Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Internet/3G access in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:54 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

@iLoveMeerkats!: The Vodacom mobile broadband stick is the same thing as a dongle which is the same thing as a USB wireless modem..... don't worry I got confused with the different terminology too.
We are also going to get a pre-paid and pre-activated USB wireless modem to pick up at the airport to use with a little netbook whilst there in August/Sept. but will still have our cheapie mobile phone with travelsim.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:31 pm 

I am wondering how we ever managed to survive in Kruger in the days before mobile phones and 3G and Internet and SanParks Forums.

I made a decison that we would not use the internet in Kruger at all. Partly though because I was paranoid I barred the wife from going on facebook when we were in SA and Kruger and checkling us in on holiday. Reason is I had heard stories (rumours) of thiefs/burglars who see via facebook that you are overseas on holiday and can then break into your home in peace. It wasn't long though before she had checked us in Satara on facebook (the will power of a woman :) )and then before you knew it every evening we would both update all our friends with our days sightings etc.

4 - 7 March 2014 - Talamati
8- 11 March 2014 - Biyamiti

Can't Wait !!!

Unread postPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:15 pm 

Internet in Skukuza currently has the following speeds:

1. Vodacom 3G: http://t.co/mSKdn9Ll Links to speedtest results 3May 2012
2. Telkom ASDL at Conference Area: http://t.co/l6zjsSyN Links to speedtest results 2 May 2012

Post subject: Cell (mobile) phone coverage
Unread postPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:28 pm 

We are from the USA and will be returning to Kruger in a few weeks. We were there this past September. Before leaving on our trip in September I made arrangements with our cell phone company to add the "International Roaming Plan". Much to our surprise and dissatisfaction I was unable to make any calls even though the Network Carrier showed on my cell phone, (Cell C, VodaCom and MTN) in our travels. We only were able to get the phone to work while in the Joberg airport while waiting for our plane to return home.

My question is, was this an unusual occurrence? While in Kruger I spoke with others from the US that I met who also encountered this problem. One other man, who held up an OLD Nokia phone, said he brought the old phone from home, purchased a SIM card in Joberg (somewhere), and the phone worked quite well.
If this is the case, I am bringing an old Nokia phone on this trip. Where can I purchase a SIM card? At Joberg airport? Anywhere else? Has the cell phone connections been re-established? I'd hate to be out in the wild and need assistance but not be able to raise anyone on the mobile phone. Just for grins, I'm adding the International Roaming Plan for the month. Maybe it will work this time.
Any help will be welcomed.
Thanks,
Anita

Post subject: Re: Cell (mobile) phone coverage
Unread postPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:50 am 

Anita, you can get a SIM card at the airport, however, many US based phones will NOT work as they are not able to accept the "foreign" SIM card. You can rent a South African phone at the airport and if you don't use it (saving it only for emergencies) it is really very cheap - all you have to pay for is insurance. I think we paid about a dollar a day on our last trip. We actually picked ours up at the Mpumalanga airport and they were very nice.

Also, just so you know...the reception in Kruger is not really very good. Phones work in the camps, but when you are out in the bush there is a very good chance that you will not have any reception no matter what phone you have. Well, I suppose you could get a satellite phone but that would be even more expensive.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:31 am 

Overseas visitors please note that if you do hire a phone or buy a SIM card you have to arrange it in advance, due to South African law. There is a topic about cell phones/reception somewhere but I can't seem to find it at the moment.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:42 pm 

In the USA the cell networks use GSM Band 850/1900 Mhz
In South Africa we use GSM 900 and 1800. A few locations like Jhb are testing with other frequencies, this might be why you got it working at the airport. So your handset might detect the network but will not be able to connect to it, due to the wrong frequency. This is why an "old nokia" works perfectly with a local simcard.

http://www.worldtimezone.com/gsm.html

Best bet would be to rent a handset at the airport or even easier, purchase a cheap prepaid mobile device + simcard in south africa. Most mtn, vodacom or pep stores shops will have low cost devices.
You dont need a fancy phone, get the cheapest device you find.

I am currently in the park till 28may. Reception hee is very bad. Only the major camps have signal. Dont expect to find goodsignalin the game viewing area.

Post subject: Re: Wireless 3G Internet & Cell phone Access
Unread postPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:29 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Coming from the USA, you need to have a dual band GSM phone that accepts SIM cards. My SO and I have used dual Band phones in South Africa on multiple occasions. SO keeps hers as it is, and pays International roaming rates to keep in contact with her Veterinary Practice by text and phone, while I purchase a SIM card at the Airport when we arrive so that I can place local calls.

Post subject: Wifi or internet
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:54 am 

Hi,

I am so excited for my upcoming trip to Kruger at the end of the month. I'll be leaving my wife and children behind, so I'm trying to figure out the best way to stay in contact with them. I know this is going to sound stupid, but is there Wifi in the parks? We usually travel to national parks to get away from the chaos of life (including technology), but now I find myself hoping that I can access the internet so that we can Skype.

I'll be spending one night at Skukuza, Lower Sabie, Satara, and Olifants.

I appreciate any information you can share.

Regards,
Seth

Post subject: Re: Wifi or internet
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:29 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Sethch, I always use 3G internet connection. All the camps chosen have fairly good reception.

I know that when Melph was here from Australia, she was able to get a dongle, or whatever you call it, and buy bundles of data.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:39 am 

Seth, you should be able to Skype in those camps :thumbs_up: Just remember that you are out in the bush and internet connections are not always reliable, and not always 3G 'speed'; if that makes sense. But you should be able to connect and use the text option at the very least.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:58 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Yes I always use a dongle USB modem when in SA.

The dongles cost about R350 and then you can buy a data bundle to suit you.

Skukuza has 3G which is quite fast, but all the other camps have 2G which is much slower.
Having said that it is still enough to email and probably Skype usually.

Hope you sort something out, and have a wonderful trip. :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Pay phones?
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:52 am 

Hi all,

Are there pay phones at all of the guest camps and throughout Kruger?

Thanks,
Seth

Post subject: Re: Pay phones?
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:37 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
I remember using a payphone at Pretoriuskop 2 years ago, somewhere near the shop

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015

Post subject: Re: Pay phones?
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:43 am 

Hi Sethch, yes there are, although I don't think the one at Tamboti has been connected for years. However you will need to get a "phone card" from the shops. The card may be an actual card or is more likely to be a receipt with a number printed on it that you will need to enter into the phone before you dial the number.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next