Skip to Content

General advice needed

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
gazbat

Re: General advice needed

Unread postby gazbat » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:27 am

I have a reservation for a family cottage for 4 adults and 1 child. The five of us plan to travel into the Park in 2 separate cars, arriving at different times of the day, and different entrance gates. Will this be okay? Or does everyone who is booked under a particular reservation number need to enter the Park at the same time and entrance gate? Do we need special permission to arrive separately? Thanks for your help.

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:38 am

Gazbat, it should not be a problem. Just have the reservation number ready. I have done this myself on a few occasions. Sometimes there is an extra charge on the extra vehicle.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

ecojunkie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Newbie Questions

Unread postby ecojunkie » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:00 am

rabeeta wrote:Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere, but I didn't see it in the first few pages and didn't see it in the search results either.

1. What is the difference between an external sunset drive and just the sunset drive? The Crocodile Bridge Rest Camp lists both as activities, and I am unsure of the difference.
An external drive is more expensive as the conservation fee is added in, for example. Otherwise the same activity.....guests from the camp and from outside are often on the same vehicle.

2. I was unable to get a booking into any of the Bushveld camps. Are the main rest camps more crowded? I'm not as worried about the accommodation as I am about the activities (game drives and bush walks).
The main camps are bigger so more crowded. All will offer activities

3. Some of the camps only list two activities (For example Talamati). Does that mean that other activities aren't available or that they are available upon arrival?
Some of the smaller camps do not offer sunset and night drives, for example....there are insufficient guides and.or vehicles to offer activities with time overlaps.

4. Are there power outlets in any of the camps? I will need to charge my camera.
While most camps have power outlets, these are of course South African with big 3-pin sockets. There are some smaller camps though which do not have power.

I would appreciate any help in answering these questions! Thank you!
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 6 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Newbie Questions

Unread postby Hugh » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:17 pm

Balule camp does not have electricity at all But the showers are nice and hot and there is a communal fridge/freezer for your use. Tsendze camp is for camping only and again no lectrics. ( but both are very special camps and must be visited once in your lifetime)
As the above have all said keep your eye out for cancellations
God couldn't be everywhere so he made Grandmas

Mars

taking a firearm to kruger - advise

Unread postby Mars » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:38 pm

Can someone please assist me with the procedures if you have a legal firearm with you when you enter kruger a) as day visitor or b) overnight visitor. I heard you must seal it - seal it with?

Do you leave it and declare it at the gate and get it when leaving again?

Elsa

Re: taking a firearm to kruger - advise

Unread postby Elsa » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:51 pm

Mars, when you declare it at the gate you will be required to take it into the reception office, where if I remember correctly they put it into a sturdy cloth bag which is fastened with a seal that will show if its tampered with.
On leaving the park take the unopened bag back into reception where it will be opened in front of the officials and handed back to you.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Please add your vote in the Website Community Choice Award

squirrel_asc

Re: taking a firearm to kruger - advise

Unread postby squirrel_asc » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:20 am

You have to declare your firearm when checking in at the gate. They then usually ask you to take it to the security office where they seal it in a cloth bag, as Elsa said. The fact that you have a firearm in your possession will be printed on the exit permit, so when you exit, you have to produce it again, and let then unseal it. Simple as that.

Some of the newer (upgraded) bungalows even have safes where you can leave it when you go out, if you want to.

Dassie

Unread postby Dassie » Sun May 17, 2015 9:27 am

Is it still not advisable to use Numbi gate as an entrance to park or may we enter there ?
Dassie

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Sun May 17, 2015 6:59 pm

Dassie, altho the problems on this road seem to be somewhat irregular, you will see Here there is a general advisory that has been in place for some time not to use this route.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Please add your vote in the Website Community Choice Award

George_Brits
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby George_Brits » Sun May 17, 2015 8:34 pm

Dassie wrote:Is it still not advisable to use Numbi gate as an entrance to park or may we enter there ?

Still the safest option would be to enter at Phabeni-gate. From Witrivier, travel on the R40, straight at the traffic circle, and not right on the R358. The road's in excellent condition and you will be in the "best place on earth" in no time.

Return to “Kruger National Park”