Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 431 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: Camping in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:32 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
In the past I have organised goups of up to 40 people to go to Kruger, Kgalagadi and Addo on one reservation.

I gave each vehicle a 'booklet' that I created (with animal & bird lists, do's and don'ts etc) with the reservation number on it. Each was given a permit at the gate on the strength of that.

I am sure that multiple vehicles per reservation is not that rare.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:41 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Under accomodation descriptions they mention an extra charge for extra vehicles, hence my question posted.

I queried reservations and they replied saying its R20 extra p/n per extra vehicle, yet many replies above show gates and camps not charging.

So which is it :hmz:

Post subject: Sleep in a tent in August in Kruger Park
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:38 pm 

Hello everybody,
I would to know if it is not to cold in August in the Kruger Park to sleep in a tent ?
Is it possible to rent or buy one in the park or near to the park ? And how much it would cost ?
Thank you for you help.
Benjamin

Post subject: Re: Sleep in a tent in August in Kruger Park
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:57 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

It will be cold, but not impossible. August is the end of the winter and will on average already be warmer than July.

I have done it in May and July which are the coldest months.

I am not aware of any shop selling tents in KNP. You can buy in towns such as Nelspruit / Mbombela and Phalaborwa. Game stores or outdoor shops is an option.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:02 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I would say as long as you have extra blankets just for in case and a lekker tracksuit with socks to sleep in youll be fine :D

as for the tents you can only buy it outside the park,game, trappers trading or a camping store

Home is where the Heart is and my Heart lies in the Kruger ...FACT!

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:30 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I have camped in June and July which are colder, all you need is a good blanket/sleeping bag and a tracksuit, it was very pleasant and enjoyable :mrgreen:

Last year I did camp in August which happened to be just after the snow over much of the country, it was 0 degrees over night but to me that just added to the fun of it :thumbs_up: It just means more coffee and amarula

Enjoy 8)

Bro & Sis Road Trip V2 in September

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:14 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Dupacc wrote:
Hi Benjamin 1349

benjamin1349 wrote:
I would to know if it is not to cold in August in the Kruger Park to sleep in a tent ?

We've often camped in tents in Kruger during the Winter months and found the best way to keep warm at night is to isolate us from the cold coming from beneath us. We put newspapers or another blanket on the ground and /or under us.

I wish you a fantastic time in the park and hope that you will find the tents that will meet your needs. :) :)

The newspaper advice is spot on. Just one of the zillion uses for old newspapers. ( It is good for starting a fire, cleaning the windows, packing breakable stuff, use as a sun shield on the windows, wipe your hands and emergency toilet paper. Oh, you can read it as well.)

Post subject: Camping without a power point
Unread postPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:44 pm 

Dear all,

Due to the fact we weren't able to secure a CK6P site at all camps we are visiting in June/July, I was wondering about solutions when camping without power.

We are driving a Maui Spirit 4 camper. We'll stop at a supermarket on the way to Kruger and get loads of candles for lighting, and given that the battery is charged while driving, and that we need no aircon in winter due to cooler nights, we will manage just fine in that department.

I was just thinking about food, vegetables, milk and meat in particular. If we stock up at the supermarket beforehand, it would be great to still be able to keep things cool or even frozen when we are camping without power and the fridge is not working. Are there any communal fridges in the camps? Can you ask for ice, or use these special containers with fluid in them and have them frozen? Any other creative ideas? ;-)

Meanwhile I'll watch the reservation system daily to see if we can still switch from CK6 to CK6P in the camps we visit.

Thanx!
Sander

Post subject: Re: Camping without a power point
Unread postPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:44 pm 

We often camp without power and it is not a problem at all, although it needs a little planning. All camps have communal kitchens with boiling water and 2-plate electrical stoves, so cooking is never a problem - you need to provide our own utensils, pots, pans etc. It is good to invest in a thermosflask and cups to make tea along the road. It is also wise to invest in a gasbottel, cooking pot, frying pan and kettle. A picnic basket stocked with tea, sugar, condensed milk, salt, pepper, other seasoning, etc also helps a lot. In our basket we also keep mugs, plates, basic cooking and eating utensils. It is really nice to stop at a picnic spot and prepare a late breakfast.
We have stormlamps for light around the camp at night. In addition we also have a small power saving light that clips directly to the vehicle battery. Candles do not work well as the night breeze tend to blow them out. Candles are also more of a fire hazard than 12V battery powered lights.
The camper van has its own light indoors as well as an external light.
All major camps have a well stocked shop with a grocery section with fresh veggies, meat, etc. We usually buy condensed milk or long life milk.
Do not worry, the park shops are well stocked and with minimal planning you will find camping without electricity very enjoyable.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:11 pm 

Thanx - our camper is hired though, we are coming from The Netherlands, so investing in our own utensils would be a once off, plus we only have a few hours left after our drive to Kruger to stock up.

Nevertheless, we know the camper is equipped quite well, I'm guessing the cooking will be done on gas anyway and we it wouldn't be an SA holiday without using the braai. I was just guessing that meat/veggie prices are higher in the camps compared to the supermarkets outside the park, plus it might be handy to have supplies for a few days when stay in bushcamps.

Of course, these issues are luxury "problems" but being to Kruger before, and having seen that boiling water and cooking facilities are provided, I was wondering if that also went for fridges.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:20 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Non Predator (2013)
Hi Sander!

Some of the smaller camps have freezers but this is not guaranteed like the hot plates and boiling water at all the sites Nevertheless, all the shops in the park sell bags of ice and there are also ice machines around now (though they are not always working) which are actually better value for money then the ice you buy in the shops. I don't think you have to worry about your food going off. How long will you be in Kruger and where will you be staying? You could always buy enough food just before coming in to the park to last you till you are without power (and perhaps use meat that you'd frozen when you are camping without power so it should still be fresh). You can buy meat, veg, etc, in the Parks shops but, as you said, it is a little more expensive than outside. Depending on where you are staying after camping without power, you could always pop out of the park and stock up again???

Enjoy!

Unread postPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:27 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Well, campers are a special breed. If you're really stuck, just ask your neighbours (with access to power points)- I'm sure they'll find space in their fridges for some of your stuff ! Even in camps with no power, like Marula, your neighbours might just be well equipped locals with battery/solar operated Engel fridges - don't be afraid to ask !

Unread postPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:28 am 

When you arrive at the camp, ask the reception for a powered site. 9/10 times they'll have space available, as changes in reservations are made up to the same day, and often there are no-shows...

If however there is none available, I'm sure your freezer will keep all the necessary goods frozen over night. Then, when you leave the next morning it will power up again when the engine starts. Other than that, I'm sure you'll be fine with a torch and a headlamp. Maybe have an early night.. :)

*G

Post subject: Caravan camping sites in Lower Sabie
Unread postPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:00 am 

Does anybody have photographs of the caravan stands at Lower Sabie. I believe that the stands are not very big and one finds it difficult with a big caravan and tent. Is this true? Is the stands on a first come first serve bases or do you get a prelocated stand?

Post subject: Re: Caravan camping sites in Lower Sabie
Unread postPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:18 am 

roaneric wrote:
Lower Sabie, Camping

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 431 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 29  Next