Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:15 am 

I for one refuse to waste any further time on this issue, let the journalist continue, if she was a proper journalist she would be writing for some or other established publication, not posting lies on the net. Mucman I don't think we can assure you more than we already have. If u come hope u have a safe and satisfying trip. If you choose not to, you have missed out.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:33 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
All I have to say is that it's sloppy journalism.

Crime is a problem, yes.
However, one must be specific and back claims with facts.
Don't use generalisations and trite cliches.

I can sympathise with the journalist in her frustration with the "perceived" lack of action by governent, but then focus on that specific issue.

Post subject: We felt truly safe
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:44 am 

Hi - just wanted to say that my husband and I recently visited South Africa - we are from Australia - and the only place we felt truly safe was in KNP. We were SO relaxed, the only thing we were looking over our shoulders for were possible lions that might have entered the camp (lol I know I know "tourists").

To date it has been the most relaxing holiday we have ever been on - and we direct all our friends there. We loved it so much we're currently planning a return visit with our 10 month old baby. And to echo past posts - we'd NEVER put him in danger.

So to any tourists wondering about safety - put your minds at ease. The park team do an excellent job at looking after you. If you're still concerned do what we are going to do - fly directly to the park, hire a car, then fly back home - but for 'pete's' sake don't miss out on the park!

Bless you!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:10 am 

Look people, who are we trying to kid...? Crime is a huge issue in this country. I agree with the forumite (I think it was Mucman) who says that we have simply learnt to live with it, and on some level accept it. I come from a small town in the Eastern Cape where crime is petty, so in a way, I sympathise with the tourists who are nervous about travelling to the big cities in South Africa.
Having said this, do I avoid visiting the cities? - NO. Would I ever consider leaving this beautiful country? - NEVER. Do I feel safe in Kruger? - NO, I am totally terrified of the ellies :shock: Do I feel safe from crime in Kruger? - ABSOLUTELY. The simple fact is this: Everyday, you run the risk of being killed in a car accident / by a hurricane / tsunami / aids / cancer etc etc etc. Does that stop you from living - not! This country is beautiful and worth visiting. Kruger is the most awesome place I've ever been. We have to travel 1600km by road to just to get there (with 2 small children) and yet, we get there as often as we can - it's SO worth it. Please do not let these vastly exagerated articles put you off. I have lots of friends who have left South Africa, but guess what - a lot of them are starting to drift back. It's been said hundreds of times before - be cautious - don't stop in isolated places - don't stop alongside the road to ask for directions, rather ask at shops or fuel stations - don't leave your valuables lying around - a lot of South Africans are poor, and the temptation is great. Honestly, the only murder you are likely to see in Kruger (and that only if you are really lucky) is that of a zebra or impala :wink:

Post subject: Crime in Kruger Park
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:12 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

W have been going to Kruger Park now for 41 years.We go at least twice per per year, over this period we have been to KRUGER 121 times. Never ever have we experienced crime in KRUGER . We have just returned from a 12 day trip from Crocodile Bridge to Skukuza to Orpen to Satara . We also stayed at a resort close to Crocodile Bridge . No where were we even alerted of the possibility of crime or did we even get the feeling of such a possibility.Some camps give you keys to your accommodation others do not.This article is obviously SENSATIONALISM by a journalist that had to write a big scoop, fortunately it is far derived from any truth. Anyone who wants to go to KRUGER to have peace and to enjoy nature - THIS IS THE PLACE TO GO TO.The only offenders you will see will be tourists who break the rules eg. get out of their vehicles in unauthorised places and who hang out of their vehicles at sightings.We must not compare KRUGER with any other place in the world, there is no other such place for the true nature lover.Please be assured KRUGER is safe , go there , enjoy it, and see for yourself.

Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Post subject: Re: Crime in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:18 pm 

Now, after my very interesting trip to South Africa, where I also spent two weeks in the Kruger Park (Punda Maria, Satara, Skukuza and Croc Bridge), I found the security situation very good. I must now read about robberies and attacks in Satara and Afsaal.

It surprises me, however, that there are little or no "official reports" like
newspaper articles. So it seems to be mostly hearsay.

Well, i think without increased security measures it will not rest or stop.

However, if a part of the management or the local staff is actually corrupt, there will be serious trouble, as one can see.

Some will only wake up, when the first tourists from Europe or the USA will be murdered. If such messages go through the media, it will have no good effect to the tourism to the park. But, perhaps, more space for the South Africans :lol: .

My trip, to tell you, was wonderful and Kruger Park simply fantastic. I will return soon- Sep. 09 .

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:14 pm 

Reading the posts about crime in SA and especially KNP I must admit that I´m not sure what damages the reputation of SA more, the crime or articles and comments like the one which started the discussion.

Been to SA last year and drove all the way from JHB through KNP, Swaziland, Kwazulu Natal, etc. etc. to Cape Town (exept for a flight from Durban to Port Elisabeth but that had nothing to do with safety, more with time saved) and I have never felt unsafe or what so ever.

