Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: A Question of (Human) Survival (OQ)
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:52 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

R_mkuze,

Yes, that is a neat trick as well which is to be remembered.

Jaap, yes, as you correctly stated, you dig for water. And with soft sand you may not have to dig that hard and should come up enough water - especially if you "build" your hole a bit with rocks/stones as well.

Though your river might not be flowing above ground, below ground is another matter altogether, and most often they're still "flowing" there.

• You dig on the outside bends, you'll more likely find water there;
  • Lush vegetation is also a good idea, as that may indicate close surface water
  • Animals' digging/drinking holes are of course the best indication, as they simply know where the water is. Digging close is a good idea.
  • (One can also dig close, but not too close, to putrid water and have relatively clear water in your hole - just make sure you cook it first.)
  • Because you have the underground water, look at the rocks. If you have a rocky ridge/ledge running across the stream, the water is sort of dammed up in front - upstream - of those rocks. That is also a very good place to dig for water.

So Jaap you were mostly correct. And RM, thanks for that post - also good info to have. RM, Imberbe, RJ - thanks also for the OTHER plants' info - that is the sort of information I really would like to be shared in this quiz.

I would really appreciate, when somebody answers, especially the person who asked the question, to give explanations, instead of just answers.

I believe that for man to survive, we must work with nature rather than against her. We need the land; the land doesn't need us. Too many people have lost sight of this fact. - Bruce Truter

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:08 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: Sunninghill(JHB), Vaalwater & Beauty(Waterberg), Grahamstown(E.C)
bishop3006 wrote:
I would really appreciate, when somebody answers, especially the person who asked the question, to give explanations, instead of just answers.

Sooooooo demanding!!! :twisted: :lol:

FGASA LEVEL 1

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:12 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Demanding? YUP! I wanna LEARN, not play naught-and-crosses! :twisted: :twisted:

I believe that for man to survive, we must work with nature rather than against her. We need the land; the land doesn't need us. Too many people have lost sight of this fact. - Bruce Truter

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:09 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Rangerboy_Mkuze wrote:
Cool Quiz, lets hope it becomes popular. :pray:

Going to start a new thread while we all think about the third tree. How do you test if a berry is poisonous? It is quite a long process. :wink:

Bishop3006 that is nice info! Good to know.
I am with you! Lets get the next question rolling which comes from Rangerboy_Mkuze.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:15 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Eat it?! :roll:

Or do the skin test! :D

FGASA LEVEL 1

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:27 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Rangerboy_Mkuze wrote:
Cool Quiz, lets hope it becomes popular. :pray:

How do you test if a berry is poisonous? It is quite a long process. :wink:

RM, as far as I know there's a couple of steps, but I'm not sure of the timing involved:

• First of all observe whether birds eat it. It not (other than things like monkey oranges (? klappers in Afrikaans?) which have hard shells), rather leave well enough alone. If birds do eat it, it might be safe, but also might not - the birds may have adaptations for its poisons.
  • Next take a little bit and smear on a piece of your skin. Wait xx (how many? I can't remember) minutes. If that area becomes numb or you see an allergic reaction, of feel funny sensations or anything - leave alone, it is bad. Else, continue.
  • Take a small bite, maybe even just some of the juice if it is a juicy fruit/berry and wait again as per the above. Longer this time I seem to remember, but once again don't know the timing, but this is something like 12 or 24 hours, to also include longer term effects.
  • Then I can't remember whether it is now safe, or whether you eat a larger piece, and wait again.

Nice question - this is just one of the things I want clarity on. Hearing the bell toll, but don't know where it is...

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:51 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

bishop3006, may i just add some more....??

Recognizing and testing poisonous plants.
a) Generally all plants that are eater by monkeys can safely be consumed by man (don’t eat everything that Baboons eat).

b) Plants with a milky latex should generally be avoided. Always be certain that a plant does not contain latex, it is not always obvious, particularly during the dry months. Exceptions like figs and num-num are edible. ID the plant first!

c) Fruits that look like tomatoes and cucumbers should be avoided and unless you know how to distinguish poisonous species for mushrooms, they should be left alone.

d) Plants that smell of jasmine or almonds usually point to the presence of a poison, and plants that are fed on by insects displaying aposematic coloring should also be taken to be poisonous.

e) All fruit that is not fed on by animals should not be touched.

f) Certain fruits that are edible when ripe, can often be poisonous when unripe.

g) In order to test the edibility of a plant or fruit, rub a small quantity of the plants juice, sap, or the actual plant itself on a fairly sensitive part of your skin (inside the upper arm, inside of the wrist or on your stomach). Wait for a period of 15-20min and check the area for signs of blistering, swelling, rash and/or burning sensation or itching. If there is any sign of these symptoms, then it will be advisable to leave that particular plant alone.

h) A second test method is to either touch the plant with the tip of your tongue or using your finger placing a little of the sap or juice onto the base of your tongue. The sensitivity of this area will give an immediate reaction. If you experience a bad reaction, a bitter unpleasant taste or a burning sensation, then discard it immediately.

i) If the plant that you taste is pleasant, consume a small amount, chewing carefully looking out for any sign of a bitter after-taste or a burning sensation. Wait for at least an hour and if you do not suffer any stomach pain or cramps, then eat another small amount, continuing in this way until you are sure that the plant or fruit is safe to eat.

No, i didnt typ it out just now.. i already did about a month ago... :lol:
so just copy and past from a word document!!

:mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:12 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:lol:

Great Points there Jaap :thumbs_up:

FGASA LEVEL 1

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:26 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Jaap, quite a bit more comprehensive than my feeble attempt! And I'm surprised that you ask whether you can add :naughty: - by now you should know that I want you to...

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:03 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

bishop3006 wrote:
I want you to
:D Me 2, we all learning here!

FGASA LEVEL 1

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:26 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

bishop3006 wrote:
by now you should know that I want you to...

aaah ofcourse, by looking at your avatar i know i dont have to be polite... :lol:

shall we wait for R_M to get back to as about the answers or shall we just post another question?

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:57 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Thank You, Jaap! That is very informative and useful. Much appreciated! I guess such info is only really practical if you have absolutely no food with you in the wild and you're gut-wrenchingly hungry!

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:40 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I've PM'ed RM. If he's not responded tonight I'll post a new question.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:23 pm 

Sorry guys, got lost in the land of "no airtime". I work on GPRS so when talk time is finished so is web time.

Well done Jaap :clap: and Bishop3006 :clap:

Just one thing I thought you could eat what baboons eat but couldn't eat what monkies eat. I refer to a group of monkies that I watched on TV once they used to eat poisonous berries and then steal charcoal from local people to calm their stomachs. :hmz:

Well I guess it over to someone else but after that...
...who knows how to get out of quicksand when you are alone?

Rangerboy

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:00 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

real quick.. :D

i heard you should relax and make yourself as light as possible.
let the sand spit you out again.
maybe get hold of a floation device...

ah, just use the winch on the front of the landrover to pull itself out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next