SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Your best night in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:34 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

August at Nyarhi Rustic Bush Camp.

For those who haven't heard about it as yet, Nyarhi is a small camp run by the SANParks Honorary Rangers. It is near Mopane and is unfenced with only very basic amenities. Guests stay in tents.

http://www.sanparksvolunteers.org/index.php/bush-camps

Just before it started getting dark and while we were still setting up camp an elephant bull approached the camp on the game trail which leads straight through the camp. It is obviously his normal route and he was quite surprised to find us in his way. After his initial surprise he started circling the camp site, every time moving closer and then again moving away. All the time he was browsing the shrubs and trees around the camp.

This he kept up for about an hour. The guides had to constantly keep an eye on him. He was clearly not going to go away.

By the time is was getting properly dark he started moving in again. He was now on the opposite side of the camp from where he initially approached. This time he started to get more aggressive in his approach and the guides had to "talk" to him to prevent him from "entering" (15 meters difference).

This became a stale mate of about 15 or 20 minutes!

But now it was dark and it became more and more difficult to manage the situation. It was difficult to see him when he moved back. It is amazing how a huge elephant can become invisible behind a single shrub!

The elephant then made a mistake. After another aggressive approach he turned around to move back a bit. The guides then saw an opportunity and charged the ellie. With his back to the noise he got a fright and sped of in to the bush, not to be seen again that night.

But we did hear him and a few of his friends around the camp for the rest of the evening.

Twice during the rest of the camp we saw our friend while walking on trail, but always kept a respectful distance.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:41 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I certainly can't beat Imberbe's story. That must have been an amazing, adrenalin-rush evening!

Probably my best night in Kruger was a couple of years ago when I was on my own at Tamboti Camp. At about 2.00 a.m. I was woken by the tent canvas shaking and a huge noise - it took a few moments for me to really wake properly and realise that the noise was a lion's roar.

I jumped out of bed, grabbed a spotlight, and went to the deck of the tent. In the dry river bed below were two magnificent male lions - beautiful full manes - standing facing each other and both roaring. They kept up the roaring for a few minutes and then both turned away and wandered off down the river bed in opposite directions.

Until close to a roaring lion one does not realise the strength of that roar - it literally makes everything around it shake.

I will long remember that night and my only regret is that my hubby was unable to join me on that trip and he missed the excitement.

Mopani 18-20 Oct 2014
Shingwedzi 20-22 Oct 2014
Punda Maria 22-25 Oct 2014

KTP May 2015

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:07 am 

Great stories, IB and HT. :clap: :clap: :clap:

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)