Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: S139 Biyamiti road
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:09 pm 

Hi every one

I could not find a post on this road and decided to create one. Hope it's fine. :pray: :pray:

I know sightings in and information on the area is then probably discussed on the post on the camp but would like to know if anybody has any new (or old :lol: ) info on this road.

Actually, I want to know whether it is safe and possible to drive this road with a normal (very low) car? We'll be visiting in March.

Enjoy your trips :wink:

Post subject: Re: S139 Biyamiti road
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:15 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
The road is the usual dirt road and can be driven in a norrmal car We did it in a rather old Mazda Midge. .something a little higher would be nice though

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:18 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Anja Barnard wrote:
Hope it's fine. :pray: :pray:

Perfectly fine! I'll add a link in the index.

You should have a look at the sightings Stephen (the old Biyamiti manager, now at Berg en Dal) had while bringing the kid to school at Skukuza. Very impressive lists usually, especially on leopards.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:33 pm 

Thanks Hugh :thumbs_up: Good news

You should have a look at the sightings Stephen (the old Biyamiti manager, now at Berg en Dal) had while bringing the kid to school at Skukuza. Very impressive lists usually, especially on leopards.[/quote]

DuQues, where can I find his lists of sightings? On the Biyamiti post? Thanx for the reply :wink:

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:40 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Try this one for instance.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:59 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hugh wrote:
The road is the usual dirt road and can be driven in a norrmal car We did it in a rather old Mazda Midge. .something a little higher would be nice though

Hugh,

When last did you visit Biyamti? The southern area had a lot of rain in January and I am not sure if the roads will be fixed by March. I drove the road end of Jan in a Nissan Pathfinder and found that I had to go very slow over a few section from the S25 turn-off to Biyamati, where the the rain washed away a bit of the road. The section along the Croc river (S114 and S25) was also bad with lots of crossings over streams. At out time of visit the Biyamati weir was closed and the Mhlambane river low water bridge, although only from one-side. :whistle:

Anja,

Most of the water will be away by March, but the damage to the road might remain. The best route to follow will be from H3, turn-off at H2-2, left at S114 and then right on S139.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:07 am 

...and just keep in mind that only residents at the Biyamiti camp are allowed to travel that road .. :rtm:

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:34 pm 

I have seen the big 5 on this road, but find the bush very dense in certain places, so one has to drive very slowly.

The elephants on this road are crazy :big_eyes: , maybe they are less accustomed to traffic. :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:56 pm 

Hi Anja

I was there the first weekend in Feb and the road was fine and should pose no problem for a sedan. As was mentioned earlier you should exercise caution at the Biyamiti Weir. With all the rain the grass is very tall and that is a problem especially in a sedan but as always the sightings were good the high light being a young male leopard walking on the road.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:15 pm 

Yesterday I saw the big 5 in three hours on this road, must be one of my best drives ever. The amazing thing was that the bush is so thick all this was seen on the road imagine what was just off the road, I have to try get there in late winter when not as thick

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:34 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Biyamiti is without a doubt our favourite camp - we have have stayed here during August for seven successive years. The S139 must be one of the most beautiful drives in the park and must be taken very slowly (20KM/hr max). The road is not necessarily teaming with game but when you do get a good sighting you have it all to yourself. We have seen a cheetah kill, magnificent leopard sighting , lions and plenty of good bird sightings. I agree the elephants can be a bit of a nuisance and to date we have not seen wild dog on this road.
On the down side - we have witnessed a number of "illegal" vehicles using this road which is a pity. They are very often speeding because they know that they should not be there! Last year we came across three scrub hares that had been killed by speeding vehicles on this road which is apalling. Only residents at Biyamiti are allowed here which makes it very quiet and peaceful.
The viewpoint about 10 Km from the camp on the Biyamiti Weir side is such a lovely spot to park-off. open the windows and simply soak up the ambience. There is also a lovely view point where you can get out which is closer to the camp. Here you have a beautiful elevated view of the Biyamiti river. There are often huge herds of elephant and buffalo down below in the river bed. This is the perfect location for a sundowner at sunset.

15/08 Malelane
16/08 Letaba
17-21/08 Shingwedzi
22-26/08 Balule
27/08 - 01/09 Berg n Dal
02/09 Glen Reenen

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:51 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I spent the last three nights at Biyamiti and only came back today. The road is in very good condition and you won't have to many problems traveling on this road. However, there are a few places where the road gets a bit steep which might cause some challenges for smaller cars. The following picture was taken yesterday (2011/03/05) of the road.

The road was also nicknamed "Elephant Alley" by my friends as the bush was very dense and at some places a big elephant just meters away from the road (5 - 7 meters) was barely visible behind the thick bush and grass.

“When the sun has set, no candle can replace it.”

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:36 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I am could not find recent info on Biyamiti camp and sightings in the area. Any information on sightings along the S25, S139 and Biyamiti weir? I believe the road is also open to Crocodile bridge now. Have anyone made use of the bypass?

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:33 pm 

I have just come back from Kruger and we stayed at Biyamiti on the 24th Sept
So if you have any questions fire away.
We had a fantastic sighting just out side biyamiti gate, 5 lions eating a buffalo

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:41 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Stewart,

Thanks for the feedback. Its only 2 more days and I'll be at Biyamiti. This will be my 4th visit so I am fairly familiar with the camp. Last time we left with the lions roaring from early morning somewhere along the river. We must have taken the wrong direction and missed them.

Its great to hear about your lion sighting and maybe we will be lucky to find them still around. Did you spot any leopard and wild dogs along the road or on the roads nearby like the S25. I believe one can drive through to Croc bridge now along the S25.

What was the weir like? Any special sightings there?