SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 976 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 66  Next
 Post subject: Re: Insect Quiz (RV)
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:32 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

1. Mopane worms obviously.
2. Grasshoppers, especially the flat brown ones - we did when we were kids.
3. Termites - especially the nice fat flying ones one sees after the rain. Very nutricious with lots of fat.
4. Honey bee larvae as part of the honey combs removed.

Can't think of another one... :hmz:

I believe that for man to survive, we must work with nature rather than against her. We need the land; the land doesn't need us. Too many people have lost sight of this fact. - Bruce Truter

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:59 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Excellent Bishop! Good enough for me. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Another one is the jewel beetle.
Bishop, YOU'RE IT! :thumbs_up:

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:51 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks OWN... I think... Insects, don't know much about them, but right now I've got one making one helluva noise outside my study here! Not a cycad, but something in the same vein...

Anycase, on to a question. Before I read this the other day I thought that fireflies were just... fireflies. Didn't realise there were many species of them! :shock: Unfortunately the snippet doesn't provide species names, but does give a nice question. It is sort of against the "rules" as it is a multi-part question, but it is all integrated.

How does the male and female firefly get together/meet? There's a dangerous catch to this - what is it? :shock: Even worse, there's a catch to the catch! :big_eyes: Explain. :huh:

I believe that for man to survive, we must work with nature rather than against her. We need the land; the land doesn't need us. Too many people have lost sight of this fact. - Bruce Truter

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:22 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Male fireflies attract females via the color, pattern, and/or timing of their "lights", which are specific to each species. The female answers with her own flash that the male recognizes as his species. I'm not sure what you're looking for exactly in the last two questions, but I know there are predatory female fireflies that mimic the flashes of other species, pretending to be prospective mates for the amorous male. When the male answers, the female then simulates the appropriate "love lights", catch the male, and devours him.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:16 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Africat, yes, that's correct for the first two questions. The males call with their light's frequency of whatever, and there's predatory females that "answer" in order to lure the male to supper... :thumbs_up: Now, what's the catch to the catch?

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:18 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I have no idea, other than that she devours him and that she also obtains some defensive protection for her eggs from some chemicals he possesses....HELP, SOMEBODY??? Please help keep this quiz going all you entomologist wanna-beez...(or is that like calling someone a nerd-wanna-be?)

Okay, let me restate that...Please help keep this quiz going all you sun-kissed, bronze, intelligent, rugged outdoors men and women who are so truly sensitive you appreciate even the small treasures in Life.
(And would therefore be great "catches", yourselves.)

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:27 pm 

bishop3006 wrote:
Thanks OWN... I think... Insects, don't know much about them, but right now I've got one making one helluva noise outside my study here! Not a cycad, but something in the same vein...

We are all very glad that your cycad is not making a noise Bishop ... :lol:

cycad = plant = broodboom

Cicada my friend. :wink:

Guessing on the third part of your question... Are there some males that turn the tables on the females by devouring them?
:huh:

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:27 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Imberbe wrote:
We are all very glad that your cycad is not making a noise Bishop ... :lol:

cycad = plant = broodboom

Cicada my friend. :wink:

:redface: :redface: uuuuhhh, how do you know? When did you hear me and my cycad talking!?!? :mrgreen:

Imberbe wrote:
Guessing on the third part of your question... Are there some males that turn the tables on the females by devouring them? :huh:

Yes, along those lines. Quite interesting actually. Some years ago somebody at work's child's school was selling Ronnie Watt's (Editor) Veldfocus: Ten Years of Nature's Wonders and I took one. Some of the best photos of the first ten years of 50/50's Veldfocus, and are there good ones! :clap: With some descriptions to go along with it. :dance: Then, as a postscript, he's got this little snippet (to actually intro about animal "intelligence" or not) (typos' are mine):

Quote:
To attract a mate, a male firefly emits flashes of light to signal his presence. If a female is present, she responds with her own flash. The frequency of these flashes are species-specific. There are, however, female fireflies of a different genus that mimic the flash of other females to attract, catch and eat the males that respond. There are also predator male fireflies that will flash just like those males that are lured to their death by predator females. These males pretend to be a potential meal in order to hunt the females that pretend to be a potential mate in order to get a meal.
:big_eyes: :big_eyes:

Africat, you worked real hard on this one - you're IT :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:26 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

What impact has the Argentine ant had on the Cape floral species and what part did the horses of the British army during the Anglo-Boer war play? What species of South African flora is most threatened as a result?

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:10 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Can't remember where I read this the other day - probably here on the quizzes, and I can't remember what protea species are invovled, neither ants, and neither do I know anything about horses!

What do I know? Good question. :redface:

The local ants that are involved with spreading these protea take the seeds into their homes, but eat only the fleshy part, leaving the seeds which then germinate.

However, the foreign ants eat (part of?) the seed as well, thus killing the seed, not spreading it.

The horses? Came in their feed? :huh:

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:25 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Bishop3006, you're good! Yes it came in the fodder for the horses and now threatens more than half of S.Africa's protea species. They have displaced indigenous ants and thereby disrupted the distribution of the seds.

You're "IT"....

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:42 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Good? ME? :big_eyes: Nope, just (try and) read a lot, and have got a reasonably good memory.

You say they're threatening HALF of our protea species? :big_eyes: WOW! That's not good. Not good at all! Can't anything be done about it?

Question? :hmz: I'll have to think/read a bit and see what I can come up with in relation to insects - know even less about them than I know about other things... :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:07 am 
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Fascinating info on the fireflies! Thanks guys (and gals?)! :thumbs_up: Just like spy vs. spy this flashing thing, eh?
Can't wait for the next question ...

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:56 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

We all know the lovely insect to play with - the antlion.

a) What stage of the insect's life is the antlion that makes the pits in the sand?
b) How long do these antlion live?
c) Other than the egg stage, what are the other stages?

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:01 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Living in Florida, I have been amused by doodlebugs, or antlions since I was knee high to a grasshopper, as we say.

Of the 2000 worldwide species, we have 22 species, making us the premier antlion state of the eastern USA. Now for the answers...I'm not quite so sure, but here goes my best guess:

1. the larva stage makes the pit
2. not sure on this one, as the larva form here can live from 1-3 years, which then cocoons for about a month, and the emerging adult lives for another 1-2 months...so we're talking a span of just over 1 to just over 3 years....????
3. other than the egg, it has a larval stage, a cocoon, then an adult stage

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 976 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 66  Next