Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Safari Vehicle Operators
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:10 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

I actually find that obviously pointing a camera in their direction so that they notice it is often sufficient!!!! And that is even when I am not in uniform with decals on the car.

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:13 am 

My question to SanParks is this.

How often and how many complaints do you have to get before you take some SERIOUS and PERMANENT ACTION to curb this behaviour????????. It does seem evident from the amount of complaints that these are on the increase and little seems to be done about it.

Mike Goss
International Visitor ( 9 years and counting )

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:14 am 

Think they should bring in the more control over these guys, have had where they push in at the gate when I was first, they don't wear the guide badges(I am a guide as well but stay in the park for 7 days at a time).

All the vehicles should have id numbers on all 4 sides of the vehicles. Nice and big then we could easily report them. They give guides a bad name.

Satara 25 & 26 April 2014
Mopani 27 & 28 April 2014
Punda Maria 29 & 30 April 2014

11-13 May 2014 Kruger lodge

Satara 15-18 June 2014
Lower Sabie 19 - 22 June 2014

Unread postPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:47 pm 

I love the holier than thou attitude on the this thread, a bunch of people who only see OSV do wrong and never see locals or self drive tourists do anything bad.

I have been to the KNP five times all with the same safari operator and have seen far more egregious behaviour from locals than I ever have from OSV.

In fact a couple of examples from my last trip a week ago include a Free Stater running over the head of giraffe kill with lions feeding because he zoomed to the front of the line and then drove in front on everybody not leaving any room for him to get out. Then this man got angry at the rest of the people who castigated him for his stupidity. Then the next day at the same kill 2 locals who parked 90 degrees on the tar almost on the kill blocking traffic and views for almost everyone else and continually popping out of their windows and kids out the sunroofs for pictures spooking the cats.

Then a little further down the road a lioness with her cubs trying to cross the road, but continually being cut off by a couple locals who kept speeding ahead to try and get better pictures. These people kept doing it even after being told by our guide that she wanted to cross the road and she and her cubs were getting stressed, which to my wife and I was pretty bloody obvious judging by the look on the cats. I finally asked the OSV to block the road as I was getting beyond upset by this treatment. He begrudgingly agreed, but was worried about the goofs on boards like this and Facebook which regularly post pictures of OSV "breaking rules".

The last thing I saw that was extremely upsetting was a self drive car load of Asians stopping to feed vervets on the side of the road. Did I see any locals stopping to tell them not to do so...nope, just our driver who reported the ignorant lout

I am sure that there have been questionable OSV behaviour at times there are bad apples in any bunch, but the things I have seen from locals and self drive tourists on a consistent basis during my times there has made my doubt going back as I think more harm and stress is being caused to these animals than need to be and will eventually lead me to a possible physical interaction with one of these drivers that feel they "own" the park and everything in it regardless of whom or what they hurt.

No doubt I will now be thrashed in this thread about my feelings and how no one on here would ever hog a sighting or do anything else dubious and pretend they have only ever been on the moral high ground for everything.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:08 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Stark wrote:
Hi industry_killer, and welcome to the forum. 8)

If you look through the various threads about rule breakers on here, you will find very little sympathy for self-drivers or staff who break the rules, stress animals, or abuse the system. :thumbs_up:

:thumbs_up: You also never see any compliments on here for locals who self drive and behave either, so the OSV driver should not feel bad, I have been going for years and never got a compliment for good behaviour and never expected one either as I take good behaviour for granted. It is the misbehaviour that is reported, whether it be local self drive, OSV, staff. Perhaps the OSV driver should be working on the ones in his industry who give his industry a bad name, instead of accusing the messenger of having an agenda??

Unread postPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:29 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
Welcome to the forum industry_killer.

Sorry to disappoint you, but I have been sworn at when pointing out to self drivers that they are not permitted to get out on bridges over the Sabie. I have also been told of great sightings by OSV guides.

But nobody has the monopoly on crass selfish and loutish behaviour, which should be reported snd perhaps confronted no matter whom it is done by.

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:50 am 

Hi Guys

Has anyone actually ever received feedback from Sanparks about action taken after an incident? And if radio use for sightings are illegal, why do they still allow the guys to use them if there are complaint after complaint???

I really think radio use should be seen as serious as drinking in the park as this is what is causing OSV to speed and crowd sightings all over the south...

Am I the only one that is gatvol of getting bullied on the road and at sightings and feel its time something be done to fix this and get answers to the problem???

Kind regards

Elster

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:55 pm 

Location: Close by the South Downs National Park, Hampshire, UK
The point that must be the crux of the argument is that OSV drivers are supposed to be PROFESSIONALS.

They should behave in a professional manner to both their on-board clients and other visitors to the park.

It should be obvious to them that causing problems with self-drivers, speeding, etc. is actually an indirect abuse of their clients.

Richard

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7