Skip to Content

Camping in Kruger.

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Extra car??

Unread postby Snoobab » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:13 am

We camped last week in Satara with an extra vehicle on the site and the charge was R 15 per night extra. It very tricky for the camps to police this so they rely on honesty.

Re: Camping in Kruger

Unread postby 123 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:24 am

Hallo everybody

Thanks to the advice received here, we had a wonderful camping experience @ Skukuza.
We were fortunate enough to set up in the camping area just below safari tents 304 - 306. This is near the camp kitchen as well as ablutions and laundry.
The bathrooms were perfect - spacious, practical and always clean! We also had hot water at all times.
Power and water outlets are well spaced, but all sites did not have braai stands.It did look like they were in the process of "planting" new braai stands to all sites.
Standard black plastic as well as baboon-proof dustbins were available and cleaned daily together with the braai stands.
The camp kitchen also had no shortage of hot water for dishes and the boiling water on tap was so convenient, we never even used our own kettle.
We did not meet a lot of people @ the camp kitchen, it looks like most people does the dishes @ their campsites now as they are better equipped, or maybe it was because the camping area was very quiet despite the fact that it was fully booked according to reservations when we wanted to add another night to our stay!

Adding sightings such as leopard, wild dog, lion on a kill and ringed ground hornbill parents killing a snake to feed a chick to a perfect stay, and you have a perfect Kruger holiday!

Bragging Rights

Unread postby Madalla » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:47 am

I think I own the bragging rights on this.

We camped in Skukuza with a caravan, late 70's or early 80's. The children were still in school. The only available sites were on the left where the sites were on a very steep slope. The difference in height between the two wheels were about 30 cm. My towbar broke right off in the process of getting the caravan in the right position on that slope.
And there were no electrical hook up points then.

I wrote to SANPARKS, not expecting an answer.

I asked them to level the sites in Skukuza and told them what happened to me. I mentionmed that those sites were practally of no use to campers.

I also pointed out that caravan parks all over the country have now installed electricity hook up points for all sites. And that I could not see any reason why there none in Kruger. I also asked them to install electricty in the camping areas.

As I said, I did not expect to get any reply from them, but I was wrong.
I got a letter saying they have received my letter and were attending to my requests. They also promised to come back to me some time.

That was that and I thought yeah, talk is cheap.

Great was my surprise when, a couple of months later, I received a letter from them, proudly informing me that next time I visit Kruger I will be pleased to see that both my requests have been attended to.

That is why you can now camp on level stands in Skukuza and have electricity in all the camps.
I wish I was as rich as the family thinks I am and as clever as I think I am

Re: Camping at Kruger in summer

Unread postby DinkyBird » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:41 pm

Robynr wrote:Need various opinions please:

1. How unbearable is camping (tenting) in Kruger in summer?

2. What is the Lower Sabie camping (tenting) area like? Comments please regarding size of campsites, shady or not, condition of ablutions and any other advice/comments.

3. Opinions re which are good Kruger camps for tenting.

Hi Robynr!

1. It can get VERY hot, but one just adapts and uses cooling water sprays (buy a cheap plastic spray bottle from a supermarket, keep it full of cold water to spray yourself). If you are able to take a fan with, that will be a great help at night in the tent. And try and pitch in the shade. I would never not go to Kruger because of the heat in summer. And we have camped there in summer a good number of times.

2. Lower Sabie camping area is lovely. All sites level and all demarcated, but you cannot reserve a site. Some have good shade. There is a block of relatively 'new' ablutions, which are always clean and in good working condition. You cannot pitch next to the fence, but there is lovely bird life in the camp. We love LS - the camp and the position in the park.

3. Any camp in Kruger. Rather decide which part of the park you want to see, what you most wish to see on your trip, and then choose a camp in that area. If you would like a more rustic experience you can stay at Balule and/or Tsendze. If you prefer bigger camps, with shops/restaurants then choose the larger camps.

I am going to move this topic to the Kruger camps forum so you can get more assistance planning your trip. :D

Unread postby Elsa » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:27 pm

A very warm welcome to the forum Robynr! :clap:

DB has given you good advice re the heat situation in Summer and tips on how to combat it! :thumbs_up:

Do have a read through Campsites in Kruger which has invaluable advice on the various campsites with photos!
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:20 am

A warm welcome to you Robynr :gflower:

DB has given you a pretty good run down of Lower Sabie camp site.

I have camped a number of times in summer in Kruger. My one suggestion is that if you are heat sensitive, to chose a camp with a pool. It does make a tremendous difference when you need to cool down. It also makes sleeping at night much easier.

I love Croc Bridge, but I once took heat sensitive people there in summer and it was horrible for them.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Re: Safety of belongings in Caravan Parks

Unread postby DinkyBird » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:13 am

do we need to put all chairs, tables, and other belongings into the caravan while out or is it safe to leave them under the rally awning ?
No, you can safely leave them outside. Monkeys might come and sit in your chairs for a bit, or jump around on the tables, but if you leave no trace of foodstuffs, that is not likely. Lock all foods away, at all times, and obviously keep valuables/liquor locked away - the rest is perfectly safe. We camp for weeks at a stretch in KNP, and only every had problems with monkeys and squirrels stealing food we did not lock away properly.

A tip - fold up your camp chairs while out to save them from being used as loungers by the monkeys. The rest; what the eye does not see, the heart does not grieve .... We once saw a little group of monkeys doing their circus act rehearsals on a wash-line full of towels etc in Letaba ...

Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby leervis » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:20 am

Meandering Mouse wrote:glordon, I agree with DinkyBird.

Obviously, a degree of common sense is needed, but I have never experience theft, other than monkeys and baboons.

I never leave cameras, torches and binos in view, if I can possibly help it.

I do hope that you have a super stay.

I think MM has it covered, and we have never had a problem, with our tables, chairs, gas cylinders, lamps etc.etc.etc.. We did have one incident where a Red Kombi with a CX, Knysna registration was found to have removed meat from the freezer at Balule that was not theirs, but that is the only time I have heard of non-monkey theft.
10 -13 May Berg en Dal Camping
14 May Lower Sabie Chalet
15 - 18 Pretoriuskop Camping
19 May Satara Chalet
20 - 24 May Balule Camping

Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Location: Lost somewhere in the travel tales,and don't want to be found

Unread postby isinkwe » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:20 am

I have been caravanning in the Kruger for the past 25 years. I have never had anything removed from my campsite, nor at any other campsite anywhere else in the country for that matter. Campers don't steal from campers, is a silent rule I believe in.

Like previously said , these guys ImageImageImage will have a go at stealing though.

If you have a pop top caravan, make sure you close the roof when you go out , I have seen baboons and monkeys tearing the mesh to gain access to the caravan. That is one mess you don't want to find after a drive in the park.
KRUGERPARKING is good for your health. Keep on KRUGERPARKING.

Unread postby DinkyBird » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:33 pm

Ah yes, good tip about the pop top - and of course windows to be closed too!

We left the top up on our Conqueror Commander, to come back and find they little grey men and managed to pull the valcro loose :shock: The mess in the van was unbelievable :lol:

Return to “Kruger National Park”