SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:32 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

False.
The male duck-billed platypus is unique in having a poisonous sting.
The male platypus has venomous ankle spurs, which are used in territorial battles and fights over mates. The venom is not normally lethal to humans but produces excruciating pain and swelling that lasts for several months. The pain is so intense that the victim is rendered almost helpless. The venom can be lethal to dingos and smaller domestic animals. Venom is produced in the crural glands of the male during the breeding season and is aggressively inflicted through a calcaneus spur on each hind limb.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:09 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Well done Bouf!!!!

You are spot on. Great explanation.

So the answer is false.

Right next one:

Lions are immune to Anthrax

Being African is not determined by race, but by what's in your heart

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:24 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

False.
Cattle, sheep, goats, horses, donkeys, pigs, dogs, etc... are affected. Wild ruminants such as antelopes & gazelles are also equally susceptible. Elephants and hippopotamus have been reported to have died from the disease in outbreaks in some parts of Africa. Wild carnivores such as lions, hyenas, jackals, etc... are also susceptible.
Wild carnivores become infected through the consumption of infected animals that have died from anthrax.
From Camps & Roads
Peter Betts wrote:
A few years back there was a huge Anthrax outbreak and chated to Johan Oelofse the resident Woodlands Section Ranger while we were admiring the view at Tshanga. He told me that he had lost a lot of animals in his vast section but the day before he had come across something very sad...the two beautiful pride males of the local pride dead from anthrax only metres apart on the earth dam wall of Rooibosrant dam

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:11 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I agree with Bouf: false.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:50 pm 

I can't argue with Bouf! False!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:23 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I agree, it has to be false! :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:54 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Uhhhhh, Sorry, you are all wrong

Answer is kinda.

Lions are not naturally immune to anthrax. However, there are Lions in the Kalahari and Namib that have built up immunity to it. Researchers are trying to currently figure out if it is now genetic..

Remember the Cheetah Fly question??
Reply from Well known Cheetah Source:
Quote:
I have to say this is the first time I have had this question. Normally people ask about the cheetahs, not the flies on the cheetahs. The name of the fly mentioned in the programme is called Hippobosca longipennis.

Next question....
Anthrax occurs naturally, it is not made by humans.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:17 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Loams wrote:

Next question....
Anthrax occurs naturally, it is not made by humans.

I say true.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:48 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Anthrax is caused by a bacterial organism Bacillus anthracis. It has a vegetative (soft) form and a spore form (hard) which allows it to survive harsh environmental conditions for up to 100 years.

Anthrax affects both humans and animals. Anthrax occurs naturally in the soil from where it is ingested by animals and humans. In some areas of South Africa, such as the Kruger National Park, anthrax is regarded as endemic.

True

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:16 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

As Bouf says, B. anthracis occurs naturally, so I agree true. It is the delivery method that makes it such a potent biological weapon.

According to the Centres for Disease Control, if you get infected with anthrax naturally, it'll tend to happen cutaneously (i.e. via the skin) and you'll get skin ulcers, fever and fatigue. It's fatal in 20% of cases. Gastrointestinal anthrax (from eating contaminated meat) is another naturally occuring form, and kills 50% of those infected. Very, very rarely will you naturally get inhalational anthrax (from breathing in the spores).

The CDC says:
Quote:
When B. anthracis is inhaled, as when used as a biological weapon, it is much more serious. The first symptoms may include a sore throat, mild fever and muscle aches. But within several days these symptoms are followed by severe breathing problems, shock, and often meningitis (inflammation of the brain and spinal cord covering). Once symptoms appear, this form of anthrax is almost always fatal, despite treatment with antibiotics.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:38 am 

How on earth could I argue with that???
True

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:38 am 

Anthrax is a bacteria that grows in the blood and organs of all mammals. It produces three different toxins: one causes bleeding, one causes swelling (oedema) and the third tissue damage I think.(can't remember my bacteriology that well!) Different animals are affected more or less by the different toxins. Lions happen to be most affected by the swelling toxin, which blocks the breathing passages and they suffocate to death. As far as I can remember, (or just logically) the different strains of anthrax produce more or less of the three toxins, so if a lion gets a strain that produces less swelling toxin it may survive. and then become immune ?

It is not that easy for humans to contract anthrax and there is a very good chance of curing it. As mentioned before the most deadly form is the lung form. A friend of mine accidentally stabbed his finger with a slide that had fresh anthrax spores on it! We watched it carefully, but no infection happened. There was a respiratory disease called wool-sorters disease, that people that worked with wool contracted from inhaling anthrax spores.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:36 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

bushguy wrote:
A friend of mine accidentally stabbed his finger with a slide that had fresh anthrax spores on it! We watched it carefully, but no infection happened.
:big_eyes: Good grief!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:21 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Well, there was some nice interaction here. I like it!!!!

Well done, everyone, the answer is true. And again, I do not need to elaborate further.

I would like to just have a tribute to what I thought was an amazing man. And the world is poorer without him. I feel, that although some of his methods might be questionable for some, the greater good that he did, outweighed any negativity. My question today is about Steve Irwin.

Question:

On a good day, Steve Irwin reached about 500 million people with his various conservation messages.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:51 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I would say true. Since his death we have had programs on daily about his life and he certainly had a huge following, especially in America.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next