Location: Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life

relaxing at Nshawu

Boulders

Tamboti 10,11,12 May 2014
Lower Sabie 13 & 14 May 2014
Olifants 15,16,17 May 2014

Post subject: Re: Guest Houses in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:56 pm 

We have stay in all the Guest Houses and Private Camps in Kruger.
Rentmeester in Shingwedzi is very very nice.
Excellent service from all the staff as well as the interior.
On our trip in June 2010 we also saw a Lion Male next to the fence at night time.
What an experience!!

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:02 pm 

We had a wonderful time last month at ABSA house.
In the main house they did put in a new dinner table and chairs and new furniture in the living/TV room since we’ve been there last August.
Kitchen was fine, everything worked, big oven, two fridges more than enough cutlery pots and pans, the bar area also has two bar fridges, enough glasses of all sizes.
The rooms were tidy, more than big enough and in very good condition, cleaned everyday as per the Kruger standards, lovely cleaning personal also.
Outside was big enough for the 10 children in our group, the older one’s could have play soccer, younger ones ride their bikes, adults can relax outside enjoying the sunsets at the river.
Enough braai space to braai for 40 people, can even braai under roof outside if it does rain!
What makes this guesthouse so nice is that the 6 rooms stand alone from the main house, so children could have played inside the house at night time, babies sleep in the rooms and adults braai and relax, inside the house also guest toilets.
Even got two undercover parking bays.
What also makes this nicer from the other guesthouses at Skukuza is the privacy, next to the house is the staff village, no one to ride or walk past the house.. the doctor at Skukuza is about 60 meters away, luckily there was to need to go this time around !

The only complaint , if you can call it one was that they done some maintenance work on the morning of our arrival, painted the wooden balustrades at the outside braai area, so the young one’s were full of creosote and my little one year old even had a burn mark on her face for a few days.
O yes, there is a TV and decoder in the living room, but as there were 10 children and being in the Kruger we just said it was broken and hide the remotes...the last night we were there one of the big soccer games were on, think Spain and Portugal, so we told the older boys the parks people came and fixed it.....murphy’s law, it was broken all the time !!
they had to go and watch at the big screen near the shop.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:36 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks so much wbevents for the update. Really looking forward to using the Absa in a weeks time. Will try to post some pics on my return.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:27 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Hi Windsor I am not sure if I understand what you mean by “it was really quiet” correctly but we have stayed at the Stanley Guest House in May this year and it was a very peaceful and tranquil experience. But then we enjoy and prefer the quiet and tranquility. We saw many animals from the veranda - impala, blue wildebeest and zebra, we did not even want to leave the camp for drives. The scenery is also very nice to look at and lost oneself in. There are very good pictures and descriptions of the accommodation in Kruger under Availability, not sure whether you have seen it? The Pierre Joubert Guest House in Pretoriuskop is also very nice if you prefer the South.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:34 pm 

I spent last week in Kruger. we were lucky to stay in a a couple of guest houses.
we started at the Monis at skukuza for 2 nights.
nice spacious lounge and lekker braai area.
the house was very neat { as was all the other accommodation :clap: } however the house could do with another shower.

Next was the Nshawu at Olifants.
please don't go stay there ever. :naughty:
MAYBE THEN I WILL HAVE A BETTER CHANCE OF GETTING BOOKING THERE AGAIN! that view is breathtaking, the braai area is NOTHING SHORT OF PERFECT!!!
I definitely regret staying only 1 night there.
The house itself was very clean , spacious. absolutely brilliant!

Next up the RUDI FRANKEL at Satara.for two days.
Brillant as always.
the floodlit waterhole is a big attraction. the house was well kept.
READ THE GUEST BOOK AND IN MARCH SOMEONE HAD A BLACK MAMBA IN THE LOUNGE. :evil:

Post subject: NYATHI, WATERKANT 1 and MONI GUEST HOUSES
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:52 am 

Hello everyone!

