Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kruger Honeymoon
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:39 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Mad4wildlife :D a very warm welcome and my congratulations to you both.

I do rather like Duco's suggestion. If Roodewal is not available, Olifants is the other option.

Post subject: Re: Kruger Honeymoon
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:50 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Phewwww - so much choices to make.
love all the suggestions that have come through.
Many moons ago I had the great honour of spending a good part of my honeymoon in Kruger.
We slowly worked our way from north to south in an old 200D Mercedes (our ship)(with loads of room on the back seat :redface: ).

Just sense that you have some apprehension to going north, but please don't.
Yes, it is a bit off the civilised track, but we still entertain our friends with our honeymoon stories from Punda Maria and Pafuri and Crooks Corner ( :redface: ).
One night in Punda we decided to eat at the camp restaurant - the only guests for the night.
They served us ostrich steak (didn't ask where it came from or the authenticity) and boiled up mielie pips......and that's it.......while sitting on those white plastic chairs and only the sound of the roof fan to quench the silence........and we still laugh about how "nice" the food was.
To top off the experience, there was ice-cream on the menu.
Well, we ended up with a bowl of Napoleon ice cubes :dance: :dance:
What I am really saying is that to me a honeymoon is all about experiences and not just about plush five-star stay-overs.

Anyway.....I would also get up north a bit.
If you are looking for private luxury in the north you may also want to consider the lodge that Wilderness Safaris run in a concession area near Pafuri. It is costly though, but certainly worth it for something like a honeymoon (just save up). We also go back to Shimuwini year after year because it is sooooo peaceful and outside of big-five country.
It is a small camp, just a handful of cottages and you can literally sit on the grass watching animals come down to the river to drink and find your soul.

Your honeymoon is all about memories, so plan carefully.
Ahhh memories.......some friends of ours got hold of our honeymoon itinerary and with the help of SANPARKS turned our very modest one-night two-bed rondavel at Satara into the most amazing surprise.
They carried a double bed in, put rose petals all over the place, enough cold champagne to drown a buffalo and decadent Swiss chocolate all over.........and the rest, as they say......is now a fond memory that we will never forget.

So.......go out there.
Try and choose some great camps, but remember to go with the flow and make memories.

Post subject: Honeymoon
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:50 pm 

Hi,

I am getting married in November. We decided to spend the first week of our honeymoon in the KNP. My wife-to-be has never been to the KNP and I haven't been in 6 4 years.

Now as it is a honeymoon we obviously want to make it a memorable and special time. We are going to the Natal Midlands afterwards.

My question is as follows:

If coming from Johannesburg where would you enter the KNP, what activities would you recommend, where would you stay and which gate would be the best to exit on our way to the Midlands.

We do not mind traveling, so we do not have to be based in one camp for the duration of the 7 days we want to spend in the KNP.

Thank you.

Frederick

Post subject: Re: Honeymoon
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:41 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:D Frederick - what a good choice for a honeymoon - your bride to be is a very lucky woman :thumbs_up:

:hmz: Now lets see :whistle:

My choice will be: entrance gate MALELANE. From there you can consider either Biyamiti Bush Camp or Croc Bridge or Lower Sabie. The LST2U's will be perfect, but I do not think you will get one open at this stage - very popular. The BD3U or BD2U's are stylish, modern and all have a wonderful view on the river - though not very private :twisted:

From there I shall also recommend Talamati or Tamboti, but make sure you get a luxury tent (own bathroom), the other tents are great but not for honeymoon :naughty:

Olifants, unit with a BV (best view) in the code or if not available, one with only a V (view on river) will do and I am sure will impress the bride :D

Letaba or Sirheni - both are beautiful, see what accom you can get where.

Sorry, cant help with the exit gate, but the other "Mites" will help - probably also Croc Bridge or Malelane.

Happy planning :think:

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:44 pm 

The problem with the bushcamps is that you have to cook (and prepare the food and clean up afterwards) and if I was on honeymoon it wouldn't be high on my to-do list.

