Skip to Content

Where In Kruger? (WITH PICTURES) (OQ)

Enjoy, participate and learn from the quiz forum. Post your quiz here for others to enjoy as well

Moderator: RosemaryH

Mike1916
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Mike1916 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:03 pm

yip,nwanetsi :mrgreen:
Sustainability is not something we do in addition to..........., it is about the manner in which we do everything

francoisd
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: Where 43

Unread postby francoisd » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:52 am

Richprins wrote:Half a point for Francois, as I suspect he was poaching on mikev's answer!

Not really but half a point is better than non :D

There is only a couple of roads with all those bumps in them and S36 is one of them, the others don't have a incline like that as far as I can remember. In September 2007 wanted to travel on it (S36)up to N'waswitsontso but turned around a couple of kms after Muzandzeni as I could not handle all the shaking going on.
"The measure of life is not its duration but its donation." - Peter Marshall
www.flickr.com/groups/birdssa

Richprins

Sinkplaat

Unread postby Richprins » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:54 pm

Ok, francois! :D

Funny thing is, nobody has been able to properly explain how the corrugations occur on sand roads, some clever engineers included! :shock:

I agree S-36 is one of the worst! :shock:

Richprins

Where in Kruger

Unread postby Richprins » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:57 pm

ndloti - the perfect answer!

(Imagine being there to see it! :shock: )

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ndloti » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:25 pm

I understand it is due to the "jerking" caused by the firing of the pistons in the cylinders of the cars engine ... one needs a bit of knowledge of internal combustion engines to understand .
One does not feel it in the car , but it is transmitted as a jerk to the wheels , it results in wheel slip , which can only occur on a loose surface (dirt road ). This causes the corrugations on loose road surfaces .
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ndloti » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:47 pm

This is in central region , the view is in a westerly direction , near a junction of roads running east/west & north/south .
Last edited by ndloti on Wed May 28, 2008 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Richprins

Corrugations

Unread postby Richprins » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:43 pm

I've heard that too, ndloti, but then logic would suggest that vehicle tyres should cover the entire width of the road perfectly for many km! :shock:

Lockie
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Lockie » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:24 pm

Interesting topic. While traveling these rippled roads I was at a loss to explain the eveness of the corrugations. They do indeed stretch the entire width of the road, and one hypothesis I came up with... is it possible the ruts are caused by graders with steel tracks, as the blade would be in front and the tracks would leave such ruts?

Richprins

Corrugations

Unread postby Richprins » Thu May 01, 2008 5:40 pm

Sorry, Lockie!

Graders used have rubber tyres! :x

G@mespotter
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby G@mespotter » Fri May 02, 2008 11:47 pm

I have heard that each car has it own unique 'fingerprints - so that would be tyreprints'. Now, each car 'slips' a little bit dust backwards, forming a hill, creating a dip or 'dal'. This process is clearly minimal, but as soon as tens or hundereds or cars do it, they all do the same, and this has an 'triple down' effect ....

This is how those ribbles come to existance :roll:
Tambotie 20 July, Shipandane Birdhide 21 July, Mphongolo Backpack Trail 22 -25 July, Tzendze 26 July, and Greater Limpopo National Park 27 -29 July :D

G@mespotter
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Corrugations

Unread postby G@mespotter » Fri May 02, 2008 11:50 pm

Richprins wrote:I've heard that too, ndloti, but then logic would suggest that vehicle tyres should cover the entire width of the road perfectly for many km! :shock:

Yes, BUT (and especially in Kruger) as the amount of cars all travel on various parts, swerving all over the place. The middle of the road (where the line should be) is normally not as bad as the other part....
Tambotie 20 July, Shipandane Birdhide 21 July, Mphongolo Backpack Trail 22 -25 July, Tzendze 26 July, and Greater Limpopo National Park 27 -29 July :D

G@mespotter
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby G@mespotter » Mon May 05, 2008 9:06 am

H1-4??? :tongue:

Richprins

Ripples

Unread postby Richprins » Mon May 05, 2008 6:55 pm

All that I can come up with is that the corrugations resemble the sand ripples caused after a severe downpour of rain! :shock:

However, you sometimes get them on a completely level stretch, and why only certain roads? :?

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ndloti » Wed May 07, 2008 10:45 am

Different surface hardness ? Perhaps places where drivers tend to accelerate ?

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ndloti » Wed May 07, 2008 11:32 am

From higher ground , close to the junction of 2 roads , one tar , the other gravel .

Return to “Quizzes”