Skip to Content

Guest Houses in Kruger

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
wbevents

Re: Guest Houses in Kruger

Unread postby wbevents » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:55 am

Grantmissy

If your booking is at the Pierre Joubert guesthouse do keep it!!! The guest houses at Berg en dal are just big brick houses. You will still get the exclusive and kruger feeling at PK camp with grass, some buck, huge space and fence with no one walking past. Enjoy your trip !
July 2016 booked !!!

christo
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby christo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:41 pm

I also felt like the guesthouses in Berg en Dal feels like a large cottage, no real exclusive and atmospheric feel

They do have a great view though, I have seen Lion, leopard and wilddog drink at the dam.

Christo
To change ones life start immideately. Do it flamboyantly. No exceptions.

christo
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Guesthouses

Unread postby christo » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:29 am

I suppose everybody has their own favourites:

Fish Eagle has a lot of atmosphere, and having a riverview, have some great oppertunities if you spend time in your private hide.

Frankel has in my opinion great "luxury", but I feel no "old-world" charm. It does have superb game viewing from the unit, as it overlooks a floodlit waterhole.

I personally much prefer the Stanley, although not as luxurious, the "stoep" is such a lovely place to sit with a cold one and overlook the waterhole.

In the end, it is up to you.

wbevents

Re: Guesthouses

Unread postby wbevents » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:28 am

Yes I agree with Christo, matter of personal opinion, depends you big your party, children etc

Frankel's floodlight waterhole and general game in the Satara area will be the deciding factor for me, house bedrooms also done very clever.
July 2016 booked !!!

christo
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby christo » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:07 pm

The floodlit waterhole is shared between Stanley and Frankel. The view is good from both, possibly a little nearer to Frankel, but still no more than +- 15 meters from the Stanley fence. (Trying to guess a distance from memory here).

klotzof

Unread postby klotzof » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:11 am

Stayed at the frankel and Stanley cottages. Frankel definately has the better view but all the rooms are separate which isn't great if you have young kids . Stanley has a much more homely feel with lots of personal touches from the Stanley family. Both are great

Spinnekop

Unread postby Spinnekop » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:13 am

Went to Fish Eagle last week and it was awesome. The only thing it needs is some comfy chairs to sit on on the stoep. Unless you take your own camping chairs you have to sit on the hard/uncomfy chairs or bankie by the braaiplace.

wbevents

Unread postby wbevents » Tue May 18, 2010 10:06 am

Weltenman wrote:Anybody stay at Lebombo or ABSA Guest houses recently? Just need to find out what the general condition is of the houses? Thanks in advance..

Hi, been in ABSA last august, very clean house, bedrooms were all fine, bathrooms in working order and clean to kruger standards, big kitchen, 2 bars, big lounge and braai area with lovely stoep looking onto the river, can entertain 50 people easy at this house ! Will be there next month again and report back.
July 2016 booked !!!

Nkulu
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Nkulu » Wed May 19, 2010 7:56 am

Back at work :evil: after a two week break and we had a brilliant trip to KNP.
1. Boulders was lovely, the staff were brilliant, but the showers, oh the showers :? we had a choice of cold water or bl**dy cold water :hmz:
2. Nshawu house was brilliant, had one bat in the main bedroom, but opened the door and let him/her out, so no problem. Staff were lack luster :?
3. Stanley house was lovely, the decor is tasteful, but wish there was more than one shower, although there are three bathrooms. As we were a group of 8 and everyone wanted to shower we simply took turns. Staff were invisible, but housekeeping good!
4. Keartland house is large and spacious, but there are no screens at the windows, and the one bathroom was infested with bat droppings, resulting in a musty unpleasant smell. Curtains were hung helter skelter and generally a air of bad housekeeping :(
One thing is for sure, I will be back at both Boulders and Nshawu :D
Nkulu

I am a free spirit...Either admire me from the ground. Or fly with me...But don't ever try to cage me.

Tamboti 26 to 28 December 2015
Shingwedzi 29 to 31 December 2015
still a work in progress :o

Nkulu
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Nkulu » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:40 am

relaxing at Nshawu

Boulders
Nkulu

I am a free spirit...Either admire me from the ground. Or fly with me...But don't ever try to cage me.

