Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hyaena with foot bitten off
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:00 pm 

We also saw that hyaena - it was on the corner of the road leading to the staff village and Paul Kruger road (H11). We saw it two days in a row. The second day it was standing up and you could clearly see the hind leg minus the foot - the bones were sticking out! There were no other injuries on the body, so we presumed it was a snare. We came across a SANP staff member and reported it to her. When we passed a third time the hyaena was gone. It seemed to be in agony and could not walk. I also have pictures which I will try and post.

Post subject: hyena with pup on Phembeni-skukuza road
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:13 pm 

Hi guys i have just returned from the park today (tp coming soon i promise) and i just wanted to let you guys know that there is a hyena with a pup on the phembeni road towards skukuza! It is only found around 3pm, but in the morning it is not there but we looked in the afternoon 3 times and it was there!

If you are entering through the gate and are heading towards skukuza you will come across a 4 way stop +-5km from the gate! You can either head left towards Pretoriuskop, right on the S1 (i think) and straight towards skukuza! Head straight and it is exactly 1.4km from the this 4way stop on your left hand side!

If anyone is there go have a look and let me know if it is still there? Thought id let you guys know as the pup is still completely brown so it cant be that old! Will post pictures asap of them!!

Post subject: Re: hyena with pup on Phembeni-skukuza road
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:35 am 

I saw them both around the 13th of June. The pup was still pitch black and resembled a mongoose more than a hyena. The den is on the right hand side of the road when you are driving from Phabeni. The mother has a large scar on her neck.

Post subject: Re: hyena with pup on Phembeni-skukuza road
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:14 pm 

Hey when we saw them they were on the left hand side if headed from phebeni in a ditch on the side of the road!

This is them in the afternoon each picture taken on 3 different days! Pitty the grass was in the way as i could not get a clear picture of them:

the mother still had a large patch of hair missing on the neck but as i was watching the pup closely she would go to the mother and start bitting the neck and she was doing it over and over again! so not sure if it is a scar from her being in a fight or if it is from the pup bitting her continuously on her neck!

I came across this mongoose by the camp gate look closely at him and you can see he has only got one hand!

will be starting trip report soon!

Post subject: hyaena caught in a snare
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:41 pm 

We travelled down Lower Sabie road towards Croc Bridge on Sunday and came across a whole party of vets and rangers attending to a hyaena whose neck had been caught in a snare a few days ago.
It seemed that it was in a bad way.
Does anyone know what happened to it after its treatment. Saw Martie and a number of LS staff there helping out. Maybe one of them can let us know.

Post subject: Hyena Dens at Berg en Dal
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:48 pm 

Hi guys.Do any of u know of any Hyena Dens in the Berg en Dal area I can go to to photograph them?I am going to Berg en Dal from 3 to 7 May 2011(have never been there-Satara our camp)so want to know of some dens.Last time searched for dens in Satara(after tips from fellow Sanparks members)but was unseccesfull!!Hope this time lucky...

Can anyone help or know of some dens?Please help.

Post subject: Re: Hyena Dens at Berg en Dal
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:26 am 

There is one about 1km south of Afsaal, in a causeway under the main road

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:15 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Met 5 adult hyenas on the road between Afsaal and Renosterpan this morning, so they are in the area, but not sure where they have a den.

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:06 pm 

It is, we saw at least 9 pups of various ages there, from almost fully grown to some very small ones. Sadly people stop regularly to view and feed them. The adults have taken to "cleaning" Afsaal around closing time, if you are there around then you'll see the adults wandering around the tables. We drove up to Afsaal regularly and watched them each time, and once on the way back to Berg en Dal a little on the late side we even spotted wild dog.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:13 am 

Last year September, we came across some puppies on that 1km south of Afsaal spot. They were nearly flattened by some idiot trying to park on top of them :evil: .

This is what they looked like before that attempt:

We didn't see them after the idiot parker blocked the view for everyone, we left.

Hopefully, I'll see some pups there this year in September as well!

Mike

Post subject: Re: Hyaena stories / dens / info
Unread postPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:20 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

15 May 2012
6:47am
Brown Hyena- mom and pup
S1, between the H11 and S65
On the move, crossed the road.
5/5
Spotted by Stephan

Stephan (Reporter) went to the ranger at Skukuza and confirmed with him the Brown Hyena sighting. So it is the first confirmed sighting of them in a long time.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:10 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
Xankanka, we were also visiting Afsaal end Sep'10 and just south (about a km) of it on the tar road we saw this mother and cubs next to the road. Could be the same family? Thought sharing the pics...

Unread postPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:59 am 

Does anybody know of any active hyena dens in the Skukuza or Lower Sabie region?

Post subject: Re: Any hyena den?
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:31 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
On the H11 between Skuks and Paul Kruger road is a hyena den :thumbs_up:
There is another on the S114 near the weir :thumbs_up:

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Post subject: Re: Any hyena den?
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:57 am 

Transport Dam on the left hand side about 500 meters from the tar.