Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Travelling to KNP through Swaziland
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:47 pm 

Hi Guys,

I hope that someone can help with this.

I have had to travel to Manzini in Swaziland twice this month for business and there seems to be a new structure at the Golela border and things have gotten stricter. I intend to travel through Swaziland with the family in less than a month for our first KNP trip of the year, but the new paperwork has me worried.

Quotation from the new document:

Certain goods may only be imported provided you are in possession of the necessary authority/permit:
Animals, plants and their products e.g. dairy products – So does this mean no meat, vegetables,milk, eggs, etc?? (I'm not sure if tomatoes, etc are deemed products of a plant??)

Medicine – must be accompanied by a letter from a registered physician - I have 3 small kids and take just about all the medicine in our cupboard just in case, surely people understand that??

Is it still advisable to travel through Swaziland from Durban, or is it less painful to drive the extra Km around.

Any advice would be appreciated

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:09 pm 

I was wondering if the recent outbreak of Foot and Mouth that has broken out in KZN would have any bearing on animal products taken through the borders?
We didn't have any problems with medicines etc when we travelled through last month other than the usual serial numbers needed by the S.A authorities. :roll:
But I did notice a sign in the office stipulating the amounts of certain things one could take through.
Can't quite remember what they all were. :?

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:18 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi there

Latest update:

And this is my again recent experience and observations, and in reply to the last three posts above.

Swazi Police and Roadblocks are generally no problem. Make sure you have your Drivers license and your car is in Roadworthy condition. Lights, hooter, windscreen wipers. Been stopped too many times and have never been extorted or fined. Totally professional and polite.

Do not try take ANY FRESH Meat, Poultry products, or Milk, (long Life Milk included)
This has become a huge problem since he Foot and Mouth outbreak. if you can afford to take the risk of it being confiscated or not, then try risk.

Rather by your fresh supplies at Komatee Spar or Malelane Superspar. Generally both good for Meats and Dairy, or Malelane PicknPay. It worth not having the trouble at the border post.

PM me if you have any questions

Cheers

KNP: 03 Jan to 12 Jan 14 (Berg n Dal, PKop, Croc Bridge)
KNP 10 May to 17 May 2013 (Malelane, Satara, Skukuza)
KNP 16 July to 26 July 14 (Croc Bridge, Tamboti, L Sabie )

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:21 pm 

If you want to add a little more spice to life, try the following:
From Nelspruit go south on the R40 to Barberton, bypass the town (keep straight) and head up to Josefsdal border post, they are great there and give no hassles at all. Go through the Swazi border post (Bulembu) and on to Piggs Peak. Turn right onto the Mbabane road. It is a bit further but a beautiful scenic route. There is about 17 k's of dirt but it is not a bad section at all.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:46 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi TonyP,
Thank You for the input. I'm always looking for different roads to conquer. :dance: When I was first researching Africa in 2006, I read about Josefsdal border post so correct me if I'm wrong but the guide book pictured it as a difficult drive up the mountain. Never having been on this continent, I decided to play it safe and went through Ngwenya. I'm a little more adventurous now and will file away your suggestion and attempt to scale that peak in the future. This time I'll be leaving from Malelane or Crocodile Bridge so Josefsdal will be a little too far west.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:17 am 

Has anyone gone from Mkhaya Game Reserve in Swaziland to Lower Sabie in Kruger Park? It's what we are planning to do in 3 weeks! Any tips of on travel (without a personal car) are welcome along with approximate time etc. Thank you so much for all of your comments and suggestions!

Unread postPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:50 pm 

@ ace717, I'm not sure I understand your post, Mkhaya is a great nature reserve, but you cannot self drive there, it's all guided walks or in guided game drive vehicles. it is actually a sactuary for endangered species such as black Rhino, Sable & Roan.
Ok so now is where I don't quite understand...do you not have a vehicle, if not how are you getting to & from Mkhaya? If you need to use other forms of transport I would assume you could fly from Manzini (Matsapa airport) to Nelspruit and then hire a vehicle for Kruger. I'm not sure about the number of flights etc. Please give us a clearer picture of your plans and we'll try to help.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:44 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

TonyP wrote:
RayK, the road from Nelspruit is tarred all the way through the border at Josefdal, the dirt section starts in the town of Bulembu which is just on the Swazi side of the border. It is a fairly steep climb (twists & turns) up the mountain from Barberton, but an excellent road all the way, so the guide book was either out of date or got it wrong. It certainly is the most scenic route in Swaziland. Both border control posts are fantastic...friendly, efficient & not full of you know what!

