Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Restaurants Closed for February 2014!!!
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:17 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I'm sure the shops at the camps will have plenty of meat, veg, fruit and tinned food, I'm sure you will be able to get most of the things you need to braai or cook with

Berg n Dal is close to Malelani where there is a good Spar supermarket, get yourself a soft cool bag and ice and I'm sure your food will be fine for the 5 days you spend in Kruger

The chalets have fridges with freezers so you should have no problem keeping things cool and fresh

KNP 2- 16 May 2014

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:57 am 

Jean-Michel.Francou wrote:
if I was there for the day, no problems to bring food along, but I am in the park for five days ( Bergendael, Lower Sabie , Satara)
Lower Sabie AND Satara restaurants will be closed during our stay.
Is there food in the shops? it is quite an issue as we have to reach the camp before six o' clock and no possibility to get out afterwards till the following morning ( no possibility to go and have dinner in another camp and come back)

Jean-Michel
Belgium

As Carol G says Malelane town is close to Berg-an-Dal, it wouldn't take long to stop off before entering the park or even pop out the next day. Berg-an-Dal restaurant is not closing so you should be OK to eat there.

Skukuza will still be open as will Tshokwane picnic spot so you can eat during the day and self-cater at night.

We've always found all the shops in the camps you are staying to be well stocked.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:45 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

btw Nkuhlu does not serve food anymore
We were told that it wasnt feasable anymore with Lower Sabie and Skukuza so close by.
You can still hire a skottel

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:43 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Nkuhlu has been an increasing disgrace over the last few years. Afsaal and Tshokwane show how picnic spots should be. You can't even get a decent coffee!

Unfortunately I think overseas tourists have been forgotten in the changes happening to catering. I for one don't want to self cater. I enjoy eating out - and yes, that includes in the Kruger. To suggest we book elsewhere in the Park suggests a considerable lack of understanding of what regular visitors want to do. If you really do need to shut down catering, this should be announced 11 months ahead before we made our bookings.

Fortunately Joep, in an email, has implied that something will be laid on - a braai for instance. We will see in February!

Bring back the old days when catering was managed by the Park!!!

Richard

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:23 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
:hmz: I wonder if I can get leave, and set up a boerie roll stall on the river front. Hey Wacktazz, bring your buff pasties. We could make a killing!

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:00 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

How any hospitality business could ever entertain the idea of closing their restaurants for up to two months is completely beyond me.

I guess this proves that SANParks have never understood the hospitality side of their mandate.

Johan

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:53 pm 

This makes me so mad :evil:
I don't like to BBQ in the February heat and I booked my trip with the understanding that I could eat at the restaurants every night and have a pie for lunch, when I made my booking there was no mention that the facilities would be closed in fact I would not have booked had I known, I have spent $13000 dollars on air fare alone that is non refundable, this is totally unacceptable and very unprofessional.

We land in Phalaborwa on Sunday morning (after 49 hours of flying and eating airline food) and on Sunday the Spar is closed and now Letaba doesn't offer food either... We have been visiting Kruger every year for the past seven years and have been putting up with the broken air conditioners, filthy bedding, mice in the rooms etc because of our love of the animals but now a hotel with the restaurant closed for the entire month of our stay with no alternative restaurant to go to, and they didn't even tell us!!!!... thats the last straw and this will be our last visit to the Kruger.

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:38 pm 
Guru
Guru

Dear Shutterbug and others,

Thanks for your posting and I apologise for the disappointment. Regrettably, the process (tender, evaluation, recommendation and approval up to Board level) makes it virtually impossible to have foreseen the exact dates a year ago, when bookings could be made. If you wish to amend to where there are open restaurants, please let me know. The temporary arrangements will not only be barbeques. Should you require assistance, please contact me on email address below. Letaba restaurant will be operational during your visit there. Spar in Phalaborwa is open daily (including Sundays) until 19:00, Woolworths until 14:00 and Pick & Pay until 17:00.

I hope and trust that your February visit will still be as memorable as you had expected.

With kind regards.

JOEP STEVENS (joep.stevens@sanparks.org)

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:11 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Shutterbug wrote:
This makes me so mad :evil:

We land in Phalaborwa on Sunday morning (after 49 hours of flying and eating airline food) and on Sunday the Spar is closed.

Phalaborwa Spar is definitely open on Sundays, and you will pass it from the airport to the gate. :dance:

Tops liquor store will be closed however!!!! :whistle:

This February, we had quite cool weather, so you never know, next year may be the same!! :thumbs_up:

I can understand your frustration, but now you know, you should be able to make a plan hopefully.

