Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Kgalagadi Quiz - OQ
Unread postPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:29 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The bulls (males) are the ones whose pupils/irises are focused straight ahead, while the females are the ones whose pupils/irises are furtively glancing out of the corners of their eyes....looking at penis sheaths....?

Unread postPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:32 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

:shock: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:22 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

AFRICAT wrote:
The bulls (males) are the ones whose pupils/irises are focused straight ahead, while the females are the ones whose pupils/irises are furtively glancing out of the corners of their eyes....looking at penis sheaths....?

:funny: :funny:

Built - yes. Horn length and thickness - yes. But there are some other things about the horns as well... (Now in conjunction with the above...)

If there's no answers by tomorrow I'll give a clue on where to go read...

I believe that for man to survive, we must work with nature rather than against her. We need the land; the land doesn't need us. Too many people have lost sight of this fact. - Bruce Truter

Unread postPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 12:41 pm 

Please do tell Bishop :D

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 12:52 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

HI DB - my apologies. I actually just realised, before seeing that there's a reply, that I've missed answering this one. The answer, from where I posted it in the gemsbok/oryx topic in the mammals forum/thread the other day... :twisted:

To identify bulls in an oryx herd is not always easy – especially not when they are standing around and resting amongst trees or in long grass and bushes. There are a couple of things one can look at.

The bulls are heavier built than the cows, their horns are noticeably thicker, and the V-form is somewhat narrower than it is with the cows, although this is not always so reliable. Another way to determine whether an animal is a bull or a cow is to look at the space between the horns at the bases. With adult bulls this space is usually too narrow to fit a third horn base in, as the bases are generally far thicker than that of cows. In general the bulls’ horns are also slightly shorter than that of the cows, and are ridged heavier. Also the cows' horns are often somewhat crooked. Another method is to look at the horns where they come out of the head. Seen from the front, a mature bull's horns bell very slightly outwards just above the head, whereas those of the cows usually grow straight up from the head. A mature bull's thicker neck is also noticeable.

Not one of these methods of determining the sex is 100% fallible however. Sometimes you’ll get cows with horns that look just like those of the bulls. The only way to make absolutely sure is to see the penis sheath.

So, @Sawubona and @billyf, you were both right in what you said. :thumbs_up: @Africat? :naughty:

I believe that for man to survive, we must work with nature rather than against her. We need the land; the land doesn't need us. Too many people have lost sight of this fact. - Bruce Truter

Unread postPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:19 pm 

Thanks Bishop - very interesting ... now just to remember it for next time I see oryx!

I was only bumping you here cos I am dying to ask another Q!!

BTW I believe Whistling Rats will make their holes where an oryx has urinated because the ground there is more compact from the concentrated urine of the oryx.

Here it is!

Why is the sand on the dunes in the Kalahari the reddish colour that it is?

Unread postPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:25 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

DB, that's OK, sometimes some prodding is necessary to get things going again. You ever seen a prodder used on a stubborn cow/bull that doens't want to walk down the pressway? :mrgreen: Suddenly there's movement! :shock:

The dune colour. Seem to remember that it has smething to do with the minaral content? Can't remember what is in there exactly, but that's also the reason you'll get the white dunes etc. (Got a Powerpoint or Word document with some coloured beaches around the world. Pure white, black, green, red, and one or two others. All because of the minerals. Amazgin to see actually.)

Unread postPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:14 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The color is due to the high concentration of iron oxide. In areas of natural underground water, the iron oxide is leached out, which is why the pan sand color is white. Some tidbits:

The sand originated from rocks, lying in a shallow basin, that were eroded by wind over millions of years. The red colour of the dunes is caused by iron oxide, which covers each quartzite sand grain. The rainfall of the area is too low to reduce this iron oxide, and a wonderful variety of colours can be found in the desert sand. The dunes of the Kalahari hide the ancient sedimentary rocks which are believed to be rich in fossil deposits.

Three surfaces characterize virtually all of the Kalahari: sand sheets, longitudinal dunes, and vleis (pans).

The sand sheets appear to have been formed during the Pleistocene Epoch (1,600,000 to 10,000 years ago), and they have been fixed in place since then. In some areas they appear to have been of fluvial origin, the result of sheet flooding in times of much greater precipitation, but by far the greater part of them were wind-formed.

(May I ask if I am "cheating" when I consult the experts, as this is obviously not stuff I know on my own. I do learn so much by looking all this information up, but don't want to skirt the rules. Thanks!)

Unread postPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:42 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Africat! :clap: :clap:

Cheating? If you consult the experts? I know there are some on the forums that do consider that cheating, but I am not of that persuasion. If you don't consult the experts, whether it is books, the internet, somebody in person, how else are you going to learn? And how are we going to learn with you?

Thanks for that answer. And of course along with the fossils, the dunes are also hiding the lost city of the Kalahari... :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 3:14 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

8 days later...Dinkybird, I suspect you have a treasure trove of info. for us...and we're eager to learn! Just as you prodded one along, so too am I you (with a feather), after all, I read Imberbe's concern over the lightning quick turn-arounds on these quizzes....NOT! These are not lightning rounds, but stalled squalls.

Teach us, PLEEZE!

Unread postPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 3:59 pm 

:oops:

Apologies!

Africat - my answer was to be that the sand on the dunes is reddish in colour because of the iron-oxide content. The dunes receive very little rain fall - not enough to 'wash' the grains of sand of the iron-oxide. The sand in the river beds though is white, because there the water content/flow is much higher.

Your answer taught me! :clap:

Unread postPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 11:14 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

As so many of us are forever enamored with the Kalahari, I will try to keep this quiz alive...

What Kalahari animal enjoys the "survival of the laziest" philosophy? This tendency constitutes a perfect energy balance regarding the Kalahari climate. In these societies, up to 40% of the members only sleep and eat. However, when mating time rolls around, the fat and lazy are first in line...What animal am I?

Unread postPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 11:36 am 

:hmz:

:) :) :) :) :)

Last edited by Caracal on Sun May 31, 2009 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 11:36 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Seems to me that there are only sleeping lions around?

Unread postPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 11:54 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Keep those thinking caps on...Micetta, not close..yet.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 31  Next