Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 418 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: CAMPERS - show us your camp setup
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:34 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We've also ditched the blow up mattresses and replaced them with stretchers and foam mattresses. Its more comfortable, you dont get the cold off the ground in winter, you dont need to keep inflating the bed, it's much quicker to pack up and you have added packing space under the stretchers.

As far as lighting goes, I use a combination of rechargeable lamps for inside the tent, and 220v lighting outside. Im planning on changing this to 12v led's in the near future when I kit the trailer out with a 12 volt battery system with a charger, inverter as well as a a solar panel. The most expensive item will be replacing my 220v only campmaster freezer with a 12/220v freezer as I plan on spending more time in the future at camps like Tsendze and Balule (and possibly a KTP trip or 2 or 3 ).

Post subject: Re: CAMPERS - show us your camp setup
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:58 am 

Wow some of you guys and ladies are very well equipped for camping. I just bought a tent a few days ago, I made it my mission for 2014 to buy a camping item/s every month until we have the basic stuff.

My next items will I be buying beds. Now I have read a lot about what campers use and it seems that stretchers will be my best bet in stead of blowup mattresses.

Will be planning my first ever camp in Kruger next year during the cooler months, SO made it quite clear that camping in Kruger in summer is NOT a option, even though I tried to explain to her that Kruger is such a cool place :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: Camping in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:47 am 

Hi Campers, spent a Month in K from OS bringing most equipment with including simple stuff such as:
2 Man tent, sleeping bag, yoga style mattress, mug (coffee and cereal) tin plate knife, spoon and fork, $5 lights with sensors, bought an electric frying pan while there and had the greatest time with those basics. Even "walked" my "home" to a new site when a better one was found, light and sufficiently comfortable.
Upgrading to hut next Year as family members wary of tent as they haven't been to K before!!

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:40 pm 

So after a lot of sweet talk I convinced my SO to camp in Kruger over December. 8)

Of course this will also be my very first time camping in Kruger. :dance: :mrgreen:

After reading most of the advice given by some seasoned campers, I just wanted to know.... I am intending to bring a small bar fridge with us to keep meats frozen/cold as well as beverages, will it be safe in our tent from monkeys and baboons?(we have a lagoona cabin8 tent and will be placing the fridge in the front room) Will they still try to come in even though the fridge is closed with a rope or strap? We will be keeping all our other food in the trailer.

I really don't want the SO and my children be put of from camping by a incident that we could have avoided from the beginning.

It is also very difficult for us to decide which camps we will be camping at for the first time. Berg en Dal, Pretoriuskop is 2 of our current choices, any other suggestions. SO can't handle extreme heat so the northern part might not be a option. We intend to go for 10 nights

Any help or advice will be appreciated.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:20 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I leave my fridge/freezer in trailer in shade. I have 2 gazebos, 1 for us and 1 for the trailer. Then I leave trailer lid open a little when we are away for airflow.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:50 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I have witnessed baboons at Pretorius kop unzipping a smallish tent and getting inside to cause havoc, before I could get there and chase them away by clapping my hands and swinging my arms and shouting like a fishwife. (I think they took one look at this apparition and fled). But seriously baboons can cause a problem so strapping up your fridge is an option - but soon they will learn how to unstrap things. I like RobertT's advice about leaving the fridge in the trailer (with a gap for air). By the way we were warned at P Kop to put our popup top down when away from our caravan as baboons once got through the netting and messed a van up completely also left their "calling cards" inside on the beds etc. I wonder if the baboons are still so active at P Kop?

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:22 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Lepardfan, I am going to support Delene's post. The worst camping experience that I have had was at Pretorius Kop. I am not sure if it might have changed, but as much as I love the camp, I would not have it high on my list for camping.

It is also a camp where lots of people just stop over, so it can be quite busy in terms of people packing up very late at night, or early in the morning. I am sensitive to noise, so for me that is a ''no no''.

It would be interesting to hear from other mites.

I would recommend Berg n Dal and I have also had good experiences at Skukuza. It is a great camp for kids.

It is quite surprising how quiet Skuks can be at night, once all the visitors have gone. It is also a lovely camp for evening walks along the boardwalk.

Do take a fan. It is a lifesaver for those who are new to camping.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:48 am 

Thank you all for the advice so far>

RobertT it is a good option ,I just think that the trailer will be too low for the bar fridge to stand up straight, but sure we will work something out..

Dalene D that is exactly what I am scared off them monkeys and baboons destroying our little home from home, my SO will not take that very easily.

MM, I am with you we really love PK, but I don't want it to end up a disaster. SO will not even consider Skukz she says it is too busy and there is just too many people for her liking, even though I agree it can be quite quiet in the evenings.

So far it seems like 2 options Berg en Dal, and Satara. Having little shade @ Satara I might have to consider taking the portable aircon.(SO is a headache sufferer so if it is too hot she will not enjoy it at all).

One of my other concerns is camping space. Will there be enough for our camping equipment? Won't it be struggle with other campers being right on top of us?

Any Advice on this. :)

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:50 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Lepardfan, one of my favorite camping camps is Croc Bridge. It is just a super little camp and since they have moved the entrance away, it is a lot quieter.

The trees in the Croc Bridge central area are so shady that it provides a lovely place to sit during the day.

Some camps have very strictly laid out areas. If you don't mind not getting a perimeter site, Satara should not be a problem. I think the same with Berg n Dal.

Last time I camped at Croc Bridge I had lots of space, but I was happy to sacrifice the perimeter sites.

I don't know if Letaba is too far North for you, but it is possibly one of the best camping camps around. Lots of shade, and again, if you are happy with a non perimeter site, there should be ample room.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:08 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Agree, for camping Letaba is one of the better camps. Lots shade and space. I also have 1 of those misting fans, they are quieter and works a treat in the tent.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:25 pm 

Thanx for all the advice. :mrgreen:

Letaba is not too far north for me at all, it is just that game viewing for us there so far was not very lucrative ( I know being at the right time at the right place plays a big role).

I stayed in Croc Bridge once many years ago and it is a lovely camp, only problem there is no swimming pool. :( .

I personally would love to stay at Satara but as I have read there isn't a lot of shade. :wall:
It is quite difficult to make a final decision especially if you have to keep so many women happy. :mrgreen:

For me just being in Kruger is a blessing even if I just see bush veld the whole time I am there, it beats Joburg by far.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:32 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Lepardfan wrote:

I personally would love to stay at Satara but as I have read there isn't a lot of shade. :wall:
It is quite difficult to make a final decision especially if you have to keep so many women happy. :mrgreen:

I would then leave the women behind and all will be happy. :lol: :lol:

If I am in park camping for 10 days, I generally split it 5 days lower sabie and 5 days Letaba. Then you get to see a lot of game, but also relax in the north away from the crowds. Do 5 days Berg en Dal and 5 Letaba. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:02 pm 

Lol now that is a awesome idea leave them behind. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

RobertT you just gave me a very great idea and I might just follow your advice on this one. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:49 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

:thumbs_up: what are your dates in Dec?

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:53 pm 

So far I am planning from 2014-12-30 up to 2015-01-08. If possible i would like to ad a additional day or two.

SO and I still want to do a 21 day stay in the park doing a full North to South tour, that can only me magnificent.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 418 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next