SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Breakdowns, car problems, flat tyres
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:52 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

This sounds a strange one?
Firstly do you have GOOD valve caps on your tyres, not the normal plastic ones fitted by the suppliers of tyres. Secondly you could ask the tyre people to apply a film of sealant to the rim before mounting the tyre.

When having the tyre pressure checked always allow a little air to escape from the valve before making a tight seal with the air hose or pressure gauge.
This will blow away any dust waiting to get into the valve seat.

Hope this helps.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:02 am 

Thank you Klystron - I am going to this - I still have the plastic valve caps, will change them this week-end. Do I do the sealant every time before I go to the parks or when I change tyres?

"I am doomed to be a wanderer, I am not an empire builder, I am not a missionary, I am not truly a scientist, I merely want to return to the bush to continue my wanderings" (Joseph Thompson - The bush for me and Africa for him)

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:52 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hopefully only once as they will need to remove the tyres from the wheel rims and ensure they are clean. There are sealants available that can be squirted in via the valve for puncture repairs but they are only intended to "get you home" and should be removed when you have the tyre repaired.
What I am suggesting is that the tyre company should carefully check the tyre bead and wheel rim where they contact each other.
Normally the tyre is put onto the rim using a soapy solution to make it easier to fit.
This should provide a seal when it dries.

Another thing to ask them to try is to place the whole inflated tyre and rim into a bath of water to ensure there are no cracks in the metal of the rim.
The problem you are having is most unusual.
PM Elsa if you have any more questions as she is on line more often than me (as our posting count shows).

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:49 am 

After a rain storm on Friday the 14th of January 2011, we took the S3 gravel road from Kruger gate to Phabeni gate.
No other cars on the road and about 15km before the S1 crossing we got stuck in mud.
Luckily there was cellphone signal, tried to contact both gates no answer, phone someone I know in Skukuza and he got hold of the section ranger.
After 3 - 4 hours staff from Sanparks arrived and pulled us out.
They closed the road afterwards.

While waiting for the recovery team we enjoy all the little birds, animals on the move and the bush sounds.

:think: Not a good idea to travel on gravel roads after a rain storm.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:15 pm 

Best is to have your tyres treated with Puncturesafe, a pre-puncture tyre treatment, non-toxic gel which is pumped into your tyres in specific quantity per tyre size.
It immediately seals tread and shoulder area punctures up to 6mm in diameter.
This is not a "get you home" product such as foam products on the market, but rather a tyre fix.
A good idea anyway to have the tyre checked after any event.
I think this is essential for anyone traveling in wild areas and remote places where it is not safe to stop and change tyres. Come to think of it - alongside any SA highway or road is also not the best place to be with a flat tyre!

Post subject: radio help
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:17 am 

Where in the KNP is signal for cellphones out on the road.
Is it possible to get a cb radio and tune in on the KNP freq and ask for help when something happens or do you need a sarl license?

Regards

Post subject: Re: radio help
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:05 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Jesica

Firstly for cell phones you can normally get a signal up to 5 km from the larger camps and further if you stop at a high point on the road.

Second, CB radio. This seems to have died down since the first introduction many years ago. They only require a license from Telkom which is a formality to get, no tests or anything. I doubt very much that Sanparks has a CB set so it would be of almost no use.

Thirdly, a SARL license would allow you to operate on the amateur radio ham bands which are also unlikely to be monitored by Sanparks and would require tests to achieve.

Mostly people will stop to help or respond to you trying to flag them down as they pass should you not be in range of a cell signal. There are a couple of threads already with advice of how to handle breakdowns, etc.

Hope this helps.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:16 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Just ensure you always have enough food and drink in the car for 2 days and that should guarantee no breakdowns.. (Murphy)

The Kruger roads, as Klystron has said, are well used and if you are out of a 'cell' area most people are willing to help in one way or another - just like it was before cellphones.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:13 pm 

Or you could get a sat phone from SatComms in Joburg or rent one. With a GPS and sat phone you can be found by SANPARKS pretty quickly. It is an expensive option but with guaranteed results.

I am actually taking my brothers sat phone with me, and I already have Garmin in the car.

http://www.clicked-on-safari.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Post subject: Break down close to gate closing time
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:02 pm 

Hi all,

Theoretical question.

What would happen if your vehicle broken down close to gate closing time and you were out of cellphone reception area?

Do rangers patrol the roads or would you have to wait it out in your car all night?

I ask this as we had to send out rangers after coming across stranded travelers on our recent trip.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Break down close to gate closing time
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:58 am 

Elsa wrote:
Hi furbz and warm welcome to the forum!

Unless you were on one of the very quiet back roads I doubt whether you would remain stranded for too long.

Have a read through Breakdowns for more info and advice.

thank you :)

i have thanks,

ya it came to our attention when we were flagged down by a car not to far from satara rest camp, the car had lost ability to engage any drive gears. (a suspect a pin fell out of the auto lever on the rough roads)

eitherway, we got into a debate as to whether you'd be discovered by a ranger or not, lets say it did happen on one of the lesser travelled roads. you'd hope the night drive vehicle would spot you.
otherwise you'd be in for a VERY long night!
we also figured the anti poaching guys might find you if you left your lights on, but that could lead to a very awkward and tense moment when they first approached you!

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:00 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
1. ALWAYS take enough food & drink in your car for 2 days.
2. Flag down any other vehicle you see and ask them to report your plight.
3. Stay with your vehicle.
4. Pray.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:14 pm 

Over the last 26ish years of trips we've had breakdowns, even had to use Afsaal's radio "... over" tricky if you've never had to do it.
Also had many flat tyres... so now every time I get out/in I look at all 4 tyres.
Plus as we are always in a hire car we ask about spare tyre- check on booking that it has one- some new cars don't.
Satara v helpful.
In fact we have only ever been met with kindness.
We always now have the full "snack bag" and loads of water plus warm jackets in case.
We have given a couple a lift to private camp as that was nearest, when they'd been stuck for hours having stupidly driven off road.
We weren't greeted well there but we dropped them and drove off quickly.
There wasn't anything else we could do.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:33 pm 

On our last Kruger trip we had 2 flat tires. Luckily, both of them were near camps and we were able to limp in. :pray:

For our upcoming trip, I would like to have one of those aerosol puncture-fixer cans. We will be traveling from the airport to Malelane to the gate. Can someone tell me where, along that route, we might be able to get one of those cans???

Thanks.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:38 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

HI :D

well if you get to Nelspruit look for a Midas they will definitely have it and then it isn't out of your way :) hope you have great sightings :)

Home is where the Heart is and my Heart lies in the Kruger ...FACT!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next