SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 907 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bat Quiz (OQ)
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:15 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
:thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:19 pm 
Batmad wrote:
Next Question:

Name at least one migrating cave dwelling species of insectivorous bat in Southern Africa

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:38 am 
Batmad, is it one of the free-tailed bats?

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:53 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

It's a Myotis :wink: ...

2014 Birding Big Year- A 365 Day quest for 800 Species of Southern African Birds
Stiffnecks Member

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:25 am 
Oh thanks, batmad; I was struggling there. :wink: Not a lot of info around, it seems. :hmz: By the way, what book would you recommend for comprehensive information on bats of Southern Africa?

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:39 am 
Now, Batmad, I see there are five species of hairy bats found in Southern Africa and, after some research, it seems that it may be Temminck's Hairy Bat (Myotis tricolor) that migrates? :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:38 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Spot on OWN :thumbs_up: :clap:

I would recommend one book and one book alone: Bats of Southern And Central Africa by Ara Monadjem, Peter Taylor, Woody Cotterill and Corrie Schoeman. It is the only source of literature which is still in print on the regions bats and is an amazing book. It can be daunting to beginners however hopefully that will change towards the end of next year with a new book being released called "Common Bats of Southern Africa: A beginners guide" authored by yours truelly :wink:

2014 Birding Big Year- A 365 Day quest for 800 Species of Southern African Birds
Stiffnecks Member

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:37 am 
:D :D

Thanks for the referral book(s), Batmad; that will make things so much easier for absolute bat beginners like me. :thumbs_up: Bats are truly fascinating creatures - their marvellous adaptations and centuries-old myths and misinterpretations are mindblowing - and it is sad that some are being threatened with extinction because of misunderstandings and human encroachments. I am now going to be much more vigilant under roof overhangs, in caves, in some trees, and so, because I have actually seen so few of these wonderful creatures in my lifetime. If you have any tips on when and where to look, please recommend them, Sir Batmad. :pray:

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:50 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:wink: OWN....missing you! :)

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:33 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

OWN- Apologies for the late reply I have been trying to find a fairly lengthy response to a similar question to yours which I was asked just the other day, managed to come across it a few minutes ago ;)

"It's rather tough, especially in Kruger where one is not able to handle the animals unless it is for an approved SANParks endorsed research project. One also needs permits in the majority of our provinces in order to capture and handle bats. However this does not mean you still cant look around and search for these little guys.

One should always look for simple yet easily over looked signs which will lead you to the presence of bats being in the area. These include white urine stains on the sides of houses and bungalows, brown semi circular oil marks surrounding a small crevice/hole, droppings at the base of the roost, sounds (ie. audible squeaks such as the high level bridges in Kruger), and smell (Free Tailed Bats especially, emit a pungent smell when roosting together in large colonies).

At first it's extremely tough searching for bats and often people will try it once or twice and get rather despondent because they have not found any, but one must persevere. Slowly but surely as you start reading up on the species and familiarizing yourself with where a particular species would prefer to roost your areas that you check out start to change. For example if one were to look for roosting Horseshoe Bats, a cave dwelling species, one would not look in a bungalow but instead in hollow trees with a fairly large trunk.

The easiest places to find bats within Kruger are on the sides of the Lala Palms, under the leaves of Lala Palms, under the thatch over hangs, in the thatch itself where the bricks, poles and thatch meet, hollow trees (be careful of snakes and scorpions) and even under safari tents. The lekker thing about Kruger is that bats will utilize almost any man made construction as a roost so one does not always have to look in places such as trees and so on although this is still advisable.

One would also need to know what species would roost where so whether a species is a crevice dweller or a cave dweller, a free hanging rooster or one which will roost under bark. This will help you be able to target different species. So lets say I was aiming to find Free Tailed Bats: I would immedialty go look in the thatched accommodation and the expansion joints of the high level bridges as they are crevice dwellers whereas if i was searching for Epauletted Fruit Bats I would look in the Lala Palms or trees with sufficient foliage cover surrounding the fruit trees.

Hope this helps a little bit? :wink: "

Stiffnecks Member

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:08 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:) Batmad, i myself thank you for this magic info. Learning a lot from people like you. :clap:
:hmz: .....As for OWN, i think has gone AWOL. (Hope he is ok!!) :)

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:05 am 
Philip, it's good to be missed. :wink: 8)

Batmad, thank you for the excellent advice. This makes it much easier to hone my skills by knowing where to look. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

As a matter of interest too, Batmad, I was quite astonished when I was at Mata Mata because, at one point, I was knocked on the head by a bat twice. I thought the bat guiding system was so sophisticated that they would never collide with anything, yet they did so with my head on both occasions. Thinking about it, I concluded that perhaps I was standing at a nodal point close to the bungalow's wall, which may have caused a reflection point that confused the bat's radar. Beyond that, I have no other explanation.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:44 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

OWN- Glad you're back ;)

I've also had an individual fly into me once or twice and this isnt because it's echolocation is not that great it's due to many factors. Often bats can be confused by a lot of things, such as bright light, too many objects within this light or the bat could very well be a juv who is still trying to get used to using echolocation.

The instances where I had a bat collide with me were due to the bright light on the porch and the bats were feeding close by and hence got confused by the light and "lost control".

Stiffnecks Member

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:31 am 
Thanks Batmad. :D Great to have you back too. :dance: Now that I think about it, there were indeed bright lights close to the bungalow. It makes sense that their amazingly sensitive echolocation systems were never designed to handle human technology; I suppose, quite simply, their abilities were honed over thousands of years and night lights never figured into the equation. Just as people were never meant to stare at computer screens for hours at a time. :wink: Pop us another Q there, Batmad. :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:35 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Exactly- But undoubtedly as human habitation slowly but surely makes it's way into bats territories, in years to come they themselves would have evolved, possessing a form of echolocation and eye sight which will allow for the presence of bright lights and cause no confusion.

Next Question:

Name at least 2 Southern African Professors (currently alive) who have made substantial contributions to bat research in Southern Africa

Stiffnecks Member

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 907 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61  Next