I have quick question or two regarding the guest houses above -
1.) What is the layout of these guest houses - ie. do you have to go outside to get to the kitchen etc, in otherwords are there "internal" doors or is each bedroom isolated from the living areas? An example is say Stanley - it's all one big house, whereas Frankel and ABSA, you have to go outside to get to the living areas from the rooms.
2.) Do any of you have pictures of these guest houses?

SO excited - only a couple more weeks then we're back in our beloved Kruger!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many thanks

Post subject: Re: NYATHI, WATERKANT 1 and MONI GUEST HOUSES
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:04 pm 

Hi Kathy

Monis all "ïn house", 4 bedrooms all on suite with living area, kitchen next to one of the rooms, very nice deck ( not safe for youngsters !), braai area, old house but very neat and cosy. Been there not even 2 weeks ago and miss the place!

Monis almost like Letaba's Mellville"s house

Post subject: Re: NYATHI, WATERKANT 1 and MONI GUEST HOUSES
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:28 pm 

Hi Kathy,
We stayed at Nyathi last year. It has one main living area (with kitchen and sitting area), and then you have to go outside to get to the bedrooms.
It works if you have separate parties, but we went as a family and would much rather have had one house (like the Stanley in Satara).
I'm sure you will have a wonderful time though.
I am really jealous.....

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:18 am 

hi Riaan

Yes must agree, people can say what they want, going to kruger staying in guesthouses, awesome !!
Monis was very nice, neat and cosy, but Frankel.....unreal, while having after dinner drinks last week, we heard the trembling noise of a herd of buffalos running, after close inspection with our spotlights, seeing 3 young female lions trying to catch one, after about 10 minutes the buffalos got the better of the lions and chase them away. Next morning at 5H30 seeing the hole herd lying right next to fence ! Then not to mention the herd of elephants coming for a drink, giraffes, zebras, hyenas and the local genet....... all while sitting on your stoep !!
Will go to Nshawu again once the childern are bigger.

Post subject: satara Rudy Frankel Guest House
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:17 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi
I'm going to the Rudy Frankel Guest House in satara and I'd like to know more about it.
I've also heard that it over looks a water hole.
if any body can give me info.
and pics of the water hole or of the house it self
thanks
ossendryver

Post subject: Re: satara Rudy Frankel Guest House
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:47 pm 

Hi Ossendryver,
it is a wonderful guest house, one of the best in Satara IMHO and does indeed look over its own waterhole which has a flood light.
We sat at the fence one evening and watched a multitude of animals coming to drink including a huge male Lion who drank for over 10 minutes all the while keeping a beady eye on us. :wink:
It has a huge veranda with a lovely garden with lots of bird life. :D

I know there is a thread on the forum for the guest houses but can't seem to find it at present.
In the mean time have you had a look Here can get some ideas.

Kruger - May 24th - June 6th 2014.

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:39 am 

I stayed at the Frankel GH in 1987 :shock: Time flies :mrgreen:
It has its own waterhole and is not the one on the webcam. We had a pride of lions at sunset drinking, lots of hyena and lovely civet and genet sightigs into the early hours of the morning. The birdlife around the birdbath during the day was also brilliant. Enjoy, you will not be dissapointed :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:39 pm 

We have been to the Frankel House twice resently
It is absolutely amazing.From the verandah we saw animals all day and night. A small spotted Genet came onto our lawn one evening.
It is a real treat to stay there.

Post subject: Kruger Guest Houses
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:54 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I have never come across any substantial historical or other interesting information regarding the Kruger Guest Houses.
Yet it would be so interesting (and appreciated) to read some historical background about them and some relevant information regarding the persons who donated them.
For example why is the house in Lower-Sabie called Keartland and the one in Letaba Mellville?
I always wondered which the first guest house in which camp was but it is always just mentioned as available accommodation in the literature that I read and nothing further.
Maybe some forum members can share some interesting knowledge?
I think some of those houses have a lot of atmosphere surrounding them and that they should be preserved for future generations.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next