Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 948 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: BEGINNERS' STARGAZING QUIZ (QM)
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:04 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Award: Avatar of the Year (2012)
Thanks for the answers OWN, it makes things much clearer. :D My question is:

Are all stars stationary, or do some move?

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:49 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

:dance: :dance: yay glad this has started and enjoyed reading the first Q now :thumbs_up:

My question OWN (not sure if its relevant) is do stars and planets appear as different colours in the night sky?, because as i understand it the colour we see is representative of the major elemental component as each element has different colour bands if you were to look through a spectrometer

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:09 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Thanks, Siobain and Oddesy, for the excellent questions. In general, there is no such thing as an irrelevant question! I will simply monitor the relevancy to this quiz's level and, where appropriate, expand on it. Both of these questions are relevant, and help to contribute to the basic understanding of what we are looking at, and why this is so. I have found that the more knowledge one gains, the easier it is to understand the stars, and thereby appreciate what is seen! Stargazing appreciation is then both an acquisition of basic knowledge of how things work in the universe, and knowing where to look for heavenly objects. I will cover both during our journey on this quiz!

I will get back to both of your questions in a few days' time (so watch this spot), but for now, I want us to be able to find our very first planet in the sky! Once you know where it is, you will be able to impress many people by showing them, mainly because the vast majority of people have no idea they are looking at it, even though they probably see it clearly and dismiss it as "just another star".

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:16 pm 
I have a very good reason why I want to get to the viewing of this heavenly object as soon as possible: it is getting close to disappearing behind the horizon at night for the next 6 months or so. And you don't want to miss this one!

BACKGROUND: Just after sunset, look above the western horizon, along the same line as the setting sun. Stretch out your hand and hold it at arm's length. About one outstretched hand from the horizon in an upwards direction is a very bright star. Actually, if you look at it through binocs, it will appear as a small round ball. And, too, it shines steadily. If you had to observe it over several months, you will notice that it will "wander" across the night sky over time. So, as we have learned, it is not a star, but indeed a planet!

QUESTION:
WHAT PLANET DO YOU THINK THIS IS?
(Guesses are acceptable!)

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Last edited by onewithnature on Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:21 pm 

That would be Jupiter?

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:06 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I agree Imberbe, at that height, direction and time must be Jupiter.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:14 am 
I see the beginners are out in force :wink: :D

Any other beginners on this quiz want to give it a go? A hint: it is one of the very brightest "stars" in the night sky. And it is in one of the areas of the sky at the moment where there are not many other bright stars around it. So, it stands out magnificently! Please go outside and train your binoculars onto this object (as I said, it is the brightest "star" around just after dunk, and above the western horizon) - if you look carefully, you will see some small, faint objects very close to it: these are moons! Go and have a look tonight directly after the sky has darkened sufficiently, then come and report back to me! Stargazing is a hands-on passion - you have to look yourselves to appreciate it!!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:24 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I'll go out tonight and see if I can see any of Jupiter's stars...

I believe that for man to survive, we must work with nature rather than against her. We need the land; the land doesn't need us. Too many people have lost sight of this fact. - Bruce Truter

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:53 pm 
Naked-eyes please; no scope for you, Bishop! Being a beginner and all, I understand your comments - some of the "stars" actually circle Jupiter. :twisted: :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:19 pm 
BTW, all you budding stargazing mites who live in the Northern Hemisphere: YOU'RE NOT EXCLUDED! Please know that you can see this planet dominating the south-western sky (just a little way to the south of where the sun sets) in the evenings, setting before 7pm by the end of January. But, it is dark much sooner, being winter and all, isn't it, in your parts of the world?

So, you'll be able to enjoy an even longer look at this planet (that we have been discussing), and it will be higher above the south-western horizon when it first gets dark! So, it's actually an advantage for you guys over us Southies! For Europe and North America, you should see it about three closed-fist heights above the horizon when it first gets dark there (make a closed fist, keep it at arm's length, and estimate three fists one on top of the other).

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:24 pm 
onewithnature wrote:
I have a very good reason why I want to get to the viewing of this heavenly object as soon as possible: it is getting close to disappearing behind the horizon at night for the next 6 months or so. And you don't want to miss this one!

BACKGROUND: Just after sunset, look above the western horizon, along the same line as the setting sun. Stretch out your hand and hold it at arm's length. About one outstretched hand from the horizon in an upwards direction is a very bright star. Actually, if you look at it through binocs, it will appear as a small round ball. And, too, it shines steadily. If you had to observe it over several months, you will notice that it will "wander" across the night sky over time. So, as we have learned, it is not a star, but indeed a planet!

QUESTION:
WHAT PLANET DO YOU THINK THIS IS?
(Guesses are acceptable!)

Just to refresh the question as I asked a couple of days ago for the beginners on this quiz!

(Mites in the Northern Hemisphere, please read my post just above this one! Thanks.)

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:33 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hello there, I am joining in the quiz..

My answers from clues given by others is.... JUPITER. :tongue:

This may be my only chance of answering a question, so I'll jump in now, before the clues run dry.. 8)

JJ

To vote for your FAVOURITE WEBCAM SIGHTING go HERE

My Trip to Marakele National Park- Here

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:15 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I will also go with Jupiter. If you will allow me to embellish QM....

Jupiter was named after the King of the Roman Gods. It is the 4th brightest object in our universe,
following the Sun, Moon and Venus. It is the largest planet in our solar system by far.
Measuring 11 times larger than Earth and 300 times it's mass. It is the fastest spinning planet
and one Jupiter day is a little less than 10 Earth hours. It has possibly in excess of 60 moons,
the four largest can be viewed through Bino's, each of the four is covered in frozen water but
with very different surfaces. (Lets hope my source is correct.)

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:33 pm 
You MAY embellish, Siobain. :wink: In fact, anyone who wants to add any information they think might help in finding an object, or just making it more exciting to view based on having extra knowledge about it, is WELCOME to do so! No long cut-and-pastes from the Net, though; these are too long for a beginner's quiz of this nature: just keep it short, simple, and interesting so that others can also enjoy some extra info.

Thanks for the extra info, Siobain - interesting stuff. BTW, when I once asked you if you could indeed see the 4 main moons of Jupiter with your naked eyes, you assured me you could. That is quite an unusual feat, you know :clap: :clap: I don't know many people that have such excellent eyesight that they can see those moons with the naked eye!!

Forumites, can anyone else see the 4 moons of Jupiter with your naked eyes?? I'm really curious on this one, as I haven't come across many who can. Please let me know. At the moment, the moons are clearly visible, but you may only be able to see one or two at a time, as each moves periodically across the disc of Jupiter, and then behind. They wil be seen as tiny points of light next to, or just in front, of the planet. You will need a dark sky, though, without light pollution.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:38 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Not sure if I saw all four moons OWN, but living out of town it is very dark here, and I definitely saw two.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 948 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 64  Next