Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Monkeys in the Camps
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:42 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

I warn all folk coming to Malelane camp - but still find folk leaving food about, not using the baboon proof bins we do have for food scraps, and even throwing scraps and 'rotten' food out for the birds and animals :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: Even found some staff doing the same! Sheer frustration.

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:01 pm 

At Satara the monkeys certainly know how to move chairs from in front of fridges and did this to us even though we were inside the cottage at the time. They were aggressive and bared their teeth when confronted (also at Punda Maria) Did not find this was a probem two years ago, so maybe the probem is getting worse.
Just this last weekend, we have seen people feeding monkeys by hand with slices of bread at the riverside bungalows in Skukuza, so it is not just about failing to read or understand notices.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:40 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Please, please, please....... If you see people actually feeding animals/birds report them immediately so something can be done about it. Either call the camp manager or report to the Emergency number if not in camp.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:39 pm 

This December we stayed at Punda Maria, Olifants & Satara camp and found that there were monkey problems at all the camps. Monkey/Baboon - proof bins definitley need to be made standard in all camps and picnic sites. People must not feed them and shouldn't leave food out.

We used to turn our fridge towards the wall in Olifants & Satara and would tie our grocery cupboard with a sock (that way, it couldn't be opened). Visitors need to be made aware that there are monkeys/baboons that raid fridges & cupboards, so people need to be informed when they check-in. This is the bush, sometimes we get more visitors than we bargain for!

On that note, we had a fantastic time at those camps...absolute heaven! :D

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:53 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Reading about people feeding the baboons makes me despair but ultimately, you have to blame Sanparks for not being more forceful.

Feeding animals should be a major crime and the guilty people should be sentenced to a swift exit from the park with no refund. :naughty:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:24 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

There is still problems at Satara, although they are starting to build wire covered doors for the fridges to fit in. YOU NEED TO TURN THE FRIDGE WHEN YOU ARE NOT ON THE PATIO. We left our's for about 30 mins whilst we visited the pool and were raided. Fortunately the next door neighbour was around and prevented any loss.

The two ladies next door were unable to turn the fridge (they are on a ledge) so built a barricade using their table and chairs which seemed to work, but it's not very convenient. Neither is turning the fridge. It cost me a few beers last year as the door came open as I was turning the thing. :evil:

The dustbins at Satara are not monkey proof, so are an easy target, plus the bins on the patio are also open, so there is an attraction to them even without feeding.

At Shindwedzi there is a warning, but we were unable to turn the fridge around in the space. There are lockable cupboards for your groceries etc. but unfortunately no keys to lock them. We kept the dry groceries inside the chalet. The vervets seemed to be happy to raid the dustbins.

Ast binman bin mam?
Lancashire dialect

Ready for the next Cricket Weekend!

New Year trip 2014-2015 booked.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:07 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

It is truly shocking and I expect, as elsewhere, there will only be real action when there is a tragedy.

The problem cannot only be caused by people feeding them. They know there is easy food if they attack the chalets and many of their young likely only know of raiding the human camps as a way of finding food.

They probably have no idea how to go out and gather food as they should.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:12 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
It seems that monkeys are a problem in most camps and picnic spots now. I don't see a solution short of electrified fencing that is sufficiently away from trees, or shooting some of the culprits - monkeys not humans - but that will cause an uproar. If it happens, it needs to be done in full view of tourists so that it makes sufficient impact on those present that they become ardent ambassadors against feeding of animals.

Otherwise trap and transport.

Post subject: Are tents safe from Baboons
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:19 pm 

My husband and I are planning our camping trip to Kruger.
We are spending our first 3 days just outside the park at Pafuri River Camp, recuperating from the long flight over from the US.
My husband is a birder and is excited to bird that area.
We will work our way south down through the park and am feeling that it would be better to spend more days in fewer camps rather than blaze through trying to stay at as many camps as we can.
That said will we be able to leave our small tent standing while we are out and about?
Is it safe to say the tent would be safe from marauding baboons?

Post subject: Re: Are tents safe from Baboons
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:18 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Baboons and monkeys can be a problem and have learned to get into tents in some camps.
Keeping food secure is vital.
Perhaps even keep non canned items in your car with you rather than leave them in the tent.
If you leave a cooler box in the tent make sure you have a rope or luggage strap around it to prevent the raiders from opening it.
A small padlock to keep the zip ends together is also useful as some can open zips!

Ask at reception if there is a problem and ask fellow campers too.
Sometimes the problem is intermittent rather than constant.

Never give food scraps to any animal or bird, it will just encourage them to look for more - and lead to many other problems too.
Use baboon proof bins for any rubbish to help discourage the raiders.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:09 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The important thing is that fresh food must not be left where the smell will attract any animals , birds or insects . Unopened tins and bottles are safe stored outside (but not soft packaging such as chocolates and potato crisps) .
However when camping (and in permanent accomodation for that matter ) all foodstuffs must be inside a lockable container such as a coolbox or fridge . Because this may still give off an aroma the temptation will be there to break into a tent or caravan (and even a bungalow) to investigate . Therefore the only safe place is storing the coolbox inside the vehicle when away from the tent .
Leave the tent to return to as sleeping accomodation only .
I have seen a few times already how a caravan or bungalow left with open windows is raided because there are foodstuffs (even non -perishables) lying inside .
It is now an ingrained habit to keep all foods inside a container or fridge and physicaly lock it closed . If it dosn't have a lock or clasp I tape it closed with DUCT TAPE including the SANPARKS refrigerators which don't have clasps fitted .

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:11 am 

just close everything.

in october we were in tamboti, walked to the kitchen and startled a baboon that had climbed in through a window of our safari tent, the windows and mesg close with velcro, and we had left the inner and out flaps open and the mesh closed to air the tent a bit.
the baboon knew how to open the velcro jumped in ate our cheese and when he heard us he jumped back out of the window with a packet of apples(at least not my beers)
and made a run for it.

he ran to the tent next door and sat on the balcony looking at me up and down, cause i chased him with a brick(sorry the westrand coming out in me) cause my 1.5 year old daughter was with and we saw that program on tv where the baboon killed a baby. so i wan't taking any chances....just make sure everything is closed properly

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:22 am 

I have left food in tupperware containers thinking no way the monkeys would get to it ... ha ha ha! They did.

I have had monkeys run off with a well closed and sealed stainless steel sugar container - they could not open it, but took it anyway. I daresay hoping to open it at a later stage.

If they cannot smell food in your tent, it will be perfectly safe. I suggest you keep as much as you can with you in the boot of your car.

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:30 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Yes - at our camp the monkeys will steal any container or item that looks as if it might contain something interesting that they can carry away! They have even stolen medicines from a car which had open windows.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:36 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I have found that Vervet monkeys tend to be more of a problem than baboons.

Yes do not keep any food inside your tent, they will tear a nylon tent to get inside - happened to us once even though there was no food inside. And yes they can open tent zips so try to secure the zip with a padlock or wire.

Do not leave any food unguarded for even a second, they are so fast and nimble that they will grab food from right under your nose if you're not concentrating. Always ensure all food is out of sight at all times. Then you should not have any problems.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 18  Next