Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Your best night in KRUGER. !!!!!!!!!!
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:31 am 

Spot on Bush Baptist :wink:.

Will be in Kruger next week on the 9th of October and will get back on the 13th :dance:.

Wishing for some great experiences and sightings to share with you guys :pray:.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:28 pm 

Great thread, TINY :clap: :thumbs_up:

Two stories spring to mind - both at Tamboti, which IMHO is absolutely the worst camp in Kruger (does that help, BushBaptist???)

1. One evening, after dinner and cleaning up the debris, the resident Honey Badger arrived for his dinner. He unceremoniously upended the bin and sought out all the best scraps, and then sauntered off into the bush. We could hear him munching for a while, then .... silence ..... An AWESOME sighting from about 10 metres away.

2. On a different occasion, at about 2:00am i felt the need to go and check out the river bed for a few minutes. After satisfying myself that all was well, i was halfway up the stairs to the tent when this male lion let out this deafening ROARRR!!! from no more than 40 metres behind me. I immediately became airborne and did not touch the deck before finding myself inside the tent. :shock: After the adrenaline rush started to subside, we went down to the fence but could not see the culprit. We left camp early and were chuffed to find our friend with his pride a couple of k's down the road. A great start to another day in paradise !!! 8)

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:08 pm 

Obviously you guys are not recommending Tamboti since it is so bad :wink: But I have booked to stay there in June and now I am really excited!

This will be my 10th visit to the Park but first to Tamboti (am I right to be this excited about Tamboti?)

We have been to Talamati the past 3 visits and it has fast become a favourite because it is away from the crowds. In July we had our best night ever in the Park at Talamati.It is an amazing camp.

We checked in quite late and decided to go back out for one last little sundowner outside the camp. (about 17h00) right outside the gate were 3 female lionesses stalking some Zebra. It was fantastic. Just as they were getting ready to go for it a herd of ellies chased them off (the way only the true king of the jungle can!) Any way 15 mins later they were back.

Eventually they had a Zebra in their sights but she managed to get away from them. After a short chase. By that time we had to drive the 30m or so to get into the camp gates. We spent the rest of the evening at the hide watching the lions trying to catch something but by then the game was up! Of course what made it even more scary was that the water hole that the lions were drinking from is right by the hide and the gate into Talamati. I kept checking behind me if one of them lionesses hadn't snuck in :tongue: . They were hiding in the bushes right in front of us waiting for something to become dinner. (I was just hoping it wasn’t me!) Anyway, eventually they moved off in search of something better.

It was a night to remember forever!

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:24 am 

Will be sleeping in a camper tomorrow night 8/10/2008 outside the Malalane gate and will enter Kruger on Thursday morning9/10/2008 :dance:.

One can never tell what i will experience tomorrow night :big_eyes:.
Will be keeping an eye on the crocs catching fish and who knows what else i might see :whistle:.
Perhaps a quick drink from a Leopard!!!!!!!! :pray:

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:23 am 

Hello!,Hello can anybody hear me :huh:.

Need more stories please :rtfm:.

Now i sit and wait :popcorn:.

Please feed me with some stories :pray:.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:07 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

There is over 15 pages of Stories in the travel tales if you need to feed the addiction :lol: :wink:

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:12 pm 

I'm no story teller so you will only get a one lioner from me, what leaps to mind at the moment:

- Watching a full moon rise while lying in bed snuggling SO in a Wolhuter trails camp hut
- braaing in the boma at Talamati with our closest friends, absolute silence, lying on my back watching the tars that always seem to fall out of the sky all the way down to the horizon at Talamati

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:27 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Moonrise over the Olifants river viewed from the platform at the trails camp .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:00 pm 

ndloti wrote:
Moonrise over the Olifants river viewed from the platform at the trails camp .

The view from Napi is much better ... so romantic, sitting on the deck ... listening to the music of nature at night...

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:34 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I clealy recall from around 1965/6/7 staying at Pretoriuskop shortly after the headline news of an employee who fell behind a group walking towards or returning from the compound and who was caught and devoured by lion(s) .
We were staying in huts close to the southern fence I was initially too petrified to even move from my bed to wake my father up to accompany me to the bathroom .
Dawn would have arrived with me in agony , but youngsters can't wait for the call of nature .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:01 am 

Ooooooh :big_eyes: Just the thought of those lions sinking there teeth into human flesh :huh:.
Must of been very traumatic Ndloti.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:14 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi all!