Wishing you the most wonderful sightings, to make up for your disappointment. :D :D

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:37 pm 

The shop are always well stocked. As a local I don't take meat with, but buy at the shops in the camp. The other trick is to when out for the drives go to the next camp that still has a functioning restaurant and have a big lunch and then dinner is not an issue.

ThornyBush Nkaya Lodge 27 & 28 December 2013
Shingwedzi 29 & 30 December 2103
Martloth Park 31 December 2013 to 5 January 2014

Satara 25 & 26 April 2014
Mopani 27 & 28 April 2014
Punda Maria 29 & 30 April 2014

11-13 May 2014 Kruger lodge

Satara 15-18 June 2014
Lower Sabie 19 - 22 June 2014

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:50 pm 

Firstly, thanks so much to everyone for the kind and helpful private messages.

Joep, thanks for your reply. I understand that it was impossible to have an accurate timeline for the handover a year ago however we made this booking a week ago and there was no mention of any closure of the restaurants, in fact if someone was to make a booking today for February they still would not know about the closure, it would have been nice if the system saw I was booking an accommodation during the time of a restaurant closure and a popup window could have asked me if I am sure I want to make this booking ? At the very least have a notification on the main reservations page.
If the Spar in Phalaborwa is open on Sunday that will be a huge help, the reason I thought it was closed is because their website says its closed on Sundays http://www.spar.co.za/Home/Store-View/T ... -Park-Tops and thank you I did not know about the Woolworths.

Crested Val and wheckroodt, thanks for your help, we are busy making modifications to our reservations which mean that Talamati and Biyamiti are getting the axe :( those were going to be our BBQ nights.

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:09 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I think many of us on the forum sympathize with you in your great disappointment and hope that your holiday will still be special and enjoyable. :gflower:
I think it's easy for us to forget that northern hemisphere visitors are battling jet lag, have to cope with the heat and temperature changes of up to 40*,have the pressure of limited time, and foreign products and shopping conditions. :doh:
I guess this makes self catering for all meals a major task. :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:29 pm 
Guru
Guru

Dear Shutterbug,

Many thanks for additional feedback and indeed very poor that you were not informed during your recent booking process. A notice in this regard was included in the reservation confirmation letters. Please peruse and let me know? Please also forward me your reservation number?

With kind regards.

JOEP (joep.stevens@sanparks.org)

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:04 am 

Thanks very much Kite, you hit the nail on the head :) our time zone is 10 hours behind yours so to just start to feel normal takes about a week, the good thing is that we naturally wake up at about 2am for the first week or so so by the time the gate opens we have had breakfast, 10 cups of coffee and first in line at the gate :lol:

Joep: Email sent, thanks very much.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:49 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I can understand the disappointment of many, particularly those coming from overseas. :gflower: There is usually lots of planning involved and certain expectations.

A few suggestions from my side, as a frequent traveler who seldom braais. (as much as I love the taste of a good braai). I am also probably the world's laziest cook, so I do understand your reluctance to spend time preparing food.

A good cooler bag is essential for traveling from camp to camp. I freeze water or isotonic drinks to keep the food from going off. It then offers a ice cold drink when reaching the final destination. I usually buy a smaller six pack cooler bag and fill that with frozen drinks as well.

I usually buy barbequed chicken and buy fresh rolls and salad for my first night at the nearest SPAR. It makes for a simple and tasty light meal for the first night. Ice cream can be found at the shops.

Woolworths has introduced ''tinned meals". I have never tasted them but I was thinking of trying some for KTP. Their hot cross buns also keep very well. I also enjoy the numerous cheese platters they have available and I do find that they offer variety and tasty snacks.

I do find that snacking on macadamia nuts keeps hunger at bay. They seem to keep blood sugar levels constant and have even been recommended for certain high protein diets. (Don't eat them with very salty snacks as these are usually high carb and increase thirst.) A couple of handfuls of these nuts can be exceptionally filling.

I have found the SPAR shops close to the various gates offer good ready prepared meals at a very good price. The roads to the gates can also offer great sightings. The money saved can go towards an extra night drive or morning walk. One of my best food memories was of a freshly bought SPAR meal bought at Phalaborwa and eaten at the Masorini picnic site.

Personally, I find that the heat can effect my appetite. An oily supper makes the early waking less enjoyable. I always keep tinned peas that I mix with a bit of perinase and cut up bits of cheese and fresh onion. (red onion if available) I also add tinned corn. Its easy and pretty filling.

I am also going to say that as much as this has been a disappointment, to try to turn it into an adventure. I find that if I see the possibility of making a disappointment a challenge... I become richer.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next