Hi TonyP,
Thanks for giving more detail to the drive from Josefdal border post. I guess I read too much into the description from the guide book. So now I have three border posts to choose from instead of two. :) I just read about Hugh's foodstuffs being confiscated at the border (who needs that to deal with). I'll get back to this thread when I return from my adventure in November.

Post subject: Re: Durban to Orpen Gate.
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:27 pm 

Hi guys, newbie here rejuvenating this topic. My husband and I want to drive from Durban to Kruger, via Swaziland, in two nights and three days, staying at a place near Piet Retief the first night and Mololotja in Swaziland the second. We then have two nights to spend in the Kruger before meeting up with friends near Lydenburg.

Any advice on this route and on the best camp/ area to spend our two nights and three days actually in the park? Our budget is about R2,500 for the two nights inc. food. Any advice would be most welcome. Cheers!

Post subject: Re: Durban to Orpen Gate.
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:46 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Katiebun - the route from Durban to Crocodile Bridge gate through Swaziland is the shortest route available. You travel up through Zululand on a fairly good road and before Pongola you turn off for Swaziland. You go in at Golela (Lavumisa and travel towards Siteki, through the Kings hunting ground at Hlane and out the Mananga gate which is a scant hours drive from the Crocodile Bridge Gate via Komatiepoort. Some of the paperwork required for the borders aside from passports can be a little onerous but once you get used to it and know what to produce then it becomes fairly easy. Bye the way using this route from Durban to Crocodile bridge takes about 7 hours but does not go anywhere near Piet Retief so you might want to reconsider this.

I would suggest that you definitely consider Crocodile Bridge camp for reasonably priced accommodation in a very productive part of the Park but do not try and spend your days in Kruger travelling from one camp to another as this can become hectic. Should you require more information please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours in Parking
Penny

6.01.15 Elephant Walk Retreat
7.01.15 to 09.01.15 Satara
09.01.15 - 16.01.15 Ngwenya Lodge
The addiction is fed once again

Post subject: Border Crossing at Jeppes Reef
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:55 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Forumites,
In a few weeks I'll be crossing into Swaziland through Jeppes Reef. Time is important. Is a Saturday crossing more busy than a work day? How much time does it normally take? Any hints for a hassle-free crossing. Thank You.

Post subject: Re: Border Crossing at Jeppes Reef
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:38 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi RayK

A Saturday crossing might be more busy, but it won't make a huge difference. It depends more on the people working at the desks and whether you end up behind a bus group!
On the SA side, you will get to a gate, where the police will give you a piece of paper with your car make and registration, amount of passengers. This paper you have to give to the customs officer to be stamped, (and show it to the police at the gate going into Swaziland :shock:) . Then park your car under the big fig tree on the right. If you have big cameras, laptops or other valuables you might have to go into the SARS office first, ask them if it is necessary to declare your things, they are not eager to give you information! :twisted:
Then you go into the customs office, show your passport and gate pass, should go quickly. Get in your car, drive to the gate, leaving SA, give your gate pass. Drive through no mans land for 100m, when you see the 'boom gate', park on the right. Enter the little building (Swaziland customs). The guy on the right will stamp your passport and ask your car registration number. He will hand you a piece of paper with a stamp, regnr, and amount of passengers. No one will say anything, but you have to pay road tax at the person sitting on the left. If if it is a sedan it will be E50(equivelent to R50), if you have a van/minibus it will be E80. Then you get back in your car, stop at the boomgate, show your piece of paper and your road tax receipt. They might ask if they can see your luggage, just be friendly and patient. If you are lucky, all of this shouldn't take much longer than 30-40min. I've done it in 15min, so good luck!! Hope this helps. :thumbs_up: PS If you have a rental car, just make sure they give you a cross border permit when you rent it!

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:34 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Bosnimf,
Not only did you answer all my questions but you had answers for questions I should have asked. :D Thank You for taking the time to answer in such great detail. Now I can just follow each step and not have to wonder what to do next. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:46 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Everyone,
I was at the border crossing at 06:45 with a half dozen vehicles waiting in front of me. At 07:00 the gate opened and with Bosnimf's instructions in hand, I followed them step by step. The whole process took 23 minutes and then was happily on my way into Swaziland. Thank You once again for your help. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:49 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Everyone,
Pressed for time, I decided to go via Jeppes Reef. It took 23 minutes of paper work to cross into Swaziland. I then took the first left onto the MR6. I was prepared for a dirt road with lots of wandering cattle and pedestrians but to my surprise it turned out to be a newly paved, major roadway. It ended at MR5 which took me onto the MR3 and then to the MR8 to Lavumisu/Golela Border Post. Total travel time was about 3 hours.
(Thanks TonyP, next time with more time I'll try the Josefdal crossing.) :thumbs_up:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next