Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kids/Babies in Kruger NP info.
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:20 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
A number of things Doodles.

Your children are not too young for bribery........

We used to award a chocolate (or appropriate reward) for the first person to see a ????? This had to be shared.

With 3 children and a grandfather this became very competitive and on good days we got a bit nauseous from all the chocolate.

There are some books for kids (Andy Tinker has done them) where kids can keep score of what they see. You would have to assist here, but you coulduse that together with the reward.

Try to interest them in the smaller things like birds, reptiles, trees etc.

Otherwise plan routes with regular get out spots where you can look at smaller things as well.

Last edited by Bush Baptist on Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:00 pm 

Haha Bush Baptist, thanks a lot for the very entertaining yet workable tips! Looking forward to show my daughters all these wonderful animals in the wild.

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:28 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Hi Doodles, Skukuza is possibly the best camp for very young children. Satara also has a good playground area for children now.

I have taken children to the Park at that age. Keep trips short. Nothing worse than a two year old tantrum at a waterhole.

Cool down at the pool. It gets rid of all that excess energy. The early afternoons were usually spent in the camp, preferably close to a pool.

Plan exploring trips around the fence at night. Your four year old will enjoy that. It is even more exciting if they can hold their own torch.

Invest in a children's pair of binoculars. It is lovely to play spotting games.

Lots of small snacks and treats in the car when they get restless.

In my day, we had diskmans to keep them entertained. I am sure that there is something similar. We managed to get stories and music that kept them very happy. The two year old might surprise you.

Keep them away from the shops while they are tired and hungry. Keep food as simple as possible.

Post subject: activities with children
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:10 am 

Hello
We are a family with 2 children (4 and 7).
We are going to the kruger park in april (2 days in Olifants and 2 days in skukuza) and are looking for activities with children. We saw on the main page that game drives are not allowed with children under 6 years. Do you have any experience with children under 6 years? What kind of activities can we do? (of course our children want to see some animals)... Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: activities with children
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:58 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
A very warm welcome to you valgarr. :gflower:

I have been to the Park with young children and it is important to do a lot of preparation yourself.

Skukuza is probably the best camp for activities. There used to be film shows at night for children, but I am not sure whether this is till the case.

The swimming pools are a godsend in the day if it is very hot. Olifants does not have a pool, but you can make use of the Letaba, or Satara facilities. Cooling the children down does make it so much more pleasant. Satara also has a small children's playground where they can stretch their legs and get rid of some energy. There is the elephant museum at Letaba that is worth a visit.

I would allow my children to buy post cards of animals that they had seen and they could make it into scrap books. The shops do have some great things for children to keep them happy. Buy a pack of animal cards that you can use when you have a sighting. Finding the animal in the pack makes for a great learning experience.

Taking walks around the boundary fence at night looking for animals can be great fun. It is more difficult at Olifants, but the view there should make for good evening spotting activities. There are also bush babies at Skukuza at night and the boardwalk makes for a great night time stroll.

Make sure that your drives are never too long. Children can get very irritable sitting still for long periods. Make use of the picnic areas on your drives. There is a lot to see to interest children.

Most of the picnic sites attract a few animals that settle in. Letaba also has its bush buck that are very cute. Monkeys always give children great pleasure. Just make sure that your children are not eating anything while watching, as they can be mobbed.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Re: activities with children
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:53 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Hi Valgarr and a warm welcome to the forum! :gflower:

Please have a look at this topic. Lots of great advice in there......... Kids/Babies in Kruger NP info

I do hope that you will enjoy the trip!! :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Camping with kids.. Which camp
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:32 pm 

Hello all,
We are considering camping at Skukuza with my 3 kids 9 and younger. Although we have camped before I'm a bit skeptical about camping in the park... Would you recommend Skukuza for kids? Any tips would be appreciated,

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Camping with kids.. Which camp
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:53 pm 

Hi and welcome to the forums, Parkaholic.

Please see the replies to Magriet's question here and also Carolv's comment re Skukuza :
Quote:
In the past we always avoided Skuks because it is so big but having stayed there on several occasions in recent years, once the camp gates have closed, it is actually really quiet. Sam loved walking along the fence to see what was about in the river bed and during the day, especially if it is very hot, a spell at Lake Panic would keep everyone entertained for as long as you want. If they need another walkabout, then the Nursery is somewhere for another break.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:01 pm 

Thank you Matthys

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:03 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
Parkaholic, any camp with a swimming pool is a good camp if you have children

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:03 pm 

:thumbs_up:
You also might find the Kids/Babies in Kruger NP info thread helpful, Parkaholic and I am sure that other forumites will reply to you too.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:38 pm 

Thank you. I've heard of baboons raiding tents,etc. has anyone experienced that at Skukuza, what precautionary measures should be taken to prevent this?

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:54 pm 

I don't think raiding baboons are camp or accommodation specific, Parkaholic.
Most forumites are not online over the weekend, so please keep checking here for experience related advice.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:27 pm 

We had a problem with vervets at Skuks. Rookie mistake, left the fridge unguarded.

As Matthys has said, both baboons and vervets (and honey badgers) can be a problem in any camp and don't restrict themselves to the camping area or permanent accommodation.

General advice is to leave nothing unattended, keep all food stuffs inside containers and locked inside your tent or other secure area.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:15 pm 

Hi guys,

I was hoping to get your thoughts and advice on this.
We are booked in kruger for 3weeks next august which is great but the biggest concern for us is taking a 7-8month old baby with us. Do you guys think this is too much of a risk in terms of malaria and other infections or would it be doable if we take enough precautions. We have been to kruger a good few times in the past but never with a baby. We could just cancel the trip if it is not adviceable.
I have booked the following camps 3Nights each at Berg n Dal, Croc Bridge and Skukuza then 6 nights each at Satara and LowerSabie.
I would love to hear your experiences of travelling in the park with young children.

cheers

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next