Unread postby bert » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:05 pm

And most big towns near Kruger have banks with ATM
Graskop,Hazyview, Sabie, Phalaborwa,Hoedspruit
(Used these anyways)
And in Kruger I used the ATM at Skukuza and Letaba

Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby arks » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:18 am

Apart from petrol and tips, I charged everything possible on my US credit cards, no problems at all.
There might, however, be a problem with using a foreign debit card, but no problems that I'm aware of with using a credit card.
However, it is important to distinguish between debit and credit cards, as they are NOT the same.
I have found that shops that ONLY accept debit cards in SA, also only accept RSA debit cards.
RSA 2015
1-30 June Darling
30 June-8 July National Arts Festival, Grahamstown
8-15 July Mountain Zebra
16-22 July Cape Town
16-28 November Cape Town
29 November-20 January Darling

Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Jose » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:50 pm

I agree... major creditcards (AmEx, Visa, even Diners) have never been an issue over the past decades. Maybe the confusion originates in the fact that various (EU?!) countries now also have "simple" bankcards (comparable with debet cards) which allow similar facilities.
E.g. for the last 5, or maybe even 6 yrs, I have been able to use my regular (NL!) "bankpas" to draw cash from official (= bank) ATM's.
As far as I know the only rule is that your card needs to be marked with a Maestro OR Cirrus logo.
You just cannot use your NL(/EU?) bankcard to pay in shops.
But that may be just a matter of time, I think.

Still, quite handy, given the fact that there is a max amount to be drawn from ATM's with various card types... You just use both. :D
Don't you just love them tuskers? 8)
Click-and-read (and donate!)

Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

ATM's in Kruger

Unread postby wildheart » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:38 am

I always take cash with me when we go to Kruger but this time we are going to be in Kruger for 18 days. :mrgreen: I would prefer not to have so much cash on me this time.

I know that B & D has a machine were you swipe your card and then they give you the cash out of the till, but you are only allowed to draw a certain amount.

We are going to be at LS, Tamboti, Skukuza, Olifants, Balule and then Sable Hide. Do you know if there is an atm were you can draw for instance R1000 at a time at any of the above camps?

Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby christo » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:45 am

Skukuza has a standard ATM and Letaba (where you would probably be, as you are in Olifants & sable) has a standard ATM.

I'm nt sure wich of the other camps offer the same service as Berg & Dal. I'm kind of a card type, much cheaper, more convenient and safe thatn cash. (i do have a few notes stached away for emergencies though)
To change ones life start immideately. Do it flamboyantly. No exceptions.

Unread postby mabidally » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:10 pm

Can one encash travellers cheques in Kruger Camps and if so which ones are prefered?

Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Mgoddard » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:57 am

Mabidally as far as I know you can only change at the ABSA at Skukuza. I cannot recal being able to pay for anything at any shop with either dollars or travelers cheques.

Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Pjw » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:45 pm

My brother travels to SA and Kruger regularly from Sydney.
He uses both debit & credit cards with the Cirrus logo on them all over the country, including Kruger.
He even used his Australian credit card to buy the whole family (20 of us ) ice-creams at Nkhulu picnic site so I don't think you'll have a problem.
Just petrol, as previous replies have indicated, credit cards are not accepted at local petrol stations.
You will probably need cash there.
The ATM's do tend to run out of cash, especially those at the smaller camps where you use an ATM but get the cash from the till.
You must check 1st if there is enough cash in the till for you to be able to draw.
Also remember the fees for using these ATM's are quite high so avoid them if you can.
The one at Skukuza is usually reliable except over long weekends like Easter when the Park is very busy
"In the end we conserve only that which we love, we love only that which we understand, we understand only that which we are taught"
(Baba Dioum, Senegalese Ecologist)

Unread postby nightjar » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:52 pm

Cash is required for fuel in KNP and outside, and also for road tolls on the N4 (only RSA cards accepted).
Its a good idea to have extra cash available for the shops too as sometimes the card machines/phone lines are down. Getting cash once you are in the park is not easy, except at Skukuza which has a bank. There are are ATMs at Skukuza and Letaba which accept some foreign cards, but we found the Letaba one tends to run out of money.
"The most hazardous part of our expedition to Africa was crossing Piccadilly Circus."
Joseph Thomson, Scottish explorer (1858-95).

Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby DuQues » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:43 am

Actually, I noticed that using my card is in a way cheaper than using cash. I always get a very nice rate from the bank, higher than what I'd get if I just pulled money from the ATM, or worse, brought it from Holland!
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postby skicabin » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:18 pm

We used our Canadian credit card all the time in SA including Kruger and had no problem whatsoever. In all our travels we tend to use only one of our credit cards keeping the other for back-up just in case something happens to the first one. We also haven't been charged any extra charges from the bank for the currency exchange.

Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Banks/ATMs/crdit cards/money

Unread postby ecojunkie » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:44 am

Letaba has an ATM (near the shop). The others have mini ATMs with a maximum withdrawal of R300 - you process your card, get a slip, and it is cashed at the till - so you also need to check the till has enough money.
Skukuza has a full FNB bank branch and an ATM.

Shops and restaurants do take cards.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 6 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby DotDan » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:30 am

To be on the safe side, take as much cash with you. The ATM at Letaba is not always operational. The mini ATM's at shops are also not the best.

Skukuza's is the safest bet regarding withdrawals. And like EC said all shops and restaurants take Credit Cards.

Hope you have a great time.

Unread postby saraf » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:20 pm

Another tip is to make sure you have informed you CC companies and banks that you are going abroad, especially to Africa. Also, be prepared to make a phone call to get it sorted out while you are there.

Also make sure you have more than one source of money.

Time before last SO's bank wouldn't let him withdraw money but luckily my bank would.

This time one of my credit cards was "refused authorisation" while in the shop. Luckily I had another which was accepted.

Sad state of affairs but banks are so jumpy about fraud these days.
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby DuQues » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:32 pm

And if you have a 6-digit PIN, change it (for the duration) to a 4-digit PIN!
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Return to “Kruger National Park”