SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:20 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

True.

There are permanently resident and some almost permanently nomadic populations of wildebeest, and all gradations in between. The small, resident populations may consist of about eight cows with calves, while large migratory populations may number in the thousands. It is not known why some populations in the same region and under the same conditions are resident and some are nomadic.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:32 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

True.

It is not the "great organised exodus" as it is sometimes depicted om T.V. It is rather a haphazard movement following the grazing and the whim of many thousands of individuals, which in the end creates a migration. As always some individuals do not subscribe to the norm, and stay behind.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:37 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:? W@H, you are banned from this quiz :D

To the rest of you, sorry I neglected my quiz for a while. It's been a tough week....

Everybody (W@H excluded), you guessed correct, and Imberbe as well as restio explained exactly why.

Next one
Thomsons gazelle fawns smell exactly like their mother at birth, which is how she distinguishes her fawn from the rest of the herd's fawns.......

Being African is not determined by race, but by what's in your heart

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:33 pm 

Not sure on this one, but would hazard to guess this is FALSE.

Reason: Most fawns actually has virtually no smell. The reason for this is that it helps them to avoid detection by predators.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:49 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I agree with Imberbe: false. To protect against predators, their scent glands only start working when they are older.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:08 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I shall also say False.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:16 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I'd also say false! I would say it's the sound that makes them recognise their calves!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:41 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Welcome back to my quiz Salva ;-)

Everyone is spot on..... again.... :evil:
Fawns are born (almost or totally) scentless. They use this and lying completely still to avoid predators. I have seen cheetah walking a few metres away from a gazelle, not knowing where it was. The gazelle didn't move, and lived to see another day

I'm gonna have to make this harder :twisted:

But not today.....

Next Question
Male Lions will not allow any other pride member to feed while he is feeding.........

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:47 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I'm going for Kinda, as I don't think its a 100% rule. (I'm sure we have a pic of a pride feeding on a buff they just bought down and there are both male and females)
Interactions and pecking order among pride members at a kill is highly developed and lions rarely eat in peace. Squabbling and fighting happens frequently, with adult males usually eating first, followed by the females and then the cubs.
The mature males, if present, always eat first and rarely tolerate females in the initial feeding when the full pride is assembled. When they have satisfied themselves, they retire and relax, and the females come forward with constant bickering and fighting among themselves. Many of the facial wounds, and the injuries represented by the scars on the lions heads, are received during squabbles at kills. Juveniles and cubs are the last to feed and are frequently left out altogether. A sad and all but inexplicable fact of lion life, given the generally social nature of the pride, is that the leading cause of cub death is starvation. Cubs are apparently readily expendable, in the interest of the pride during periods of food shortage, and are later easily replaced when food supply is increased.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:10 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Loams wrote:
Welcome back to my quiz Salva ;-)

Everyone is spot on..... again.... :evil:
Fawns are born (almost or totally) scentless. They use this and lying completely still to avoid predators. I have seen cheetah walking a few metres away from a gazelle, not knowing where it was. The gazelle didn't move, and lived to see another day

I'm gonna have to make this harder :twisted:

But not today.....

Next Question
Male Lions will not allow any other pride member to feed while he is feeding.........

I'd say false since I have seen whole families eating together (males and females) on documentaries. Could of course have been sissie male lions...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:00 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:?

I have thought long and hard about this one, and the fact is that there is no definite answer... Some male Lions don't allow anyone near a carcass while they are feeding, some don't even allow anyone near a carcass, whether they are eating or not. SOme male Lions only allow cubs while they are feeding, but they still banish females from the kill while some Males allow females before they allow cubs..

So answer is kinda.... I think at the moment, most researchers are leaning towards a feeling that a majority of male Lions will allow their cubs to feed alongside them, before they allow females. After all, the cubs are their legacy, and the main reason for Males to be around.

Ok, so who's got a true or false or kinda question???

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:59 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Loams wrote:
The answer is true. The second biggest Wildebeest migration in the world is in Botswana. Of course there are some zebra involved as well.

Just for info (didn't know where to post since not really sanp related but wildlife related and VERY intresting and more or less related to this post).

biggest mammal migration worldwide is in Serengeti - Masai Mara ecosystem, yes? NOT. Biologists very recently discovered the biggest migration existing of 1.5 million mammals, the bulk of them being antelope. This migration takes place in ... southern Sudan.

Remarkable because

1. untill 2 years ago this area was in severe war conditions

2. how the hell did this massive event escape scientifists' attention till now?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:22 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

They didn't want their asses shot off?

(Usain Bolt August 2012)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15