Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Menu Items
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:25 pm 

Does anyone have different recipes or a type of menu for dinners in the bush to be made on open fires? We are getting tired of : Spare ribs, potato salad & garlic bread;Lamb chops & couscous; boerewors, baked beans & pap. Just can't seem to think of anything else exiting ? ALSO we have a September trip coming up in Skukuza with two vegatarians, also no wheat !! Any ideas people ??? :huh:

Post subject: Re: Menu Items
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:10 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Fatcat, I see you are from Olivedale. Sloanes butchery, at the N1 turn off from William Nicol sells the best boerrie you can imagine. I always go shopping there for my meat before leaving for Kruger.

In terms of veggies and catering for vegetarians.. I did think of spit braai vegetarian, but maybe that is not appropriate :hmz:

I find butternut, sweet potato, braaied onions and mushrooms great. Again, close to Sloanes is a veggie shop selling great "cost price" mushrooms. I also like peppadew as a sweet extra surprise.

On my last trip with my family they got really proteined out and had a simple pasta dish with mixed squashes, tinned tomatoes, chillie, garlic and mushroom. It was delicious.

For me, magic ingredients are, garlic, peppadew, chillie, mushrooms, butter and rosemary..

Another idea, braaied potato with cream cheese or sour cream sauce. I love braaied potato with nothing more than butter myself.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:23 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi
Fresh fish (frozen with no coating also fine) - wrapped in tin foil with a bit of butter, sliced tomatoes and onions seasoning to taste
Asparagus (fresh not tinned) - wrapped in tin foil with either grated cheese and butter or lemon juice and butter (mushrooms can be done in the same way)
Vegetable stew - carrots, potatoes, onions, pumpkin (any what I call long life vegies can be used) can be cooked with a bit of water in the tin foil or butter (if you like curry - add curry powder to taste)
Gem Squash - cut in half, fill with sweat corn top with grated cheese cook on medium coals until gem soft

I second MM - Garlic, lemon juice are magic ingredients for cooking on an open fire.

Hope this helps.

(if I can think of any more will get back to this post)

SAY NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENT IN KRUGER !

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:02 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
One of my daughters is vegetarian, so I try to make as much protein content in salads as possible. A quick, tasty salad:
1 tin peas
1 tin corn kernel
cubed cheese, any variety, but I like to use a really mature cheddar.
chopped spring onion
perinase sauce.. I love the bite.

Woolies also sell lovely veggie patties that could be braaied. The basic ingredient is lentil and butternut. They can be a bit dry just gilled, so I would suggest a dab of butter. Corn on the cob is also a good extra to add to a braai for veggie mites. It gives a bit of tasty carbohydrate.

Veggie skewers consisting of peppers, different colours, mushrooms, marrow, onion (I like the red variety), and aubergine would also go down well. Sprinkle with olive oil.

If they eat fish, a yummy meal is peppers sliced in quarters. In each quarter place a clove of garlic, an olive (pip removed) and an anchovy, sprinkle with olive oil, wrap in tin foil and braai. It is sooooo tasty. The anchovy can be left out, but for me that is the jummy bit.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:57 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Toasted sandwiches -
tomatoe, chutney, thinly sliced onions, butter the outside of the bread then either wrap in tin foil or place in a hinged grid and grill till brown. In fact any of your favourite fillings can be used.

Sprinke pineapple rings with brown sugar and grill slowly

Banana split -remove small strip of peel. (I normally thinly slice the curved side to bake a flat base) split banana (not all the way through) place marshmellows into the split - sprinkle with chocolate and grill till marshmellows and chocolate have melted

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:54 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Meandering Mouse wrote:
Another idea, braaied potato with cream cheese or sour cream sauce. I love braaied potato with nothing more than butter myself.

Take a slice out of your potato, and with a fork or knife make some holes almost through to the skin of the potato.
Insert some garlic paste (or freshly pressed garlic), and rub it a bit so it enters the holes you made.
Sprinkle some salt & pepper (or my fav, seasoned salt from Ina Paarman) into the potato and replace the slice you took out.
Wrap in tinfoil, and place next to your coals. Takes, depending on the size of the potatoes, about 45 minutes.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject: Re: usefull alternative
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:17 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Alternatives are for instance pastas and such. That works like a charm, especially with the more or less complete packages you can buy now.

A good soup with bread (and a side salad?) is great on hot days.

Rice is versatile, you can make so much with it that there should always be something you like. And you always have rice with you, just raid the photography beanbag. (Another reason to buy Tastic for your beanbag. ;) )

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:36 pm 

RobertT wrote:
When in Letaba you could pop out of Phalaborwa gate and replenish your wet rations at Spar. :hmz:

that was one of our ideas, especially considering that we are there for two days in a row!!
Thanks RobertT

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:09 pm 

Tracy, there are also some great ideas Here a lot of reading and lots with meat but I am sure you might find some good meatless ideas in among there as well! :wink:

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:57 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Tracy - the link Elsa gave you has some great ideas for alternative meals.

Regarding the non-freezer situation - we have used two different methods for keeping meat edible (These methods were used in Botswana and Namibia in the height of summer for seven nights camping and canoeing of the orange river)
Dry ice and wrapping of vacuum packed meat in layers of newspaper in the cooler box
the second method we used (depending how big the cooler box is) - freezing one or more five litre bottles of water (make sure that are frozen solid) and using them instead of ice-packs and vacuum packed meat wrapped in newspaper. The added advantage is we always had some ice water to drink as well.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:12 pm 

Great tips Moggiedog. :thumbs_up:

Also make sure that all the refreshments that can be frozen are frozen before you put them in the cooler box.
For insulation you can use that bubble plastic that the use for wrapping breakable objects. Works wonders.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:19 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I do find that after a few days I am "proteined out". Pasta is a great meal at times like this. I take a couple of tins of tomatoes, the kind with garlic, chillie or herbs added and add mushrooms or something interesting. I also take bits of bacon to add to the tomato mixture.. easy and rather tasty.

Another fall back for me is tinned peas, tinned corn, cheese, onion and perinase. I am a perinase addict and it makes a wonderful meal out of almost anything.

Tinned muscles and oysters with provita and tobasco makes a great snack. I did once take tinned fish meals of the "John West" variety and it was rather yummy after a day in the car. I do find that after a day of driving that I need something easy and light.

Woolies "great to haves" are their cheese packs.. full of great variety, hot cross buns (they last a loooong time), their wicked kettle made chips... wicked, wicked, wicked.. I need to go to the kitchen right now, my stomach is talking.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:24 am 

Tinned peas and backed beans.
Open the lid, but leave it attached to the can. That can be used as a handle.
Put the tins on the braai and warm it up.
Mix it together on your plate and you will have all the proteines you will need and a great side dish with the meat. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:18 pm 

There are lot of things you could do. E.g Chilli con Carne quite easy. except Mine meat you don´t need to cool down fresh Products. You could do Butternuts, chop it in two pieces, stuff it with chees and stick it together with honey and just put in the fire.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:44 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:oops: I have found it Image :lol:

very bad for the waistline :naughty:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next