Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Your best night in KRUGER. !!!!!!!!!!
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:09 pm 

I have had 2 magical night-time experiences that are hard to separate for the best. So you get both of them. I just hope I can express the feelings well enough to do them justice.

1. Summer's night drive from Mopani. Just the guide, me and SO in a small jeep. We didn't see much but we learned so much. About another person's way of life, both before he came to Kruger and his work in the park and his love and respect for the bush. And then the finale - all lights off and the bush at the sides of the vehicle was just lit up with millions of tiny white lights, like fairies dancing around.

2. Later the same trip in Lower Sabie. The end of the sunset drive. There was a storm brewing, the wind was quite fierce and we'd seen very little. It was quite dark when the guide stopped the vehicle and asked if he could show us something special. It would take about 5 minutes. We all agreed and we sat there in the dark with the engine and the lights off. To the left of the truck a storm was raging in the distance - we could see the lightning lighting up the sky but there was no sound of thunder just the most amazing light display that only nature can provide. Then the guide called softly to us to look to the right of the vehicle. A moonrise. The biggest, brightest, most gorgeous full moon I have ever seen, coming up over the horizon. There was no sound from anyone on the truck, we were all awestruck at the sight.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:56 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

In 1991 I had the wonderful experience of a night braai at the exact spot where Tamboti now is . A herd of buffalo moved close by , really giving the sensation of wilderness .Then there was a fenced off enclosure around a small hut with a diesel engine to pump water for Orpen and Morula , exactly where the borehole at Tamboti now is .
It was a most unique experience for me , bearing in mind that not even open safari vehicles and day walks were yet allowed .
I later also had the priviledge of fishing and having a picnic (during the day) in the riverbed in the area before Tamboti was built .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:49 pm 

OH MAN!!! Your stories are all opening the floodgates of my KNP memories!!! Despite only having been three times to the park (Soon to be Four Next week :dance: :dance: ) my most memorable night was at Berg-en-Dal, walking down to the fence at about 11PM with a couple of good buddies, sitting on the bench next to the fence... and listening.....

The calmness only broken by the night sounds and smells which were UNBELIEVABLE!!!! We had our torches with us and frequently scanned the darkness in search of whatever found its way close to us....

No phones, no human noises, no cars or hooters... Just one with nature!! :D Then, the usual night sounds where shattered by an earpiecing WHOOOOOOP, WHOOOOOP, WHOOOOOOOOOP!!! :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

The call of the lone Hyena sent chills of excitement and primal fear running up and down our spines!!! We sprang to our feet simutaneously grabbing our torches, ever fearful that our quick paced breathing would scare the beast away...We scanned,not saying a word to each other, hopeful, longing to catch a glimpse of SOMETHING!! Then, as if to answer our unspoken prayer, we caught sight of a furtive shadow, loping through the thicket! :big_eyes:

Beam of lights knifed wildly through the darkness.. Each trying to catch the animal first! I dont recall who sighted the hyena, but as if on cue, it made its shadowy appearance like a wraith out of the darkness... :big_eyes: Its brown body a perfect blend against the thick backdrop! Our rays of light illuminating its eyes giving it a ghostly, terrible appearance... With dry mouths, we looked on as the hyena calmly made it way through the bush, and without warning or sign, it vanished into the night as thought it were never there... :(

We never saw it again, but heard its distinct WHOOP again some distance away this time, a long while later... We had by that time, sunk back down onto the bench, saying nothing. Each one of us making of the experience what we could!

I long for the park like you cannot believe....

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:56 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Hey you newbies!!!

I had better put you straight. PLEEEEZ stop talking about Tabmoti. It is still a relatively well kept secret, but if you lot continue to tell all those lies about it you will NEVER get a booking to return.

Why do you think I told a story about Biyamiti?

Think please!!! Rather tell the world it has no shop, pool, petrol station, grass, and a lot of bush for hairies to hide in.

Bush Baptist
Chairman: Tamboti Residents Interest Protection Enforcers.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:12 am 

Hi thera to all.

