Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Travelling to KNP through Swaziland
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:54 pm 

I would caution trverlers thro Swaziland to watch out for the speed humps as some are not marked. I was returning home frrom Kruger and hit one just before entering the Hlane Royal national Park and 300mtrs later my fuel pump which is in the petrol tank packed up. For 3 hours i was stranded on the side of the side of the road with no cell reception and no one stopping to help. I was very fortunate a ranger from the park stopped to say that this was a park and i should not be out of my bakkie, i told him of my problem and he called the park mechanic who helped me out and to get home.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:02 pm 

Graham_5000 wrote:
What things require serial number declaration for Swaziland apart from Laptops and Cameras? Mobile phones?
Graham, basically anything electronic and of value that you carry through.
Also the engine # of the car and I see they even asked about jewellery this time which had to be declared, not the value just the number.
What we do is type up a list on the computer at home then print it out so it saves a lot of time and you just write on the form "See attached List"
It was quite amusing when we were coming back this time and my SO took the form to the customs officer to be stamped at the Lavumiso border, to be asked, "What all these things?"
When we explained that they were items that had to be declared as per the rules there, he merely shrugged, and stamped the form looking most bemused! 8)
I just wish there was some consistency as it never seems to be the same from trip to trip, one time they will be asking about any fresh meat etc, another time they simply wave you through?

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:13 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I will be coming from Kruger so will make sure we don't have wors sandwiches from the previous night's braai! Will type a list and find engine number and add it when we rent the car. Anywhere good to stop between Mananga and Lavumisa? Will fill car up at Komatipoort or in Kruger perhaps.

I want to see the Jozini dam before doing the last leg to St L - can anyone tell me where the best viewpoint is? I am interested in water infrastructure hence the unusual request!

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:02 pm 

Fuel is actually cheaper in Swaziland, less taxes than what we are subjected to I guess.

We don't usually stop off anywhere but there is a nice looking place called Nisela, think its one of the game reserves, has a nice big deck overlooking the water. :?

Possibly if you take the Jozini turn off the N2 you will get some good views of the dam but I am not sure.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:05 pm 

Magriet wrote:
We are planning to go from Durban to Kruger via Swaziland in December.
Going there should be fine time wise as we are staying at Lower Sabie, but I now have concerns about coming back as our last night is in Satara. Any advise?

Going to be a very long drive and day Magriet! :roll:
But as long as you are through the bottom border gate before it closes which I think is around 6pm but I am not 100% sure of that as we usually travel through well inside that time.
Maybe someone will be able to confirm the gate times.
My only other suggestion is to stay another night lower down in the park either by adding a night on or moving your last night at Satara.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:26 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Gosh...Satara to Durban...............as Elsa says, that's a very long way, considering your max speed from Satara to Croc Bridge is 50kph!!!

It depends if you can spare an extra night.?

If so, maybe book a night at Croc Bridge, or maybe somewhere like Hlane Reserve in Swazi.

Managa border post closes at 18.00 and Jeppes Reef 20.00.
I believe the Golela/Lavumisa Border Post is open until 22.00 (but please double check that) so you should clear that easily enough, but still a long drive back to Durban after that, and with greatest respect to the people of Swaziland, I'm not sure how comfortable I would be driving through some parts of the country in the dark!! :shock:

All the best with whatever you decide. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:39 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I have just done part of this journey (Lower Sabie to St Lucia, via Mananga and Golela/Lavumisa) and I have to warn you about the potholes near Siteki in Swaziland. The road was so bumpy I thought we would have a puncture in our VW Polo. The bumpy section lasts for about 30kms and we drove it at 30kms an hour!! In a 4x4 or even a Bakkie you should be able to go faster.

Whatever you do, don't speed - we were stopped twice by police and had licenses checked. They were very friendly and kept stressing that we mustn't speed. There are occasions when the speed limit drops to 80km/ph or even 60 - seemingly for no reason!