Tamboti 26 to 28 December 2015
Shingwedzi 29 to 31 December 2015
still a work in progress :o

jackie

Unread postby jackie » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:56 pm

We have stay in all the Guest Houses and Private Camps in Kruger.
Rentmeester in Shingwedzi is very very nice.
Excellent service from all the staff as well as the interior.
On our trip in June 2010 we also saw a Lion Male next to the fence at night time.
What an experience!!
jackie

wbevents

Unread postby wbevents » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:02 pm

We had a wonderful time last month at ABSA house.
In the main house they did put in a new dinner table and chairs and new furniture in the living/TV room since we’ve been there last August.
Kitchen was fine, everything worked, big oven, two fridges more than enough cutlery pots and pans, the bar area also has two bar fridges, enough glasses of all sizes.
The rooms were tidy, more than big enough and in very good condition, cleaned everyday as per the Kruger standards, lovely cleaning personal also.
Outside was big enough for the 10 children in our group, the older one’s could have play soccer, younger ones ride their bikes, adults can relax outside enjoying the sunsets at the river.
Enough braai space to braai for 40 people, can even braai under roof outside if it does rain!
What makes this guesthouse so nice is that the 6 rooms stand alone from the main house, so children could have played inside the house at night time, babies sleep in the rooms and adults braai and relax, inside the house also guest toilets.
Even got two undercover parking bays.
What also makes this nicer from the other guesthouses at Skukuza is the privacy, next to the house is the staff village, no one to ride or walk past the house.. the doctor at Skukuza is about 60 meters away, luckily there was to need to go this time around !

The only complaint , if you can call it one was that they done some maintenance work on the morning of our arrival, painted the wooden balustrades at the outside braai area, so the young one’s were full of creosote and my little one year old even had a burn mark on her face for a few days.
O yes, there is a TV and decoder in the living room, but as there were 10 children and being in the Kruger we just said it was broken and hide the remotes...the last night we were there one of the big soccer games were on, think Spain and Portugal, so we told the older boys the parks people came and fixed it.....murphy’s law, it was broken all the time !!
they had to go and watch at the big screen near the shop.
July 2016 booked !!!

Grantmissy
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Grantmissy » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:27 am

Hi Windsor I am not sure if I understand what you mean by “it was really quiet” correctly but we have stayed at the Stanley Guest House in May this year and it was a very peaceful and tranquil experience. But then we enjoy and prefer the quiet and tranquility. We saw many animals from the veranda - impala, blue wildebeest and zebra, we did not even want to leave the camp for drives. The scenery is also very nice to look at and lost oneself in. There are very good pictures and descriptions of the accommodation in Kruger under Availability, not sure whether you have seen it? The Pierre Joubert Guest House in Pretoriuskop is also very nice if you prefer the South.
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

RIAAN H

Unread postby RIAAN H » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:34 pm

I spent last week in Kruger. we were lucky to stay in a a couple of guest houses.
we started at the Monis at skukuza for 2 nights.
nice spacious lounge and lekker braai area.
the house was very neat { as was all the other accommodation :clap: } however the house could do with another shower.

Next was the Nshawu at Olifants.
please don't go stay there ever. :naughty:
MAYBE THEN I WILL HAVE A BETTER CHANCE OF GETTING BOOKING THERE AGAIN! that view is breathtaking, the braai area is NOTHING SHORT OF PERFECT!!!
I definitely regret staying only 1 night there.
The house itself was very clean , spacious. absolutely brilliant!

Next up the RUDI FRANKEL at Satara.for two days.
Brillant as always.
the floodlit waterhole is a big attraction. the house was well kept.
READ THE GUEST BOOK AND IN MARCH SOMEONE HAD A BLACK MAMBA IN THE LOUNGE. :evil:

Kathy

NYATHI, WATERKANT 1 and MONI GUEST HOUSES

Unread postby Kathy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:52 am

Hello everyone!

I have quick question or two regarding the guest houses above -
1.) What is the layout of these guest houses - ie. do you have to go outside to get to the kitchen etc, in otherwords are there "internal" doors or is each bedroom isolated from the living areas? An example is say Stanley - it's all one big house, whereas Frankel and ABSA, you have to go outside to get to the living areas from the rooms.
2.) Do any of you have pictures of these guest houses?

SO excited - only a couple more weeks then we're back in our beloved Kruger!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many thanks
Kathy

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”