My best night in Kruger....wow a difficult choise!!!

What springs to mind is a night spent camping at Satara.

We had just finished a delicious braai, cleaned up and crawled into our sleeping bags. I had some difficulty falling asleep, I love lying there listening to the bush. It must have been about 23h00, when there was a rather strange bleet that broke the silence. I sat up in bed wondering 'what was THAT?'. I sat there for a couple of seconds, and then I heard it ......a large herd of SOMETHING running through the bush. So I fumbled about in the tent found the torch, scrambled into a pair of shoes.....and during all thing I heard the unmistakable sound of 'ZZZZZZZZZZZIIIIIIPPPPPP' around the camp site.....I was not the only one wide awake and crawling out to see what was on the go!
Eventually I manage to untangle myself from sleeping bags and tent pegs and saw that there was a reasonable crowd at the fence. I ambled over to join them, slightly self conscious of my pink and white PJ's (which I soon forgot about when I noticed another Oom in mickey mouse boxer shorts!). Just at that moment a blur of tawny streaked past the fence, about 50m into the bush..... :shock: :shock:
Then we saw what the chaos was about ....there was a pride of about 5 lions trying to catch a midnight snack.....a buffako snack!!!! I rushed back to the tent to try wake dad, who had been contentedly snoring through everything!!!!
"Dad, dad, there are lions try to catch a buffalo at the fence!!!!"
"ja, sure, it was just a bad dream, go back to sleep"
"Dad I am serious, everyone is outside, come look"
So dad eventually roused himself and joined us.
In the mean time the buffalo herd had made a get-away, which left a couple of rather bemused lionesses, blinking in the spot-lights of some rather well equipped campers!!!! They hung around for about 5min and then melted back into the bush.

Well, by now the whole campsite was awake, kettles were put on and many a story exchanged at the Satara fence that night... :D

One of the reasons why staying in a tent is great, none of the people in the chalets heard or saw anything!

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:08 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Best night in Kruger !!!!!!!!

:hmz: My first night ever in Kruger many many moons back!

My uncle was stationed in Skukuza and we were staying one night with them in the staff house situated right next to the river. Remember, growing up in town you are aware of night sounds like vehicles passing in the street, sirenes etc. etc and used to street lights at night.

Well, this was not to be that night .... firstly, on arrival, my uncle showed us his "pets" - the hippos and crocs on his lawn, impalas "cutting" his grass and monkeys on the roof :shock: so no running around! Our citysleekers were not planning on becomming dinner for these monsters! We very much, the whole time, stayed on the patio within a meter or two from the open doorway should the need arise to make a fast getaway!

Braaing that evening - heavenly!!! A big fire to keep away all the nasties out there in the bush :D My first taste of buffalo from a tin (similiar to corned beef) and an endless supply of biltong and drywors! We ate as much as we possibly could, because at that stage you were not allowed to take any meat products out of Kruger due to I think "bek en klouseer" (foot and mouth) disease. Our car and all other vehicles leaving Kruger were thoroughly searched and sprayed the next day upon leaving through the Kruger Gate just in case you were trying to smuggle out that little piece of biltong or drywors etc. for padkos :?

Sleeptime: :huh: Who on earth can sleep with all those fearsome sounds (bellowing/grunting/sawing/roaring) going on all around you while it was pitch dark outside? Think our pillows were more over our faces than beneath our heads :lol: Did not sleep a wink that night - why, we were too afraid, you know the feeling: afraid of the unfamiliar sounds and the thought of a predator sneaking through your window and at the same time afraid of going to sleep and then missing the sounds and the animals visiting during the night! I can guarantee one thing - all batteries on all torches were flat the next morning and it was not used on spotting game!!!!

My first night in Kruger was my worst, my best, the most fearsome, to loud with all the night sounds .... but it was the first time!!!! A start to an absolute addiction :clap:

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:49 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Great thread Tiny :thumbs_up:

I need to think about this one :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:46 am 

Thank you Meandering mouse and Scorpy for complementing my thread :wink: .

I'm pretty sure that everybody that had an overnight stay in Kruger has a tale or two to tell about their best night experience :huh:.
It will be highly appreciated if those experiences can be shared with all of us forumites :pray:.

Leaving tomorrow for Kruger and will be staying @ Tamboti for one night and Lower Sabie the other :thumbs_up: .
Who knows what i may experience @ Tamboti :big_eyes:.
Will keep you guys posted :thumbs_up:.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next