Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Tethering to Get Internet?
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:25 am 

kbf1kbf1 wrote:
I know for some this question will be blasphemous and it might even get taken down, but we're bringing along a millennial or Gen Y for three weeks in Kruger and I don't know if he can go that long without the Web.

We'll be staying in Shingwedzi and Satara camps later this month for part of the three weeks and I understand that neither camp has wifi, but both have cell phone service. That should mean that he would be able to tether his computer to his laptop and get on the Web. Am I right in believing that? If so, any suggestions on which cell service's sim card we should get, and how expensive the data charge is?

Also, we have been monitoring "Kruger Sightings" on our cell phones with great anticipation, but we are curious about cell service out on the roads. It seems like people are uploading their sightings real time while out in the Park, but that would imply cell phone service. Am I missing something?

Any other input will be much appreciated for KNP Newbies who are waiting for take off with great anticipation.

Thank you

Hi kbf1kbf1 - If you are bringing a laptop, then best to buy a 'dongle' with a sim card and load that with pre-paid data time from one of the big cellphone companies.
If you can add data to your cellphone, that will allow you to also access internet from the phone. But just first check compatibility with SA networks/sim cards etc.

Generally, there is only cell phone service for a radius of about 5-7km outside the main camps.
You might find the odd spot in the park where you will get service, but do not rely on that.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:02 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi kbf1kbf1 - this is being posted from Punda Maria Camp where we have full 3G signal on our dongle. It looks as if the signal has been upgraded since Crested Val was in Shingwedzi as we also had full signal there for the 2 weeks that we stayed. Mopani camp has a wi-fi area in the Conference centre where airtime can be bought. (We also used our own dongle in Mopani Laundry whilst waiting for the washing machine to finish!)
Compared to 2 years ago the Internet signal is 100% better and does not bomb out as much as it used too.......just try to get friends/family to hold back on large e-mails and not to send you any pictures until you get home.
Enjoy your stay!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:21 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Definitely use Vodacom as a provider. Our Cell C dongle never works. But Vodacom does. Not sure about MTN. The cellphone reception throughout the park is quite patchy. Definitely good around camps, and then patchy inbetween. I've used "Kruger Sightings" and sometimes, if there is good reception at a sighting - it goes through and gets posted at the time. But if there is a sighting at a spot of poor reception, the post only goes through once you're back in good reception. So yes - some of the posts are real time, others slightly delayed.

Having said all of the above, I try and use these "distractions" in KNP as little as possible, and for as short as possible. It is so nice to just sit and listen, just be quiet and not have contact with everything out there all the time. I hope your son/daughter will also like that part of KNP... :D

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:07 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Kite,

When we stayed at Punda Maria (2013), we had Internet access via Vodacom USB modem. It was not 3G but still good enough for online access. We stayed at Punda, Bateleur, Mopani, Letaba, Satara and Berg-en-dal. Our experience last year was good signal at all camps except Bateleur ( no signal) and Berg en dal- had to move around to find signal.

Hopefully PNF gives you more updated info.

KNP July 2013

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:54 am 

I have always only used Vodacom, and had the odd times it was totally down, and MTN was working. So I actually bought a MTN sim card as back up, but when I got to the park, found they had not properly 'initialized it' so it was useless :evil:

However, I think it is a case of much of a muchness in the end. Hit and miss for both suppliers from time to time :lol:

Post subject: wifi
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:35 am 

Can anybody tell me about wifi in Kruger, where is it available and what steps do I need to take to obtain this. Husband is self employed and needs to stay in touch with his workers in the US. Usually it is enough to keep in touch from family homes but this time we will be there for almost 3 weeks (yeah) so needs it there as well if possible. I know that cell phone access is available in most camps, have used that, so wifi specific info will be much appreciated.

Bridget

Post subject: Re: wifi
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:39 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Bridget, I had the same needs the last time I visited. As I understand it, wifi as we understand it in the States isn't an option in KNP. Skukuza might be the exception with an internet cafe, but I can't say for certain.

My suggestion is to contact your US phone carrier for international plans and see if they cover SA. Even then, email is your best bet and VPN/web can be spotty depending upon your camps and the cell reception.

A friend of mine took along an older Kindle that had free cell access and was able to use gmail, but I went the route of renting a dongle and connecting that way.

Other mites may have other advice, but wanted to chime in with my experience. :)

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:31 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
On our last visit 2 weeks ago, WiFi seems to be available in the conference centres in those camps that have them. Skukuza and Mopani both have conference centres and had WiFi available, but you had to go to the conference centres to use it. I can't comment on the speed, as we never used it.

Is the bush calling loudly? Read about the Bush Camps presented by the HR's

July/August 2014
27-30 Tamboti (Number 40!!!)
30-1 Letaba
1-4 Shingwedzi
4-6 Mopani

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:13 am 

Tusk, you might find the info here useful - link

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:19 am 

Hi,

we use a MIFI router and have perfect access in all the camps, get yourself a local sim card and you are off :)

http://www.amazon.com/Huawei-Mobile-Hot ... words=mifi

Post subject: Re: Wireless 3G Internet & Cell phone Access
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:08 am 

Thanks everybody for the helpful tips. Husband can now figure out the best way.

Bridget

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8