View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vacation to Kruger in August - two children
Unread postPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:08 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Tvivian, a very warm welcome to you :D

I have had the challenge of keeping kids happy in the Park and you will have to be a bit creative at times.

A couple of things I did was to get them to choose "their animal" and count how many they found. My one daughter chose impala and the other Cheetah.. guess who won the counting competition. :wink:

I also bought them a scrap book each and they were allowed to choose post cards of animals seen at sightings.
In my day walkmans were the rage. I bought a selection of animal bush stories that they were allowed to listen to on the longer drives. We often had children singing on the top of their voices to tunes we could not hear.

Pray for baboons and monkeys :wink: always a crowd pleaser.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:17 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi tvivian and welcome!

We started taking our children (also grown up now) to KNP when they were about 8 - 10 years old and had the pleasure of taking a grandson then 3 1/2 for a week about 4 years ago.
As you should go out early in the morning, we found that by about 10 - 12 midday, silence would descend in the back seat as they passed out - so take a pillow with you!
Colouring books; children's animal and bird ID books and (for grandson) a set of National Geographic DVD's that we played through the laptop.
Berg n Dal has a swimming pool - so take their costumes.
You could try resurrecting that old game "I spy....." it usually keeps the whole vehicle occupied for a while.
You will enjoy observing Kruger through the eyes of your children (and, boy, are those eyes sharp!)- we found it more fascinating with grandson than normal!
Binoculars and torches are a MUST and maybe, if your budget can stretch that far - a cheap camera for them to take their own pics.
Enjoy it!

Unread postPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:28 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I always take "glow sticks" you can find it at your local china mall or places like plastic warehouse. Each little one gets one around the arm every evening (they only last about a night) but helps finding little ones in the dark and also acts as a "night light" for all those "scary" things that go bump in the night.

Sasol has very nice children books on mammals, birds and reptiles. I think it's called "My first ______ book" (insert the name of the animal type).

Post subject: Re: Kids/Babies in Kruger NP info.
Unread postPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:06 pm 

Thanks very much for your suggestions everyone. I have some shopping to do !

Regards,

Terry

Post subject: Only one day - intro kids and parents HELP
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:31 am 

Guys, my boet and my SIL will be spending a day in the park tomorrow. They plan to enter at Phabeni. Both have been to the park but many moons ago. It will be a first visit for my two nephews aged 6 and 8.

How do you suggest they spend this one day, to exit at Phabeni again, ensuring they all leave totally hooked as we all are.

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Post subject: Re: Only one day - intro kids and parents HELP
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:59 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

A visit to Lake Panic is a must do. From there they can hit any direction. If it was me, I would keep to the dirt roads as far as possible. Maybe work a few dams in into the trip planning.

I would suggest not to rush it to try and see everything, but to take it slow and enjoy the surroundings. Kruger will reveal its magic when its least expected through sightings, whether its the big 5 or smaller creatures or just the peacefulness of the bush.

Wishing them an extra special day!! :)

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:14 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi DinkyBird
I know one day is very short and not everybody can run out and engage in unnecessary expenses, but on my recent trip I gave each of my young kids (9 and 11) a cheap digital camera. Perhaps your 6-year old nephew is still a bit young, but in my case this was the best thing that I could ever do for my kids. They used to love Kruger, but now that are totally hooked because they can capture and express their trip in their own way. Most of the pics were out of focus and they probably won't win any competitions soon, but a whole new world of observation and appreciation opened up for them. My kids don't mind driving, but if one hasn't seen much for half an hour or so, the kids tend to loose interest in staring at the blank bush for animals. With the cameras they not only started taking pics of rocks, trees, hills, insects on the road, anthills, each other, dad etc etc......but they actually managed to sight much more as they were actively engaged in finding things. I started a trip report on this also.........viewtopic.php?f=29&t=72303
Hope they enjoy!!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:53 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I would go S1,S65, H1-1, Transport dam, H3 to Afsaal, h2-2, s114 to Skukuza, S1 to the gate.

I m not normally one who does all day drives, so im not really sure if this is long enough or if it is in fact to long, but that is what I would try and do :mrgreen:

Lets hope we get them hooked :clap:

Bro & Sis Road Trip V2 in September

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:47 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

DB, I would break thier day with a walk through the Library at Skukuza and the displays there. I have just seen how facinating baby animals in bottles and the other exhibitions are to kids this age.

I hade to make 5 visits to the Elephant museum at Letaba in 4 days with 5 kids last week.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:32 pm 

Camera idea good.
#We used to photo copy page(s) of map so ours could mark the route on as we drove it.
#Print and cut out pictures of animals and birds you expect to see (2 of each) and blank paper, as they see something they can stick it in(glue stick) and then keep a tally beside each picture. Soon decided to invent a symbol for a herd.
#Keep a running points score for spotting something first with the addition of bonus points for difficulty, rarity, clarity etc of spot... only you know the scoring system ensuring each has a chance to "be winning"
Hope all have fun.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:46 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Can't think of a precise route, but would try to include Transport Dam, Lake Panic (if the boys can keep quiet!!) and Sunset Dam. The viewing decks at Skukuza and Lower Sabie are producing some good sightings at the moment, too.

You will just have to see how the boys cope - if they get bored too quickly, you might have to spend more time in the camps, where they can run around a bit. Try and think of spotting games and "prizes" for spotting any of the Big 5.

Hope they become addicted, like the rest of us!

Satara 30 Nov - 3 Dec 2014
Lower Sabie 4 Dec 2014

Skukuza 5-8 Mar 2015

Marakele (Motswere Guest Cottage) 29 Mar -1 Apr 2015

KTP May 2015

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:53 pm 

What we did last month on a day visit from Hazyview was:
Enter at Phabeni, S1 until right turn onto S65 (Leopard and Lion seen here), right onto H1-1 for short distance to Transport Dam, back on H1-1 to Skukuza - lunch break, Lake Panic, then travel towards Kruger Gate and then left onto S3 River Road and out and Phabeni.
Hope they have fun

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:06 pm 

Thank you SOOOOO much for your assistance everyone. I wish I could be a little grasshopper (hanging on for dear life) on the bonnet to see the boys in the park. Will keep you posted.

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:35 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Hi DB, nice age for games. If a digital camera is not possible animal and bird spotting games are fun. I know they used to have fairly inexpensive binos at Skuks.

I once got my kids to do an animal spotting game where they could match animals seen to post cards and make an album

Good luck.

Post subject: Kruger with children
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:38 am 

Hi all,

We are a family with two kids, and planning to visit the Kruger next May. I've been to the park several times before and know my way around. But things have changed...

Last time we visited, our oldest girl was just 10 months old. That all went very smoothly. But in May, our girls will be 2 years old and 4 years old. That means they will have their own idea about a nice holiday :shock:

So my question would be: how to arrange for a Kruger visit that is satisfying to all 4 of us? Any camps (preferably in the southern half) that are better suited to kids (playgrounds, swimming, activities)? How do you manage to keep them busy and interested during a game drive (other than showing them lots of animals of course)?

Thanks!
Marijn Heuts

Last edited by Doodles on Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next