I would say any gate from Phalaborwa south is accessable from Jo'burg. Stick to Letaba/Olifants and south if it is your wife's first time, while the north is beautiful it can take some getting used to.

If you can get a perimeter (U) or river view unit (V) at Olifants that would be very nice. And the safari tents at Lower Sabie would be a good option. The semi-luxury bungalows at Skukuza would be a nice treat as well. I know - Skukuza can be a bit busy for a honeymoon but mid-week it tends to be quieter.

Try a bush braai from Lower Sabie (just because I know they do them from there). I've never done it but I've heard good things about the Olifants River Walk as well.

Congratulations on your wedding and I hope you have a fantastic honeymoon.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:12 pm 

DuQues wrote:
Welcome and congrats Frederick!

As it is a honeymoon I assume there is some budget, but a little wider than for a normal vacation?
Knowing that would make it easier to make some suggestions. I would for instance suggest Talamati, but if budget is tighter switch that to Tamboti.

Is there a real urge for privacy (I mean during the day! :wink: ) or do you not mind busier areas?

My budget is about R20k for the 2 week holiday. We are campers and nature lovers. We will be on honeymoon from 9 November - 27 November.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:16 pm 

Thank you for all the advice so far.

@saraf I like the Bush braai idea.

@scipio - I don;t want to spend the whole time indoors. Cause then I can just book a room at Hotel 224 in pta :lol:

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:24 pm 

FCL, Camping, NOW you are talking, I got a few ideas there. :twisted:

But seriously, try Shipandane at least one night, it is awesome. :thumbs_up:

Then also Tsendze, Balule and Punda, although it is north, it is just great stuff.

PS: There are some open air showers for a moonlight bathe at Tsendze. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:33 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

A warm welcome FCL.. I would also suggest a bush braai. 8)

I would go for Biyamiti in the south and/or Sirheni in the north. Both are camps with a wonderful atmosphere.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:00 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Scipio wrote:
But seriously, try Shipandane at least one night, it is awesome. :thumbs_up:

But you are not able to see the availability online, for that you will have to call.
Sleeping in a hide is a very good idea. Shipandane will however move you more northerly.

And then a place like Sirheni really pops to the fore.... As does Punda tents.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:27 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Would suggest 2 nights at Tamboti in a luxury tent, just for the experience, so different to the camps and bush camps.

Remember you don't want to be unpacking and packing up daily, so maybe choose 3 camps at maximum. November is also a hot month, so would be nice to get back to camp for a bit over the hottest period of the day and have a swimming pool to cool down in.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:13 am 

Thank you all for the replies. Appreciate the help.

Two things that stands out for me is the bush braai and the morning walk.

Also the hides. Can you book to sleep over in a hide?

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:16 am 

Yes you can book Shipandani hide near Mopani and Sable hide near Phalaborwa gate. Only one night allowed and you need to contact Reservations to book them, they cannot be booked using the on-line booking system.

Post subject: Re: Double Beds??
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:47 pm 

Good evening to everyone,

Only two more weeks to go for SA and three to Kruger :dance:

... and while preparing, I am wondering about the beds at Berg en Dal Camp.
Could someone help me, please? Do all the bungalows at Berg en Dal have single beds? Is ist possible to slide them together? Hope so, because my mosquito-net is one for two .... otherwise I have to get a second one ?!?! :shock:

Thank you!
greetings, Mel

Post subject: Re: Double Beds??
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:00 pm 

I'm not sure about all the bungalows at BnD but I think the beds there are all built into the walls, so no you can't move them.

However all the bungalows have netting on the windows so there should be no need for a mosquito net over the bed, just take normal precautions, like burning insect repellant coils and making sure the indoor lights are switched off when you open the outside doors after dark. In addition air con can keep them at bay (they don't like cold air) or fans (they don't like air movement).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next