Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 393 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: CAMP ADAPTERS
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:11 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
The 'blue plug' is designed for caravan input, so you need to get the adapter.

If you have a loooooong lead you might be able to plug it in at the scullery, which has 'nornal' plugs. :roll:

Post subject: Re: Camping in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:43 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Tieroog wrote:
Hi Francois.

We arrived at Satara today and as I am typing this, I am in bed in the caravan :D . The campsites are demarcated, but not numbered. They are a fair size. Caravan and tent. And plenty space on all sides to park the bakkie.

How long before your trip?

Thanks for the reply Tieroog.

We are only going in December. I have booked 2 stands as we will pitch four 3x3 domes and a gazebo so was wondering if it will be able to take it plus the vehicles but is seems so.

Typing this from a cold and rainy Stellenbosch while people are enjoying Kruger makes me a little :mrgreen: but enjoy it.

Post subject: Re: Check In/ Out Time Rest Camps
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:03 pm 

New to Kruger NP, we were quite astonished to find that people simply ignore the 10 o'clock deadline for leaving. In some instances we have witnessed campers only leaving after they had a lunch braai, then leisurely break up camp and leave by 3pm. We know that they didn't pay for the day, as some may argue. Now some will say yes, but there's no one checking up on them....why? If you know the rules and are educated people, why should you have to have someone checking up on you?

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:21 pm 

You're absolutely right. We have seen them 'checking in' or must I say take a good place on the campsite??? around 8 o'clock.....
And put up there tent,caravan or whatever and checking in in the afternoon......
That is the big difference between camping and the bungalows. It seems that the checking in and out times are not for campers..... :hmz:

Ruud

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:00 pm 

Well, we are now on day 40 camping in our little bed on four wheels with a canopy, in Kruger.....from north to south, exiting at Crocodile Bridge in 10 days' time. We enjoyed it tremendously and are still having a wonderful time here.

There are a few things that we learned, which could help first-time Kruger campers. We regularly camp in other National Parks, but there were a few "firsts" here, that we have not experienced elsewhere, and had to become a bit more "streetwise"!

We quickly learned that one must be careful how/where you stand on your un-demarcated plot, especially if you have a smaller caravan. Not all people have the consideration or bush etiquette that we were taught. We were sometimes literally surrounded by camper vehicles, which usually come in when it's dark at night. Sometimes a new caravan would really stand right on top of you, without so much as a glance. We found that quite puzzling.

We are already looking forward to our next visit. We got to know the roads well and the seven different camps that we stayed in. We also visited other camps to make it easier to choose when we come again for a shorter period.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:15 pm 

Sajvv, excellent advice; we have also experienced that from time to time. Once, some years back now, at Letaba, someone pitched their tent and the guy ropes crossed over ours, that is how close they got to us!

Now we consider parking our van in such a way that we can park our vehicle next to us on the one side and have a clear 'demarcater' on the other side, such as a bush - if that is possible. Or when you got out, move furniture such as chairs to an area you will use when you return, so it is obvious that is your camping space.

This happens especially when one gets a spot on the fence I think.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:22 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

In my early days of using my caravan I had folk set up a tent right next to me so that I could not get the caravan out. I simply undid the guy ropes that were in the way, and moved the caravan. Left the tents somewhat collapsed in the hopes that the folk would realise that they must leave space in future! (I had gone out for an early drive before moving, and they had set up while I was out and were no longer around, otherwise I would have asked them to move.)

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:25 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

rkg114 wrote:
A few people have told us that as long as you rent a car and have a tent you are able to pull into camp sites with out prior bookings and pitch a tent and stay the night.

Is this true?

Definitely not! You must have a booking, and check in via reception at the relevant camp before you set up your tent anywhere. There are fines for staying without permission, and you can even be made to leave the park.

You need an exit permit to leave the park which is only supplied at the last camp you stay in, and the computer is checked to see that you have checked in and paid all relevant fees for your stay before this is issued.

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:59 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
A warm welcome to you rkg114 :D

Oh dear, you have been given the wrong information. :(

There is also a safety issue around bookings. If there are non arrivals, it makes it possible to follow up on where the person might be. It has happened that people have been stuck on roads and isolated places. Not a good idea to have to find your own way out.

Also, with increased rhino poaching, everyone who does not have valid accommodation is now a suspect. Not a good situation.

It should be easy to get camping bookings early September. It is outside school holidays and a lovely time to be in the Park.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:48 am 

I am going to ask a really dumb question.....I understand the need to have check in and check out time for fixed accomadation due to the need to clean and prepare for the next geusts to arrive......what is the reason for the check in and out times for caravan and camping sites as cleaning of the ablutions ect is ongoing during the day?
I agree with what Ruud says. Some people will arrive early and pitch camp and only check in later after 2pm and it makes finding a "good spot" difficult. (maybe i just answered my question :hmz: )
It is for this reason we love Tsendze as you are allocated a site and know that no-one else can pitch camp "in your face" as at the other camps. I know it would take alot of work but it would be really nice if all camps had demarcated camping site like Tsendze and Lower Sabie. It just makes it so much easier to know you have a comfortable spot waiting for you and you wont have someone tying his/her guy ropes to your cars bumper.
Reg

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:06 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

reg knott wrote:
It just makes it so much easier to know you have a comfortable spot waiting for you and you wont have someone tying his/her guy ropes to your cars bumper.
Reg

Of course , that makes it easier for you to drive off with his tent too :whistle:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:18 pm 
Guru
Guru

Thank you very much Forum Members for raising such an important issue. It is important that people comply with the check-in time (14:00) and check-out time (10:00) as it is expected from them. The check-in and check-out times are applicable to everyone overnighting in the park.

I will forward the comments made herewith to camp managers so that they can start monitoring the situation at camping sites to ensure that occupants adhere to rules and regulations of the park.

Stephens Ledwaba
Communications and Marketing Department
Kruger National Park
+27 (0)13 735 4116
stephens.ledwaba@sanparks.org

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:24 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
I am not a camper/caravanner, but I would think that the reasons they need to stick to the check in/out times are:
1.Because the SANParks rules state that you must.
2.If no one checked out by 10am, and all the people arriving came too early there would be chaos!!!! :big_eyes:

:) :) :)

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:17 am 

As campers have always found the check in and check out rules very flexible in Kruger. We love camping at tsendze because camp sites are demarcated and there is no need to rush to camp to find a good spot .

Balule 22-24 October2013
Tsendze 24-26 October2013
Punda Maria 26-28 October 2013

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:59 pm 

Hi Stevens and thanks for your reply but I must raise a question here. I understand that check out times for campers must be strictly adhered to (why should anyone hog a prime site on the day they are leaving until post midday) but I must question the check in times. If I arrive at 11am with my caravan at say Berg n Dal and there are a number of empty campsites available are you telling me that I must hang around until 2pm to move onto the site? Why? Its not as if it is a Bungalow to clean, beds to make or dishes to wash. I know rules are rules but.......! Please relook at the whole check in time thing for Campers. All we are doing is occupying a patch of sand with a tree (if we lucky!) and not really affecting anyone in their daily chores.
Thanks

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 393 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next