Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Solemn oath taking problem
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:14 pm 

My booking is ready and paid for this June/July. I am champing at the bit to go. I am making lists - the same lists I have made for 20 years so why I bother, but I like making lists.

Last night I took a solemn oath and did most solemnly swear to my SO that I, on this visit to KNP, Iwill not say a word about bad behaviour, tell people to get back in their cars, stop people who have thrown down litter in camps and take them to the nearest bin and I will not be a grumpy old man about such things (and I do not regard myself as old). There, I have taken the oath. (The oath does not include people making a noise in camp late at night, especially those decibels fuelled by alcohol. These people I politely ask (once) to keep it down. Politely does not come into it if I have to ask a second time.)

Now the problem. In the last 5 years I have visited the park 4 times (and it is a long drive from Paarl). Before each visit I have solemnly sworn the same oath before my wife. I am getting better in that I lasted four days on the last trip before I told a silly sausage that shooting birds with a catapult in the park is not on. I was nice to him - it was not his fault - his parents were the ones whop should have been given an earful. This poor kid just didn't know better because his parents either didn't know better/couldn't care/ wanted him out the way/think it is acceptable/add your choice here.

Can you forumites please help me (I'll fly my yellow ribbon) - how do I keep the oath this time because each time I do something about lawbreaking I am in a foul temper for hours. I must chill man, chill like in the 60s but without the MJ. I am determined to keep the oath this time. Advice, please, advice.

BTW: I love walking around the camp in the evening watching the children let off steam. That is not noise, that is youngsters doing what they should be doing - playing. I always have my camera with me as camp animals and birds seem immune to noise from children. I put this in so that all may see that I am not a grouch.

Post subject: Re: Solemn oath taking problem
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:20 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
PNM ... try smiling with a broad smile when you are telling the folk to behave.. it un nerves them ..Or try whispering another thing that peeps find strange but it works and good lucj and tell SO if whe cant get him to behave Join him !!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:41 pm 

PNM, maybe we should start a support group....oath-takers anonymous... :D

I can offer some advice regarding the alcohol-fuelled noise-levels. I have learned to sit and listen to the conversations that spring up (and as they get progressively louder this is not difficult); this inevitably leads to some priceless pearls of wisdom being uttered. To me this has, over the past few years, been a source of entertainment. And don't worry; there will eventually be some other guy that will loose his cool and tell them to shut up.... :twisted:

I have learned to not get stressed about people leaning out of their cars, pushing in front of you at a sighting etc etc. It's simply not worth it. As you say, it's a long way to travel from Paarl (and I have the Stellenbosch-Paarl bit to do as well), so let's enjoy what we can and ignore the idiots. And, anyway, I believe the wheel turns..... :evil:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:04 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

pnm,

I say that if it makes you feel better, let them have it.

We had the following incident in December.
Driving along the H4-1 towards Skukuza and a fairly big herd of elephants started to cross the road to get to the river.
We gave the elephants enough space and they came across slowly in ones and twos.

A car coming from the other side pulls up right next to the elephants and starts filming with his phone out of the window. I was muttering under my breath with the SO telling me to calm down.
And of course the elephants couldn't cross. After about 10 mins, this idiot was still blocking the road and the part of the herd cut off, turned around and went back in the bush. At which point I pull up next to this idiot, wind down my window and let him have it. Used the "f" word numerous times. I went absolutely "bossies" at him
After berating him for a while, I wound my window up and drove off. He had just sat there speechless while I ranted.

My SO then proceeded to yell at me for using that language in front of my kids!
In retrospect, I probably did go a bit over the top. But at the time, it felt good. :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:33 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
If people are not behaving like they should be I say "let them have it". My hubby will disagree with me, his attitude is 'you are on holiday, just ignore them and relax". my question is how do you ignore them and relax when in December we saw the following: At a "cat" sighting on the Lower Sabie road in the pouring rain, some people were parked in the middle of the road, standing on the roofs of their vehicles trying to get a "glimpse" of a leopard with a kill. There was so much traffic around the cat/kill that nobody could drive past on both sides of the road. At another sighting near Skukuza, a person driving a really luxurious car started hooting at the cars in front of him because he could not see what everybody else was looking at. On the road to Pretoriuskop plenty of people speeding and littering. :shock: :shock:

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:19 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
My wife has some wise words for me. "You cannot teach the world to......."

Do I listen to her, hell no.

I will die trying.

I am pnm, yoda & td x10!

I have been informed, less than politely, that I am not a policeman/traffic cop/ranger etc by the guilty.

Some have been obedient, but usually when I have been wearing my illegal old forum t-shirt with the kudu horns on and I look 'official'.

I have threatened in future to hoot at a cat sighting if the road is blocked. (It is not in the rules).

Is there any way that a plan could be crafted for forumites to have some sort of official looking badge that might scare the miscreants into obedience rather than abuse, and that presentation of the badge plus proof at a camp could be taken as evidence to fine the guilty. The reservation system could be amended slightly so that at the camp, the official could key in the reg no and find out at which camp the offenders are staying, and there they could be accosted with evidence and fined on the spot.

I know that in Kgalagadi, KG issues fines and even ejects some from the park.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:33 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
BB a badge and a knopkierie would help

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:46 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
Carol g wrote:

:thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:55 pm 

Reading Rules for Reporting Lawbreakers in the Park might help you keep your solemn oath and your cool and also make the offenders holiday that much more expensive!! :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:47 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Bush Baptist wrote:
Carol g wrote:
:thumbs_up:

:thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

@Elsa: that is also a good idea :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:22 pm 

Hugh wrote:
PNM ... try smiling with a broad smile when you are telling the folk to behave.. it un nerves them ..Or try whispering another thing that peeps find strange but it works and good lucj and tell SO if whe cant get him to behave Join him !!

I agree with this - there is nothing that disarms people and confuses them more than the mixed messages- it works a treat in all circumstances and people accept without aggression when faced with a smile. :clap:

Also - rather than shouting, lowing the volume of your voice is a fun one, they know you are talking to them with a smile, but have to get closer to hear what you are saying and again this is non-confrontational and they are more likely to do what is requested......just don;t tell my daugher these tricks or she will get wise to me :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:48 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
I think we should all carry a wad of rules and regulations with us and when we see anyone being naughty Just hand them one and smile and say I dont think you have managed to read this yet ??

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:16 pm 

Hugh wrote:

Agree 100% with Hugh, I did this during our visit in Jan 2014 and it works, did not loose my temper once in 8 days. :clap: :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:29 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nothing like the evil look :wink:

I find a well placed camera gets people back into cars in a jiffy.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:42 am 

I was in the park in October / November and must admit I also tend to be a bit of a Policeman (which I was a long time ago) I just reminded the perpetrators of the fine and other consequences had I been a ranger.

However I must admit that a lot of the problem is lack of education mixed with a bit of stupidity.

On 2 occasions I had to advise people to get in their cars as they had got out at the beginning of bridges before the yellow lines. In both cases there was no sign at that end of the bridge and they just got out because they saw cars stopped and people walking around further on.

I don't think enough emphasis is given on ensuring that the rule booklet you receive on entering the park is actually read.

Although I realise it would be very time consuming a 15 minute orientation class could be held at each entrance to the park and at least nobody would have the excuse that they didn't know the regulations.

I will do the job at Malelane for a free rondavel for SO and myself plus food thrown in :dance:

26/10/14 Tsendze
28/10/14 Letaba
30/10/14 Satara
03/11/14 Maroela
05/11/14 Satara
07/11/14 Berg-en-Dal
10/11/14 BOO HOO TIME - Off Home