Skip to Content

Advice on trip to KNP in October 2015.

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Ockert

Advice on trip to KNP in October 2015.

Unread postby Ockert » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:51 am

My wife is going to a conference at Mopani in October 2015 and we have booked a camping site at Tsendze from the Sunday to the next Saturday for the duration of the conference. We will be travelling from Port Elizabeth with our Jurgens Explorer caravan. We are planning to spend another week in the Park and to be back in PE on the next Sunday (i.e. entering the Park on the Sunday, 25/10/2015 and leaving on the Friday, 6/11/2015).

We would like to explore the Park north of Mopani and I have booked two nights (Saturday and Sunday) at Shingwedzi to do that. From there we want to go south so that we can leave the Park at either Crocodile Bridge or Malelane gates in the south to travel back on the N4 to PE.

Can you please advise me on the best options for camping from the Monday to the Friday morning. We thought of splitting the time into two nights at two camps, one in the center of the Park and one in the South. I also need to keep the distances that we have to travel in mind.

How far is a reasonable distance per day in the Park. I was thinking of staying at either Satara or Balule for two days and then two days at either Crocodile Bridge or Berg-en-Dal for the last two nights. Is the ~178 km from Shingwedzi to Satara/Balule and the ~165 km from Satara to Berg-en-Dal realistic distances?

Any advice or ideas would be appreciated thank you.

Regards
Ockert

Elsa

Re: Advice on trip to KNP in October 2015.

Unread postby Elsa » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:21 am

I think what you are thinking of looks fine to me Ockert! :thumbs_up:
As to whether you choose Satara, bigger busier camp or Balule, smaller rustic camp is a personal preference.
I would say Satara areas offers more road choices and is more central but again just MO.
The distances between camps are fine and easily doable provided you leave the camp early to allow time for stoppages, meals etc.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Please add your vote in the Website Community Choice Award

cheetahlady
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby cheetahlady » Sat May 02, 2015 4:38 am

We have done the Satara - Berg-en Dal route before. Stuck to the tar. Left Satara at gate opening (6am) and got to BnD at about 3 pm with stops at Tshokwane for brunch and Skukuza for brief shop/ comfort break. We took our time to allow for sightings, including a good 45 min at one waterhole.
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better
Albert Einstein

KNP June 2015
Mopani, Balule, Tamboti, Satara, Skukuza, Croc Bridge

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Sat May 02, 2015 4:48 am

What a wonderful opportunity, :D

You have some good advice there.

My choice would be Satara, mainly because it does have such good roads, and it makes the last trek a little bit easier.

I tend to be more a Croc Bidge person, because of the wonderful sightings that I have experienced there. I also like the intimacy of the camp. I have often traveled from Croc Bridge to Satara with time in my pocket.

Berg n Dal is such a well run camp though, that anthing would be a pleasure.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

leervis
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby leervis » Sat May 02, 2015 1:26 pm

Ockert, you will not do better than Balule. Smaller, more intimate, but really not far from the main tar road, 5 k's. Satara is also ok, but so big and busy.
26 - 29 August Balule
30 August - 1 September Sirheni
2 - 5 September Tsendze

9 - 12 November Punda Camping
13 November Letaba Safari Tent
14 - 17 Balule Camping

Return to “Kruger National Park”