Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Braai area at Frankel Guest House
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:13 pm 

Hi jgs and a very warm welcome to the forum,

we stayed at the RF cottage a couple of years ago and as I recall the braais, and I do say braais as there are more than one, but altogether.
They are not really too close to the fence but do face towards where the water hole is situated, and it can still be seen together with any animals.

Really much better that way as it could very likely deter animals from coming to drink if the braais were too close, in my opinion.

I will try and scratch up some of my pics.

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:29 pm 

Thanks Elsa. Couple of pics would be appreciated. Looks like the cottage is build in a semi-circular shape. Were just concerned the braai area is located in this area far away from the fence.

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:24 pm 

I don't think you need to be concerned about the placement of the braais. they are fine and really as close as one wants to be while cooking.
The guest house also has a wonderful spacious verandah from where one can also view the animals at the water hole.
We organised ourselves a bench right at the fence and the one night while we were sitting there a huge male Lion came along and drank for about 10 minutes mere meters in front of us. :D
Absolutely magical. :dance:

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:52 pm 

Hi there. We stayed in Frankel in Oct 2008.
I wrote a trip report and I have added some pictures of the place.
You can look at my TR. Page 2 has photos of the house.
If you look at pic 3 of the house at dusk, the braai sits to the right. It is about 10 paces from the fence.
It is very pleasant to sit on the veranda at night and watch the happenings at the waterhole.
The 4th pic is of the waterhole.
Frankel is a very pleasant, spacious and secluded place.
The only drawback is that the main road is directly in front of the house with constant traffic during the day.
Following is a link to my TR

Frankel GH

You are welcome if you have any questions

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:29 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Stanley has just as great a view of the waterhole. It is by far my favourite as it has loads more atmosphere than the Frankel.

Post subject: Re: Guest Houses in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:36 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I agree Jumbo the Nshawu House is sadly neglected and given that this was the State President's house it is a grave pity that more effort is not being made to stop is falling into a state of total disrepair! I too wrote letters after staying there but to no avail it would appear!

In my humble opinion the best guest houses in Kruger are the Stanley and the Rudy Frankel simply because they are situated directly behind a floodlit waterhole. Both are also fully fenced and provided you remember to close the gates to folk wandering in they ae very private. I have many pleasurable memories of the Satara waterhole where we have sat on the bench at the fence in our own private garden with lion, leopard, african wild cat, hyaena and civet at the waterhole not to mention the buffalo, elephant and all the other plains game. Ann Stanley called Kruger Park "Heaven on Earth" and at one time all her writings under this very apt name were available on the bureau in the lounge for visitors to read!

The guesthouses also have wonderful visitor's books and it is awesome to spend a quiet hour or two during the day with these reading of the wonderful sightings folk have had together with the little anecdotes, drawings and poems - one specific one comes to mind fromt the guestbook of the Rudy Frankel cottage at Satara -

Is life tranquil asks the civet?
All depends on how you live it.
And to this rhetoric question,
I must pose you a suggestion.
Though the question is absorbing,
So the answer is rewarding.
To be tranquil is not easy -
Life's not always bright and breezy!
Try to live it like the civet
Try to LOVE it and to LIVE it!!!!!

03.10.14 - 10.10.14 Ngwenya Lodge
The addiction is fed once again

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:17 pm 

What a lovely little poem by Ann Stanley, Penny.
and I remember well the couple of nights we had at this incredible guest house. :D
Such pity about Nshawu tho. :(

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:28 pm 

Hi Helene

Welcome, not that I have been a member long !!
Waterkant is great and has been renovated in 2008, great view.
Wells is really not worth for what you are paying, if you think you pay the same for Frankle houses which got a drinking hole and the house is in way different class. The new bungalows at Satara are really nice, three or two bed, or even the 2 room guesthouses are a better bet than wells. depends how many you are ?
Second week of August ?

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:39 pm 

Quote:
I now have the choice of Wells guesthouse in Satara or Doherty house in Pretoriuskop! Which one would you go for and why?

