Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Mozambique people
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:09 pm 

I wonder if anyone else has had the experience that we had a few years ago when we were stopped on a road near Punda Maria camp by a guy from Mozambique ! He ran up to our car with an empty plastic water bottle and was obviously in a bad way. Not wanting to abandon him in the middle of the bush, we chucked him in the back of the car, gave him some water and returned him to Punda Maria where he was fed and watered and then driven back to Mozambique later in the day. His name was James and this was the tenth (!) time he'd tried to make it through the Kruger to try to get some work in South Africa. The problem, he explained, was carrying the necessary amount of water for a three-day trip. I asked him if he'd try again. "Yes, and I will carry more water next time" he replied with a grin.

Next time you're having a bad day, just think how desperate his situation in Mozambique must have been to have driven him to this extreme.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:35 pm 
Thank you for helping the guy Bushwalker, I’m sure he was VERY grateful for your assistance. These people are fully aware of the dangers they face crossing through Kruger, but to them that is a minor compared to the poverty they left behind when they go to, what they perceive to be, the “promised land”. Sadly they often go through al these dangers to reach SA, just to get seriously disillusioned with what the “promised land” actually holds.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:59 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Bushwalker,
I think this guy was the inspiration for your Forum login name :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:33 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:funny:

But it does beg the question: what was the inspiration for your forum name, Bennievis? :hmz:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:42 pm 

A couple of weeks ago we did the Lebombo Eco Trail in Kruger, which runs along the Moz border. There was evidence of people coming through the fence, particularly in one spot, where we saw fresh footprints. It really tore at me to see just how desperate these people must be to risk their lives like they do. It is not a 20km walk for them. They must walk miles on the Moz side, and then again miles and miles once in Kruger - let alone facing the danger of lions etc.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:00 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Yes DinkBird it is very sad indeed. This situation is not new as you know. If my memory serves me right it was already going on way back in the '70s during the Frelimo war.
Its a trip I don't want to attempt myself, espcially after watching some documentaries showing if man can climb the tree, so can lion. Eish :shock:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:24 am 

Yes :( I am really reluctant to post some of the gory stories I heard while in KNP, but suffice to say, it takes little imagination to realise these folk are sitting ducks for the predators. Yet many do make it through, only to be taken back to Moz, and to return again and again and again I believe.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:31 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

About 3 weeks ago, after returning from Punda, we were about 5km from Pafuri-gate when the Police stopped us and asked for assistance. They had caught 25 Zimbabweans, and had no more place left on there vehicles. I had to transport 11 Zimmies on the back of my double-cab back to Pafuri. I spoke to one of the zimmies named Luckson. He told me that they had been walking around in KNp for 3 days without water or food, and were desperately looking for help. They didn't;t even resist arrest/ran away.

My mother-in-law was in tears, but unfortunately this is an ongoing thing that happens daily. It's one thing to hear about the situation oer the news, but another to see it in real life.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:20 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
That is so sad.

I recently read a book, "The Dressing Station", by Jonathan Kaplan. Its an emergency surgoen's odyssey. It tells of desparate areas and hair raising situations.
There is a chapter devoted to Mozambique and the destruction of war on people and wild life. It was so distressing that I actually stopped reading.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:20 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Having been stationed in the KNP during national service I can tell you all some dreadfull tales of loss. As this is a family forum I think it will be unsuited, but percentages of those who try & not survived is scary. There was even stories of a pride of lions just north of the Sabie in the Muntshe area turning to maneating.

Then 5 years later I went to live & work in Moz. It is a fantastic country with very special people. & Just when they came right.....The floods of 2000. I have never seen so much death & destruction of human life in my years on earth. That was very sad, but these people are just so resolute, it is coming right again. Unfortunately there is a lot of unethical people now taking advantage of the people for their own financial benifit. But I beleive Moz will suvive & become better due to it's people. :clap:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:41 am 
Scipio wrote:
But I beleive Moz will suvive & become better due to it's people. :clap:

:clap: :clap: :thumbs_up:
The Mozambican people are indeed very special people and they have an incredible drive to better themselves.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:20 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Well said, Scipio!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:46 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Looking at our current power woes, and difficultys in getting wrong doers in government punished, I wonder if we will allow S.A. to get to the state that our people will be trying to get to Moz from South Africa one of these days !

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:01 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

In all honesty, I will not mind staying in Moz, Botswana, Zambia at all. In 1994 I took a trip in a old Landy(Doing a thesis trying to prove Africa's economy will collapse in the absence of Bribery & Corruption can you beleive :shock: ) & right past Ethiopia to a small country named Eretrea. Used the east of Africa for the trip & came down through Moz. Moz. really impressed me there.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:23 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Mozambique has potential.
Botswana runs well and Zambia is really proving itself also.

Africa needs country's like that to lead the way so to speak.