Frankly, I live in a town up north in Holland which has also a high crime rate in Holland (used to be in the top 5) and late at night in the shopping area, I felt much more unsafe than I did in SA. For example, there are also a lot of places in Amsterdam where I would walk around late at night in the dark and I bet there are also such places in Munich (I know there are e.g. in Hamburg, does Reeperbahn rings a bell?).

So where is it safe in the world? Guess nowhere. If you´re not using common sense and behave like a "real" tourist, your the hot spot anywhere (whether it be in NY, Paris or Hong Kong). Of course you need to be very careful, but that´s something you have to do everywhere.

It made me real sad that when we got back from our trip to SA last year, a lot of people asked us "was it safe in SA, you hear such awful stories". What I have seen is people working really hard to get the country on his feet and I really appreciated that!

We will go to SA next September and I really hope that we have the same great time as we did last year.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:56 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Well said 3aces :clap: :clap:

If you are looking for trouble, you can find it in any city in the world.

If you are aware, and don't flash wealth around in poor areas, you will be 'lucky' to see any crime, or very unluckt if it happens to you.

There is no point in being paranoid and scared witless, be positive.

By the same token, if we all were an example and obeyed the law and were humble not arrogant and aggressive if it were pointed out to us that we were transgressing, there would be less crime.

It starts with littering, having 15 items in the 10 item queue, so let's all try to be an example, and if we see people doing it, don't mutter to yourself, say something, point it out, and the chancers who get away with it will be stopped.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:39 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Mentioning the theft at Satara here on the forum and discussing it here is very important, it reminds old timers like me that times have changed, previously items of value were left in the accomodation while out on a game drive for a day. Upon returning it would still be, there just possibly more neatly arranged I am mentioning cameras, binoculars clothing, even a PDA or a handbag, even money dropped would be found on the bedside table.

No need to lock, there were no locks to doors, (they weren't required). Some things have indeed changed ! :(

Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:03 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I would say that most of us, Saffie and non alike, probably come from a place with a higher crime rate than you'd find in Kruger. The recent crime and negative posts should be kept in perspective.

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:38 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I agree ladylucy me too, never had any problem at all.Going back next year. The hospitality of South Africans is second to none.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:40 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
ladylucy wrote:
As a foreign visitor to South Africa may I say my husband and I have travelled the length and breadth of your beautiful country many times; as often as finance allows and have never had any problems from crime. We did I admit have a debit card cloned and our bank account cleaned out!!!! ( our wonderful bank reimbursed us within a couple of weeks) but this could have occured anywhere, as for crime in the Kruger Bah Poppycock. :roll: We are counting the days till we are back (43) .
:clap: :clap:

I live here and have not been a vicctim except for burglary before we got a rottweiler.

IF YOU DON"T go to dodgy places, you will be unlucky to be a victim.

It is the fear that turns into paranoia.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:07 pm 

BrooklynBirder wrote:
So this thread got me thinking about security for our valuables while out (say, at the restaurant or the pool or laundry or wherever I might not drag all my camera equipment with me; and I will have quite a bit! Not to mention laptop etc.) And no, I am not particularly worried about Kruger vs other destinations we've traveled to, especially some areas of South and Central America...but I am just wondering what folks in the know suggest. I presume there are no safes in the rooms. I guess I will bring my "Pacsafe" which is a steel mesh bag I can put my camera backpack in and lock to something in the room. Any other suggestions? Do all the rondavals have locks, at least?

OK - firstly the attack at Satara is the only incident of its kind I've ever heard about in Kruger, anywhere. On the other hand I'm always hearing stories of lost wallets etc being returned safely to owners with nothing missing.

Secondly - always have a camera (and binoculars) with you at all times, laundry, restaurants, you never know what you might see. You don't have them with you, you'll see something worth taking a photo of. It's called Sod's Law.

Thirdly all rondavels have locks. If you keep your stuff out of sight you should be OK. Remember it's not human thieves you have to worry about - inquisitive monkeys could do lot of damage to a camera if they pick it up. If you are really worried take a spare padlock and lock your stuff in the wardrobe when you are out.

Lastly - have a great trip and please come back and show us the photos you take with your camera.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:10 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I am English and lived in South Africa for ten years. I visited KNP many times, Etosha, the Arid Parks, KwazuluNatal, Mala mala and I have been to Mocambique several times.

South Africans are exceptionally patriotic which is good, but here in the UK, we will sit and discuss things and debate situations critically, whereas South Africans get upset if they think their beloved South Africa is being criticised. Talking about problems is about democracy, not about disloyalty or "If you don't like it don't come here".

South Africa is the engine of Africa and I know from living there, it has the get-up-and-go of a young America. I know in reality you may feel helpless about the crime and to some extent that is true. But starting with the children at school, they need to be educated on their heritage, especially The Kruger which was the beginning of conservation in Africa, and all the wonderful animals that are their heritage too.

I am shocked to read here of KNP fences broken down, people bathing in the rivers and doing their laundry and their goats and cattle encroaching on KNP. :(

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:07 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I would just like to point that there is a very dedicated team that investigate all crime in Kruger, and having just recently met the "Man in Charge" I believe that everything possible is being done to combat all forms of crime in Kruger. Sadly, the world wide economy is not helping the situation. And the market in the east for rhino horns and ivory contribute hugely to the problem

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next