Tamboti is'nt the best camp in Kruger. it has no shop, filing station, pool, and grass :naughty: . however it has lots of bush for hairies to live in :big_eyes:

Booked @ Tamboti 20 to 26 Decemer 2008 :dance:.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:15 am 

Hello is anybody out there :huh: .
Need more stories please :popcorn:.

I'm waiting :whistle: .

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:07 am 

Hi bushlovers!

i suppose my best night in kruger was in balule in 2005.

was my first night there... (it was also the first time my girlfriend was in south africa!)

we were sitting in front of our hut listening to the bush sounds at full moon! after sitting there in the dark, we got so adjusted to the weak darkness that it appeared to be very bright.

you could see the hyenas walk on the other side of the fence without a torch!
they were just a few steps away and it felt like there was nothing in between because you could hardly see the fence in the moonlight!

then several hyenas started rushing around, chasing each other and making their laughing and excitement noises - just next to the fence, it was so loud!

a few minutes later everything was quiet again... except for the usual bush sounds coming up - also a leopard "sawing" nearby!

can`t wait to my next stay in kruger - also booked in balule again!

greetings from cold germany

KNP-trip No. 8: 2014!
30 November: Pretoriuskop
1-2 December: Lower Sabie
3-4 December: Satara
5-6 December: Balule
7-8 December: Letaba
9-10 December: Tamboti

1993, 1995, 1998, 2005, 2007, 2009 and 2013. Next trip coming up!

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:14 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Speaking of Tamboti
Yes, I now remember ... Tamb has lizards on the ceilings, a tentmouse that takes a bite out of all the avo's that you have bought to take home, enjoy the fresh breadrolls that you only can find at Skukuza, a honey badger that is hiding while you braai the lamb chops that you bring from home ... and then chase you away, up the VERY STEEP stairs to the deck, while he has dinner. :naughty: And with no shops, avo's and breadrolls, you have no choice to go to bed on an empty stomach. :cry:

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:42 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

i have still to report about the leopard which entered the tent and dragged me up a tree by the pyjama sleeve and was about ......

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:45 pm 

Hello Ndloti.
Are you there :big_eyes:.

Hope that the Leopard is OK :pray:

This is how Kruger addicts think :oops:
:funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny:

Please let us know what happens next :rtfm:

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:13 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Ndloti should be fined and banned from park for feeding leopard. :naughty:

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:24 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

That is a warning to keep well away from Tamboti , it is extremely dangerous there .

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:08 pm 

I totally agree with you Ndloti :hmz:

Tamboti is extremely dangerous :whistle:

More stories please :rtfm:
:popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:07 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

This is about another one of my many best nights in Kruger .

At the end of a no entry road in the south there is a pan along a spruit with a double barelled name that drains into the Sabie river , and at the end of the road a leadwood tree on the edge of the pan with a platform in it about 4 or 5 metres above the ground .
We went up the ladder at sunset and made sure no unwanted animals were present , of course baboons had left a mess , there were also plenty of spider webs etc , but this is not in a tourist camp .
We heard hyena lapping water and others calling , not much else was heard untill there was the sound one would expect from an automatic swimming pool cleaner that was sucking air instead of water .
I lifted my head and looked down to see elephants had silently arrived and were drinking in the area underneath the platform , their backs scarcely a metre below us .
32 had arrived , so silently through the thorn thickets that neither of us had heard them untill they slurped the water . Alas , our movements disturbed them and they moved off .

This further underlines the fact we are just guests in their refuge , the wilderness , we should be quiet and respect their peace and tranquility and should consider ourselves to be exceptionally fortunate to be tolerated in their paradise .

Having been camping at Morula for a few days prior to the wilderness trail that I returned from that morning , I was allready very relaxed , the elephant experience was sufficient for me , I nodded off into a deep sleep .

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:14 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
OK, now that we have sorted out a few issues, let's keep it that way :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next