Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: What is on your Kruger menu?
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:44 pm 

That boere omelet sounds so clever - will definitely try it!
We have a special spade that we take with us camping. One of the deep kind. Never to be used in the garden. :naughty: We do something similar to the pasta salad - but its hot. I cook my pasta with chicken stock. Saute absolutely whatever in the spade - always garlic included, but anything that you feel like. Then add the pasta and grate over lots of cheese. Its a nice change from braai and lekker cold the next day.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:31 am 

Stir Fry on the skottle

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:38 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I'm sure our menu is much the same as lots of other people's, but here goes.

We get up about 45mins before the gates open, have some rooibos tea, have a shower and pack our "rations" for the day.

At first suitable place (favourite is Lake Panic bird hide) we have coffee and rusks. Whilst driving after that, I usually nibble on a naartjie (tangerine).

Around 11.30/midday we stop at one of the picnic spots (favourites are Mlondozi Dam and N'wanetsi). We hire a skottle and my husband then cooks a wonderful brunch: sausages, bacon, mushrooms, onion, sliced potato (pre-cooked in skin), baked beans and toast (done on the edge of the skottle). We usually have some "bubbly" to wash the meal down. I must say, after about 6 hours of driving, the meal goes down really well. It is also such a treat to have it in such wonderful surroundings.

When we get back to wherever we are staying we might nibble on some cheese and biscuits.

In the evening we used to have a braai, when our daughters were with us, but now we often just have a light snack. A favourite is a cheese fondue (you can buy the fondue mix at most supermarkets).

All this talk of Kruger catering is making me look forward even more to our next trip.

KTP May 2015

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:26 pm 

Hippotragus wrote:
saraf - having a braai is not so difficult. You really must try it next time.

In SA it is seen as something the macho men do (and the women keep out of the way). Well, my daughter and I (de-tribalised Pom, as my husband calls me) managed a few successful braais on our last trip to KNP without any help!! I think overseas visitors think there is some secret to a braai - I think if you follow the hints in some of the other Forum topics, you can't go wrong. There is nothing nicer than a braai in the bush.

So anyone got any veggie recipes for the braai?

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:32 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Saraf :D have a look here :thumbs_up: some veggie ones I think

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:42 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

here's one for onions...same thread
Snap Dotty :lol:

Post subject: Re: Equipment needed to braii
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:25 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Easy one - take some potatoes, wrap it in two layers of tin foil and throw it in to the coals. Do not go for a huge potato, rather small or medium. Potato is left in its skin, just washed. Do this early on, as it takes some time to cook. Test it with a fork when you wonder whether it is ready. Simply push the fork through the foil. If the potato is soft, it is ready. If it feels hard or grainy when testing, put it back in the fire. The potato can be taken out and put to the side, where it will be kept warm.

It can be enjoyed simply with some margarine, or even a sauce.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Post subject: Re: Equipment needed to braai
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:15 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Same as potatoes - onions, butternuts, gem squash (remember to prick with a fork first else they can explode)
Another quick braai dish - mushrooms with butter, lemon juice a bit of garlic wrapped in tin foil and cooked on the grid - ditto for fresh asparagus ( cheese also good if added to these 2 dishes)
Wrap veggies of your choice in tin foil - add a drop of water and butter - season to taste and cook until just tender on the grid

If preferred margarine can be used instead of butter. In all cases no pots/pans required.

SAY NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENT IN KRUGER !

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:15 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

We also put a variety of veggies on a kebab stick and braai it eg corn, baby marrows(courgettes) pumpkin, etc
You can also use a disposable foil roasting dish to "roast veggies" on the fire
For dessert try something decadent like banana split. Slice the banana in half length-ways, but not all the way through and place a marshmallow and a few pieces of chocolate in the banana. Wrap in tin foil and place over the fire until the chocolate and marshmallow melt :lol:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:43 pm 

If you are going to do chicken, good idea to parboil it for about 10 mins, then put on braai.
Corn on the cob is great - I also parboil them for a few minutes and then throw it on.
Best is marshmallows on a sosatie stick. Just hold over the fire, and mmm it melts in seconds.
Why don't you buy a cooler box at the supermarket before entering and buy whatever you need there. Park is very overpriced with all their groceries and meat.
Don't forget flashlight, firelighters and matches.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:30 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Binkieloo - hope I can help a bit. Been making this bread for ages and have been involved in Scouting for ever and this is the bread we always make when camping with the scouts as well as on family holidays ...
I use 500g SR flour
340ml beer OR 500ml buttermilk - this is because the scouts aren't allowed to have beer :twisted: and it works well too
1 packet white onion soup powder
good pinch salt
then I add about a cup of grated cheese
good sprinkling of Ina Paarmans Garlic and Herb seasoning
and sometimes a very finely chopped small onion or some garlic (or both)
Mix all the dry stuff together then add the beer/buttermilk - I normally find the mix a bit too dry so I add some milk if using buttermilk or else I rinse out the beerbottle with about 1/4 cup of water ( or some more beer if there's one open and you can wrestle it out of the SO's fist :lol: ) Mixture should be quite soft and not too stiff. We use a flat bottomed Dutch oven black pot but have found the bread works best if you put it in a well greased round caketin first - about 8" or 20cm one - ours is old and got a few dings and rather bent out of shape a bit but we take it everywhere with us - top with some more grated cheese and leave to rise for about 20 to 30 min. I use a small round cake rack (from Clicks) in the bottom of the Dutchie or you can use a few small stones or even beerbottle caps just to raise the caketin off the bottom of the pot - causes less cremating of the bottom if you aren't used to the temp of the fire. Then onto a bed of coals with about 7 or 8 coals on top and it takes a good 50 to 60 min to bake depending on how hot your fire is. Take the lid off after half an hour and have a check to see its not too hot and then bung a sharp knife in after 50 min to check if its still gooey inside or not. Take tin out and leave to cool for about 10 min or so before you try and remove it and then leave it for another 15 to 20 min to cool down ( if you can resist it) before you cut it otherwise it just bungs up the knife and makes a huge mess and doesn't cut properly...

Hope this helps - you can also do it in the oven at home at 180 C. Just keep practising - it takes a few attempts to perfect it but when you do there's nothing like it :thumbs_up:

Cheers Gill

Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts and we are never the same ...

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:25 am 

That sounde delicious Scouter - I think I am going to try it at the next braai - too long until the next Kruger trip...

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:51 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:D Hope it works well for you Tracylee...I make this so often in the oven as well to go with a nice bowl of soup in the winter - nothing beats a hot savoury loaf of bread fresh from the oven! I sometimes put it in a loaf tin if I do it in the oven so you get a "normal" shaped loaf but the round tin fits better into the Dutchie.

Enjoy!

Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts and we are never the same ...

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:38 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Anything that is easy to make and not having to do a lot of dishes afterwards (while on holiday). So hotdogs, frozen foods like pies and pancakes, tinned food, 2 min noodles etc are on my menu. Flavoured banana milk is used to keep my throat wet and then ice cream. I must have ice cream, otherwise I am not on holiday :lol:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:30 pm 

For those days when we don't feel like braaiing, I always take a stand-up pouch of Denny Korma sauce. Chop and fry an onion, add sliced chicken breast, pour the sauce over and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Simply add basmati rice. It's a really easy way to have a scrummy 'gourmet' meal redolent with coriander, ginger, garlic and coconut. Yum! (There are lots of other Denny sauces to try, but this one is by far our favourite.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next