If you go purely on look, location of unit in camp , value for money, look and feel of the house ...I would go with Doherty...stand alone units with communal braai/kuier area, quiet area of camp next to fence.
Well's ... you can hear the restaurant staff and guest’s, one bedroom more than the guest cottages, not location one are used to for guest houses.

If you purely on roads for animals, general game etc....Satara

(can't believe Well's cost the same as Frankel and Stanley guest houses)

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:13 pm 

KEARTLAND GUEST HOUSE Skukuza: Date visited: September 2009
The house is really spacious, with 4 bathrooms, 2 fridge/freezer combinations, limited dstv, old kitchen (no microwave- even Biyamiti has a microwave!) and wonderful views and lots of privacy.
The view from every bedroom is great, but the main bedroom is truly amazing.
I feel that the unit requires maintenance - the 4th bathroom (next to the lounge area) has a rather innocuous smell that you can't miss whenever passing the area - it may be a leaking toilet, or bat guana - either way very unpleasant!
Another areas that needs urgent attention is the mosquito netting by the windows.
At this point in time this netting acts only as very unattractive window dressing, and has no other function as it is loose from the window and has many holes in - thank goodness we were there before the rains (not in summer!!).
We are looking forward to returning to the house, but hopefully it has received some TLC in the mean time. We have taken photos of all the rooms / views....

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:32 pm 

Well, got back from our 7 night stay at Nshawu and can report as follows :

BOOK ME IN FOR ANOTHER 7 NIGHTS PLEASE!!.
The Nshawu exceeded my every expectation and I like to think that my email to Mr Phuti the GM of the camp had some impact.
The house appeared very well-maintained, no weeds on verandah areas, furniture (dated) but very comfortable and in tip top condition, kitchen very clean (lovely one too with granite tops, plenty crockery and cutlery, twin fridges/freezers and separate scullery area).
I counted no more than 3 cockroaches in the kitchen during my stay and that I find remarkable.
Gas braai was supplied with 2 gas bottles and what a pleasure to use this facility for breakfast.
Views uncompromised - saw lion on three occasions crossing the Olifants while sipping on a favourite tipple. We had aircon issues in our room which were dealt with in a highly professional manner - reminiscent of service levels one used to experience years ago - well done to David and Dion.
Whatever trees had been felled and left lying around have either been 'absorbed' into the surrounding foliage or removed but certainly there were no signs of rubbish and rubble lying around.
Lynneth, the house-keeper made her appearance regularly and clearly took absolute pride in her cleaning and work.
The thatching (though this becomes academic mid Nov) was not nearly as bad as what expected.
Overall - and I have stayed in several other guest houses including the new Frankel at Satara - Nshawu for me is King of the Kruger.
Enjoy your stays and don't cancel.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:49 pm 

Thanks for the report Sheebs. Glad you enjoyed your stay :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:59 am 

Hi all

I love this thread.
I have booked a holiday in Kruger for next year August, and even though we had originally decided to stay in the BnD and Biyamiti area, after reading this thread Ive just booked in at Satara in the Frankel house.
I blame this thread for this added expense to my holiday!! The thought of sitting on the patio at night and seeing the game at the waterhole...wow

Anyway, its really the waterhole that got me hooked, and I just want to find out if anyone has an opinion as to which is better, Frankel or Stanley? I'm more interested in which has the best waterhole view than the accomodation itself. its all about the game viewing for me.
Also, is the waterhole as great as everyone says it is? If so, I cant wait!

Thank you

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:22 pm 

Hi Camken

I have stayed at both
Stanley cottage is a nicer house but without doubt the view of the waterhole is better from the Frankel cottage.

They are both brilliant

Have a great time

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:23 pm 

When we stayed in the Frankel cottage a couple of years ago we sat on a bench next to the fence and watched as a huge male Lion drank from the WH for over 10 minutes, keeping one eye on us all the time.
Must say the fence didn't look nearly as sturdy the whole time! :?
We also had herds of Buffalo, Zebra and Impies of course drinking there on and off.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next