Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 376 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Best time to visit KNP - where and when
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:30 am 

Hi all :D

Was just wanting to know when the best time to visit the park is. In September 2006 I took my husband over (we now live in Australia) and we were incredibly blessed with what we saw. However it was soooooooo hot - like 45 degrees hot, so we really couldn't enjoy being outside in the picnic areas.

When I was still living in SA my family would often go in April - is this still a good time of season, or should we go at another time of year?

My other query is about safe seasons in regards to malaria - just curious as we will be trying for a baby the same time we're looking to be in the park, and I've read that it's not safe.

Thanks so much - I'm truly envious of those of you who frequently visit this amazing place!!!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:57 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Just to add what gerhard said.

I have been to Kruger in all of the seasons. Everytime I see something different and see sopmething else.

Just a quick guideline:

Jun-Aug - Best game viewing time, animals tend to congrigate close to waterholes. Bush is not thick which makes it easier to spot something.

Sep-Nov - Spring, First rains. New life, everything around seems alife and happy, bush is still not too thick so game viewing is good. Many animals give birth, or start mating.

Dec-Feb - Summer time is in full swing and bush and surroundings are lush and green. Tempratures can reach boiling point at midday. Best game viewing time are in the morning and afternoons when cooler tempratures allow animals to move around. Vegatation is thick and spotting game can be tricky at times.

Mar-May - End of Summer. Tempratures are still very hot during midday. Game viewing is eratic as animals are widely dispersed throughout the park. Vegatation is at its thickest which can make game viewing difficult at times. Last bit of thunderstorms come down before winter.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:06 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

There is a poll with the same topic, with all pro's and cons of every season.

I personally think April/May is a nice time to go, nature is not too dry yet, tempratures still warm but not extremely hot, nights are just perfect :dance:

Its kind of a personal choice and preference I guess :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:00 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Don't forget school holidays which are April (Easter) and July, so if you should either of those periods you should make your reservations as soon as possible.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:37 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
April is good, but I do like May. School holidays are over, the weather is perfect, sightings are excellent. There tends to be large herds of animals..
having said that, it's not the best time for birds and it is very brown.

In terms of early pregnancy, I would try rather to go from May onwards. It can still be rather wet in April and mozzies might still be around.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:04 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

April, May & June are great because its not too hot.
However if you are into raptors, you need to go in summer because all the migrants are here then.
BTW we also in Kruger in Sept 2006.
It was unbearable and for the 1st ever we tried to find accommodation outside the park as we were in tented accommodation with no air con.
I've never had it that hot even in Jan & Feb!
The winter months are great for game viewing as has already been said as the game tends to congregate near the waterholes and is easier to locate.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:05 pm 

Location: Kruger Park Lodge, Hazyview, Mpumalanga, South Africa
My 2 cents: We were last there in the last weeks of April, early May. Weather was stunning and the visibility was also good.

Post subject: Re: where to stay in summer? South or Middle of the Kruger
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:26 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The entire park is very productive in summer- if you want mammals, go south or central, for birds go north.
Note: The northern region is very remote and peaceful.
Its the perfect place to go if you want to escape all the day to day fuss.
Very quiet. J
However, the south are extremely productive regions, and lions and others big cats are spotted on a daily basis.
The temperature is a lot cooler than up north, especially in summer.

Birding Weekend 2014 - Satara 3

Exploring Letaba - '13-'14

Post subject: KRUGER - MARCH 2009
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:14 am 

We have this morning got a booking in KNP for 10 - 28 March 2009. :clap: :lol: We have never been in March before - what can one expect at this time of the year:- are the summer birds still around, temperatures, etc? It was very easy to get the booking exactly as we wanted it, so I am assuming it is not one of the busier times? (1 night Croc Bridge -just to get in, 3 nights Letaba, 5 nights Satara, 5 nights Lower Sabie.)

Post subject: Re: KRUGER - MARCH 2009
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:33 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi carolynn
We went the beginning of April this year and I must say, spotting animals was not that easy...The grass is very high and the bush very dense :(
The only nice thing was the pleasant temperatures during the day and night and seeing the wonderful thunderstorms :D

Post subject: Re: KRUGER - MARCH 2009
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:40 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hallo carolynn.
March is still hot and we have had great bird sightings during March.:
I would suggest that you must do most of your driving around Satara because the terrain always delivers the best sightings.
Maybe it will be best to stick to the river and Sunset Dam at Lower Sabie because of the dense bush.

Post subject: Trip to KNP in May
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:53 pm 

Hi everyone,
We are thinking of returning to KNP next May :dance: .
Both previous trips have been in September when park was very dry but game sightings good.
Presumably May should be greener (after the rains).
Can anyone give advice on how the weather will be in May. Also, as we are only intending visiting within the Mopani / Letaba / Olifants area what would game viewing be like at this time of year.
Advantages and disadvantages?

---------------------------------------
SEPTEMBER 2014
4/5 - Berg-en-Dal
6 - Skukuza
7/8 - Tamboti
9/10/11 - Shimuwini
12/13/14- Shingwedzi
15-19 - Letaba

Post subject: Re: Trip to KNP in May
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:36 pm 

We travel to Kruger every May/June and I can assure you the weather is usually very good at that time of the year, cool to cold nights and lovely warm to hot days with very little rain. :D
Game viewing is also good as the bush thins out and becomes browner.

Post subject: Re: Trip to KNP in May
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:24 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi there

Was in Kruger in May this year and although at the end of the rainy season, the bush is at its thickest. Game viewing is still great but you might find especially around Mopani that sightings might be erratic.
That said there are other advantages to this time. The bush will still be lush green and impala's are in their rutting season which makes for some great viewing.

Olifants and Letaba are both great camps and game viewing tend to be very good in the immediate vicinity.

Weather wise you will still have very hot days and night time will also not be bad at all (you might get a chilly night so take warm clothes in case). We sat in shorts and T-shirts outside during May and didn't have one cold night.

Hope you have a great time :)

Post subject: Re: New Years in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:20 pm 

Hi fieryneck,

We have spent the past 4 years in the kruger at new years.. Most camps have a special news years dinner, but that doesn't really go on past 11ish. Some camps organize a bush braai, which I've heard can go on pretty late and are more of a party. You would have to have a look closer to the time though. Otherwise.. besides the far away merriment of the staff, the camps are very quiet mostly.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 376 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next