstory - there have been many times that the country-viewed southern skies have rooted me to the spot as I stared upwards at the mass of a few thousand stars overhead, wondering what it would like if we could but see a fraction more of the 300 million in our Milky Way. But, a few thousand I find sufficient proof of GOD's presence, for I think I wouldn't be able to handle any more than that without too being entirely overwhelmed. :thumbs_up:

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:04 am 

Any night in Kruger is special.what has been your best night. Watching rhinos fighting for water at biyamiti is a definite high lite. So are the nights in the hides . What is your best night

Balule 22-24 October2013
Tsendze 24-26 October2013
Punda Maria 26-28 October 2013

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:53 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
Every night in the Kruger is a blessing and a treat BUT one that stands out to us was the night of the 07 July 2012, it was our last day at Tsendze and we were moving to Tamboti on the morning of the 08 July. We normally go to a few of our favourite places the day before we leave a certain place and on the 07 we went down a road where the Tsendze river flows over (I think it was the road to the Phalaborwa gate :redface: :redface: ) and we thought we heard LIONS, we scanned the bushes, we listened very carefully and after 3 hours we established that there were lions very close by. We were forced to return to Tsendze and we started to dismantle our camp but we were all preoccupied by the lions that we had heard. For most of the night the lions occupied our conversation and our thoughts, the morning arrived and we showered, packed up the last things and said goodbye to Tsendze :( :( , we took the same route as the day before and as we drove through the water on the road we saw the most amazing sighting, 2 lions laying in the road and mating, we were the only car for hours, it was amazing, they were doing the mating thing and just being very lazy. What a parting gift :D :D so it was the best night for us because we were filled with anticipation, hope and excitement because we knew there might be a possibility that the lions would still be "hanging around" in the morning......

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015