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:55 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We did Satara to Durban through Swaziland with ease and were home by 5 o'clock. We left when gates opened which was early as it was February and only stopped for really special sightings of rhino, buffalo and lion - a quick toasted sarmie from the Wimpy at Komatiepoort and it was surprisingly a long but very doable drive. We were only in Satara for 3 nights so it was a lot of travelling but it can be done. We stuck to our speed limit in the Park and did not stint ourselves in the time spent on sightings and remember that most of Swaziland is now 120 kms whereas years ago the average speed limit in Swaziland on main roads was 80. We sailed through borders and had all our ducks in a row with our paperwork so provided you do the same then you should be fine. Enjoy!

8 & 9 Jan 2014 at Elephant Walk
10 to 17 January 2014 Ngwenya Lodge
The addiction is fed once again

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:16 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

We will be doing the same trip on the 15 Oct but in reverse. Durban to Satara and will let you know how much time you will need.
Leaving Durban 4am as border post opens at 7am and then should be at Satara at plus minus 4pm. Long drive but well worth it.

Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished Lao Tzu

Shingwedzi 27/12/14 to 30/12/14
Satara 31/12/14 to 04/01/15
Lower Sabie 05/01/15 to 10/01/15

Post subject: Re: Driving (best route) to/from Kruger
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:01 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Location: Living in The Netherlands but raised in South Africa
Graham_5000 wrote:
We saved hours by cutting through Swaziland. We stopped for 10 mins for paperwork at the border and it was a Saturday. Leave your camp by 6am to be sure. Going round apparently takes ages!

Our South African friends told us not to going through Swaziland because it could take ages..... :hmz:

I will have to take a closer look at the route..... :lol: may you travel through Swaziland with a rental car without extra paperwork? :roll:

2013 Trip: Satara, Lower Sabie, Hluhluwe, Berg-en-Dal, Lower Sabie, Satara, Elephant Plains(Sabi Sands) :dance:

Our 2013 Trip Report: Vinkie and Apex Predator back in the bushveld

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:12 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

You need a letter of permission from rental agency (free from Avis). If you reach the border at 10am on a Saturday then yes it will be busy but if you get there by 8am (even on a Saturday as we did) it will be fine.

Apparently going round requires one to take roads that are currently under maintenance. We raced another couple to St Lucia from Croc bridge. They went round Swaziland (as they didn't have the permission letter), we went through. We both left Kruger at 6.30am and we arrived at 2pm having had a couple of breaks. They arrived at 4pm having got caught in the congestion round Piet Retief. We saw them at the Ocean Basket that night!

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:16 pm 

vinkie wrote:
TheMiggies wrote:
I was also wondering about the best way to get from Durban area to the Malelane Gate? Via Swazi looks the most direct route but then you are risking two border gates in one day. Is this worth it? We were just going to go the longer way round via Nelspruit...

I heard that when you travel via Swaziland you could be stuck at the border for 3 hours...

We always travel that way and have never encountered more than a half hour delay at the borders but I must add have never done it in peak season or over long weekends.
Please do have a read Here before making any further decisions or send me a PM.

Post subject: Best Route
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:00 am 

Hello all, I was wondering what the best route to Croc Bridge is ? We are leaving from Durban and planning to go via Swaziland through to Croc Bridge out at Kruger gate as we are staying at Burchels for the week 22nd to 29th March donated timeshare. I have pre booked gate entry for those days, any advice to make the most of our trip very welcome. Thanks

Post subject: Re: Best Route
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:44 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Hi Blast,

Have a look here for other comments on routes from Durban.

Enjoy your visit!!!..... :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Re: Best Route
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:28 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
I am sure Elsa will tell you the best route She has worn a path from KZN to Kruger !!!! :D
Just want to warn you as you are travelling through the park as a day visitor you are not allowed to take any alcohol with you ... They will confiscate it at the gate !!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next