Skip to Content

Monkeys & Baboons in Camps/picnic Sites etc.

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
LeslieW

Re: Warning for Afsaal Picnic Spot KNP

Unread postby LeslieW » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:00 am

Although I wrote two weeks ago that I intended to avoid the picnic areas because of problems with the baboons and monkeys, when traveling from Satara to Skukuza, Tsohokwane is pretty much the only choice for lunch. On July 30th we had ordered toasted sandwiches and were in the process of sitting down with our cokes and a small wrapped packet of shortbread when a large monkey attempted to reach over me to grab the shortbread packet. My spouse grabbed the iron sign with our order number and threatened the monkey who then grabbed at me! before eventually retreating. :cry: Someone from the brai heard the noise and chased the monkeys across the suspension bridge. When our order arrived, I ate quickly to retreat to the automobile before opening our shortbread.

In Skukuza we also had monkey problems. We were staying in a bungalow in the 40s, on the far side of the conference centre, near the old swimming pool. One male monkey had dominion over our circle of bungalows. At mid-afternoon, while we were inside for a brief moment the large monkey stole an apple and a chocolate bar from our fridge. We came running out and the monkey acted as if we were disturbing him (of course we were). Another gentleman in the circle told me that they had stayed there for 4 nights and that the monkey had become increasingly aggressive towards him when he tried to chase it away.

chirinda
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby chirinda » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:30 pm

A rubber/plastic snake does frighten baboons. It must be a wiggly one and be shaken to make it wiggle, not thrown to lie still. Ours was used once to chase a baboon out of someone's car at a lookout point. He took one look at the man shaking it and was out of the car in one leap.

It probably wouldn't need to be a replica snake, but just something to shake to resemble a snake's movements.

Like the idea of a leopard picture. :D Someone sent me a birthday card once with a life-size cat face on the front. I showed it to my cat and she hissed at it. :D

Mfezi
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Mfezi » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:05 pm

I can think that they will not be scared anymore by a rubber snake lying still. I am sure they have got used to it. But when the snake moves, in what ever way, I don't think they will stick around to find out whether it is real or rubber.

I need to go and buy a rubber "cobra" for my trip later this month! :D

Grantmissy
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Grantmissy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:56 am

There is a very big aggressive Baboon at Nkulu picnic spot, the leader of the gang. We went into the shop the week before last, bought some sandwiches and as we left the shop he was upon us and grabbed one of the sandwiches from my hand. I do not think he is scared of humans any longer. It happened so quick and we did not expect it at all. Some of the people at the picnic spot told us that very same Baboon grabbed food from a small child’s hands during the same week. Take care at the picnic sites and keep your eye on the apes. I guess a person need to drape the snake as advised here around a person's neck and walk around with the wiggling snake :hmz: or alternatively put on a leopard suit to be left in peace by those Baboons and Monkeys :evil: .
Last edited by Grantmissy on Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everything in moderation, including moderation – Oscar Wilde

Josh of the Bushveld
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Josh of the Bushveld » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:01 am

I sense an opportunity in the market for a self-wriggling rubber snake!
The 'mite formerly known as joshilewis

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Lonehill_Birders

Unread postby Lonehill_Birders » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:31 am

Unfortunately these baboons are not "baboons" as far as distinguishing a real snake from a rubber one. We used to go diving at Cape Point Nature Reserve years ago when the baboons were attacking people. We bought the meanest looking rubber snake we could find, draped it over our cooler box, and the baboon grabbed it, bit into it, threw it aside and was into our cooler within 15 seconds :big_eyes: They will get a fright a couple of times, and afterwards they just ignore the decoys, as we saw time and again. The only deterrent was a sjambok that one could "crack" - something that the conservation guys kept with them to chase away these guys. They are very clever indeed, and unfortunately target women and children, knowing full well they are "soft targets".
Lonehill_Birders

yoda
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: monkey attacks lady in kruger - funny

Unread postby yoda » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:52 am

If those monkeys continue to behave like that they will end up having to be put down :evil:

Grantmissy
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Grantmissy » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:08 am

A person should be very careful when monkeys or baboons are in the vicinity. One day a few years back a grown man walked out of the shop at Nkulu with a take away sandwich in his hand and a full grown aggressive male baboon stormed him and grabbed the sandwich from his hand. If the man did not let go of the sandwich I am sure the baboon would have attacked him.

