SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 449 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: Primate Quizz (OQ)
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:28 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Baboons, though we think them to be highly intelligent, only ranked 11th in intelligence out of all primates in one study! Vervet monkeys ranked even more dismally, so are considered to be less intelligent than their larger cousins.

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:43 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Nope, not the answer that I'm looking for. Eg. I asked for measurements and the info I have does not agree with yours.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:53 am 

Is this what you are looking for ?

19 sept Letaba, 20-22 sept Sirheni, 23 sept Olifants, 24-26 sept Amukela (Balule Game Reserve), 27-28 sept Lower Sabie, 29-30 sept Skukuza, 1-2 oct. Shishangeni Camp Shonga , 3 oct. Lower Sabie, 4-5 oct Satara, 6 oct. Letaba

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:58 am 
Amazing detail there, HF. What does 1.0 represent on the scale?

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:35 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hipp-fan, interesting graph! Where do you get that, and what does it represent, and emasured, exactly? I see that seal are on there, but not the whale group, including dolphins and killer whales, so it is obviously not including all intelligent mammals. Maybe just land-based ones?

But I must admit, I am quite surprised to see baboons ranked above chimps. I know they can NATURALLY count, but only up to about three or four, thereafter they lose count. (One, two, three people can walk to a maize field etc. where they're wreaking havoc, and they'll run away and stay at a safe distance until all of them have left. However, should four or five come in, one stay and the rest walk away, they think it is safe and come down again. Just can't remember whether they can count up to three or four.)

I believe that for man to survive, we must work with nature rather than against her. We need the land; the land doesn't need us. Too many people have lost sight of this fact. - Bruce Truter

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:54 pm 

Well it took me quite some time to make it...... :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: Nah just kidding. :D I saw it on the internet and found it also very interesting. It's a study rapport. Now I don't know if I told you that I'm blond....... :doh: :doh: I tried reading the rapport several times, but it still isn't clear to me how they measured it. Please read it Bishop and maybe you can shed a little light. Google for "ESR 202 Applied Environmental studies: preparation for problem solving".

19 sept Letaba, 20-22 sept Sirheni, 23 sept Olifants, 24-26 sept Amukela (Balule Game Reserve), 27-28 sept Lower Sabie, 29-30 sept Skukuza, 1-2 oct. Shishangeni Camp Shonga , 3 oct. Lower Sabie, 4-5 oct Satara, 6 oct. Letaba

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:56 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

H-f, wow, :shock: :big_eyes: amazing info :clap: :clap: (before you admitted you didn't know what it was about). Whahahaohahahahaa! Just joking. :wink: And thanks, Bishie, more amazing info coming through. :clap: :clap:

The wild cards that the Lil' One received at the cricket weekend indicates the intelligence and the measurements of these two animals. I'll compare with your link, H-f, and confirm soon.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:06 am 
According to that graph of yours, HF, interesting that Man is only twice as intelligent as tree shrew, giraffe, or gray wolf. :huh: Well, I know of some people for which that is true :twisted: , but I cannot imagine that is true for the average human.
As I said, very interesting, but scale seems to be not an absolute one, but a relative one; so seems more qualitative than quantitative? :hmz: :hmz:
And, Bish, yes, strange that baboons are above chimpanzees! Wonder how scientific the study was. :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:58 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:hmz: Interesting paper... It seems to be related to statistical analysis as can applied in environmental sciences amongst others. The graph is made up of data from Carl Sagan's book The Dragons of Eden, but contained in a different book. In Sagan's book he presented a graph showing the brain masses and body masses, both on a log scale, of a collection of animal species in order to describe an intelligence scale. This scale is similar to this one:

However, this guy in this paper of H-f's says there are several problems with this graph, amongst other the direct correlation. It should be shown as a LOG scale (and that explains your issue OWN).

The paper is actually about shredding data in other studies, books, papers, etc. on a statistical basis. Makes for some interesting reading in itself!

I believe that for man to survive, we must work with nature rather than against her. We need the land; the land doesn't need us. Too many people have lost sight of this fact. - Bruce Truter

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:01 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Sorry, wanted to post the shortcut to the paper...

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/do ... 1&type=pdf

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:55 am 

Isn't it great that by posting a question we learn so much and find all that interesting stuff. :lol: :lol:
Thanks Bishop for shedding that little light Image

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:58 am 
That's why it is so important to ask questions that require some thought, but are interesting and clear enough not to find answers so diverse as to negate the value of the question.

Thanks for shedding light on this, Bish. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:05 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:roll: :roll:

According to Sanparks' Wild Cards, the intelligence of baboons is measured at 93, and that of vervets at 94.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:40 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Tell me more about glucocorticoid (GC) levels and grooming behavior in wild
female baboons during a period of instability in the alpha male rank position.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:10 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:whistle: :whistle:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 449 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next