Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: So disappointing... a breakdown in Kruger once again
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:52 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Both Skukuza and Letaba have fully fitted garages as far as I can remember.

1-6 May '13

Post subject: Re: Tourist whose car got washed into the river near Skukuza
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:45 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

A family visiting the Park were washed off the causeway on the Bume a couple of years ago and if I remember correctly the father drowned. It was a flash flood and a wall of water just appeared from nowhere on the Bume river bed.

03.10.14 - 10.10.14 Ngwenya Lodge
The addiction is fed once again

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:56 pm 
Guru
Guru

Dear All,

Thanks for this interesting thread and yes, I would also like to hear more of such anecdotes.
Penny, you're quite right about the Bume incident, the land rover (LDV) with canvass canopy was washed downstream indeed after a localized downpour.
I know of various other incidents of people washed off bridges and causeway,
a combi many year off the southernmost causeway over the Mlondozi and I also recall a case of a foreign guest near Sirheni.
No serious injury in either case.
Then during the 2000 floods a diesel tanker was washed off the causeway over Nwaswitsontso between Talamati and Orpen.
Driver managed to escape through window and slept in tree for the night.
Tanker washed down for various kilometers but fortunately stayed upright and no diesel was spilt.

Thanks to all for sharing.

Kind regards.

JOEP

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:35 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

In January 2000 a colleague and I were in Kruger , just one week before the big floods at that time . A white sedan car had washed off the H5 Bume road , just off the H4-2 . We never found out what had happened there , but the car was half covered by sand , about 60 meters from the little causeway at that point . I think I took a pic , and must be somewhere amongst stuff .

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Post subject: Please could someone answer this question for me?
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:45 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Ok so Ive got a question, If your deep in the KNP and you have No cellphone reception and a Lion makes a meal of your tyres and nobody has come that way in an hour :hmz: , What do you do? :hmz:

Would you get out of the car and try and change the flat without being eaten by would be predators or would you sit around in the baking heat of the KNP and pray that somebody drives your choice of desolate road?

Lol :lol: im wondering what people would do in this type of situation :popcorn:

Home is where the Heart is and my Heart lies in the Kruger ...FACT!

Post subject: Re: Please could someone answer this question for me?
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:01 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

lmao :lol: :lol: actually no it wasn't but the thought is tickling me coz here we all are and we all detest the ground that people walk on who lean out of their cars at sightings or get out of their cars etc etc etc :slap: , so would we as ppl who actually care about the sanctity of the park, stay and wait out the baking heat or risk getting out of our cars to change the tyre even though we ourselfs would know that were breaking the rules :rtm: of the park and lol risk getting our own photo shoot for the gallery of shame lol :wink:

Home is where the Heart is and my Heart lies in the Kruger ...FACT!

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:25 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Sheenaugh-Lee,

That's a tricky one. I will drive a little bit further away if possible and then try to change where it will be safer. The problem changing the tyre with lions close by might be that they will find the spare more interesting and then you're stuck with two flat tyres. :wall: :wall:

On another note my SO's cousin installed an alarm in his caravan. When he met us at Afsaal he quickly showed us the caravan. As they drove off the alarm went off when he was already on the tar road. I am not sure if he did n't hear the alarm, but at the next sighting every-one would have noted it. Do you get outside to switch it off or just annoy every one? :lol: :lol: Sure you will be marked as the mug of the month no matter what you do. :huh:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:54 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Have been in the situation with a flat tyre near lions. I kept watch from the back of the bakkie while my companion changed the wheel. All was safe!

On another occasion when I was alone I had to wait for someone else to come along to keep watch (actually it was an OSV, and the guest watched while the guide changed the wheel for me with a little assistance from me!).

Would not attempt to do something like that on my own without anyone around to watch the bush.

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:07 am 

Hi Sheenaugh-Lee,

It happened years ago! Two combies with women and children (menfolk playing cricket at Skukuza). Not a flat tyre but spare came down under front of combi and we couldn't go forward. We'd seen lions just around the corner, on a sand road and with plenty of us to keep an eye on the bush we had no choice but to fix it!

Would never do this alone, as well as lions you never know what might pop out of the bush! You need someone to look out all around and this was long before today's rules! Might think twice about it now as I don't fancy my mug shot in shame gallery!

Regards Janice

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:02 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
It was pointed out to me that I had a flat tyre last time we were in Kruger. The youngsters just drove off, leaving us in a cul de sac. Thanks.

After checking the area as well as I could, I got out, checked again and removed my Dad's wheelchair to get at the spare. He kept a lookout as I changed the wheel. As I finished, 4 4x4s arrived and asked if I needed help. :wall:

NO Sheenaugh-Lee I didn't feel guilty about breaking the law, as I saw little alternative. It was NOT for fun sake, but I considered it an emergency and necessary.

The key here is an emergency, not like the day before on the way to BnD, when I really felt like a poepol. :redface: Somebody had thrown a plastic bottle on the side of the tar road and I stopped, looked around, and got out to retrieve it. Suddenly I heard a vehicle coming over the rise. It was a police car. I had popped the bottle through my Dad's window into out rubbish bag and was busy rounding the car when the cops came into view. I went on the attack, muttering about having to pick up after idiots who don't care as Sgt Molefe asked if I knew it was illegal to get out. I said I did but was only trying to keep the park clean. I promised to stay in the car in future and pick up litter through a slightly ajar door and he let me off. I was lucky, but I believe justice was served as I wouldn't have done it if the careless git had used the rubbish bag.

Post subject: Re: Breakdowns, car problems, flat tyres
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:34 pm 

We will be visiting KNP soon and will be driving from Durban in a hire car.
- Is it possible to buy an emergency tyre inflator kit in case of a puncture ?- in the UK it's called Tyreweld.It is a pressurised can with some sort of gunge in it that fills the hole.
Is there a motor accessory place in Malalane or on the way from Durban?

brewersfriend

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:38 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Yes we have them in SA.

Most large garages would probably sell them, failing that look for a chain store called Midas (car accessories) in the cities.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:11 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

A few years back our car broke down infront of lions and we couldn't get out to see what was wrong. eventually after an hour the car behind us hit our car slowly to start it up!!

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:34 pm 

With a car full of parents and luggage we had a slowly deflating tyre last November on one of the gravel roads halfway between Croc Bridge and Malelane.
Getting out there seemed a bad idea with quite dense bush all around so we drove a few kms to a bird hide and changed it there, even through it was unprotected parking.
After waiting for the wheel to cool down enough to be able to touch it (that took a good 5 minutes) we needed to unpack all our stuff.
Halfway through the replacing we heard a hippo-like grunt in the bushes nearby and dashed for the hide entrance, quickly finishing and repacking a few minutes later.
Makes you feel alive!
Of course the tyre wasn't insured so in Nelspruit on the way home we spent a happy hour looking for a replacement,..

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:30 pm 

I have been struggling with slow punctures a lot especially in KNP and Mapungubwe.
When I challenged Tiger Wheel and Tyre who always change and fit and fix my tyres, about it (I thought they did a sloppy job somewhere) the manager explained to me that my love of driving on the dirt roads are really the problem.
The very fine sand settles between the rim and the tyre and causes the slow punctures. :?
Any advice on how to deal with this? other than telling me not to drive on these roads (or getting a 4X4).

"I am doomed to be a wanderer, I am not an empire builder, I am not a missionary, I am not truly a scientist, I merely want to return to the bush to continue my wanderings" (Joseph Thompson - The bush for me and Africa for him)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next