Monkeys and baboons are wonderful creatures that belong in the wild, unfortunately some humans create problems by feeding them. But they are also creatures that are attracted to human activity and a person should always take extra care and precaution.

Mars

Unread postby Mars » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:19 am

I agree with you, did post it in another topic but in short we stopped at Nkulu one morning just before 7 and no one not even the staff were there yet. I decided to use the toilet and then move on to Lower sabie.

once in the toilet a HUGE male baboon entered the toilet and started making ''who ho" sounds very very loud while shaking the zink, I was scared to death.

My best defence was a roll of toilet paper and when i looked up I could see that he could easily jump over the wall into the toilet. after sitting quietly for about 10 minutes and very slowly opening the door I realized he left.

Was a scary experience.

saraf

Re: Monkeys & Baboons in Camps/picnic Sites etc.

Unread postby saraf » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:29 am

I've never actually seen anyone feeding the monkeys and baboons on purpose, although I accept it happens. What I've witnessed is more of the accidental feeding - where scraps have been left on plates or unguarded morsels left for seconds.

Monkeys and baboons are intelligent, inquisitive animals and they see food around humans, even if we didn't feed them this would still happen I think. It's natural behaviour for them to steal food - they do it from each other so don't see anything different to stealing from us. Stealing food is a way of getting an easy meal and is preferable to foraging.
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

Lepardfan
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Lepardfan » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:05 pm

Meandering Mouse wrote:Oh dear, Mars, these critters are quick. Certainly a lesson to remember to close the window. I remember being ''ambushed'' at a look out close to Olifants. They managed to get my weeks breakfast muesli. The luxury kind from Woolies. :roll:

At least we know they have some good taste when it comes to Muesli MM :mrgreen:
I love to think of nature as an unlimited broadcasting station, through which God speaks to us every hour, if we will only tune in. ~George Washington Carver

One day closer to my next visit

Timepilot
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Timepilot » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:01 am

I know this thread is about the monkeys and baboons, but I was unpleasantly suprised at the agressiveness of the hornbills at Afsaal and at Satara. These litlte beggars were hopping right up to our plates and would have grabbed stuff if we were'nt alert.

While at Afsaal we saw an older fellow feeding these birds without a thought to the consequences - he only stopped when my FIL (ex-pres of the old Natal bird club) went over and had a word to him.

People don't get the damage they do by deliberately feeding wildlife and now there is a situation where you have fairly agressive birds making meals unpleasant on top of the apes.

As an aside, while we were in Amboseli in Kenya we stopped for lunch on a hilltop and it was plainly evident that people had been feeding the birds - it was like a scene from the movie "The Birds" where all the different species were gathered around ready to take a bite! :big_eyes: :doh:
“ Every year elephants were becoming scarcer and wilder south of the Zambezi, so that it had become impossible to make a living by hunting at all. ” FC Selous 1881

Grantmissy
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Grantmissy » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:40 am

Sometimes visitors from other countries are not familiar or aware of the behaviour of the baboons and monkeys. One day visitors from another country in the cottage next to us placed a bowl of shiny fruit on their table on the verandah. I though I should alert them of the temptation to the monkeys and baboons but we had a communication barrier as they did not understand my English as they spoke another language. My body and sign language trying to convey the message resulted in the kind lady giving me a banana from the fruit bowl. They soon found out what I meant when the troop of monkeys visited the camp.

RemiE
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby RemiE » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:16 am

Grantmissy wrote:They soon found out what I meant when the troop of monkeys visited the camp.

:mrgreen:

Grantmissy, I still believe many people don't read or care about reading or understanding the rules.
Any person that goes into a Nature Reserve should have some basic idea of the do’s and don’ts, but some lack wisdom........ :wall:

"Knowledge is knowing that tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad." - someone :tongue:
GLORY be to God for dappled things—Gerard Manley Hopkins (1844–89).
TR: KNP Dawn to Dusk Jan/Feb 2015

Lepardfan
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Lepardfan » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:49 am

"Knowledge is knowing that tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad." - someone :tongue:[/quote]

:funny:

From the advice I received in the camping section on the forum, we will now be arming ourselves with very potent waterguns filled with 50/50 water and vinegar whilst camping. I will also invest in a wiggly rubber snake or two :mrgreen:
I love to think of nature as an unlimited broadcasting station, through which God speaks to us every hour, if we will only tune in. ~George Washington Carver

One day closer to my next visit

Return to “Kruger National Park”