Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: camping advice needed
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:27 am 

Hi to all forumites

I know this question might have been asked before, but we are newbies when it comes to camping and there is so much to learn, seeing I will be towing my caravan for the first time to KNP.

We are fortunate enough to go camping for three weeks in Satara this coming December. We are a family of 4 but I have 2 additional adults wishing to join us for the last week of our stay, which I already paid for with my reservation, so my question is how do they get access at the main gates of KNP?

Can they also use my reservation form and get access, or do I need to arrange something else for them to get access?

Your comments will be appreciated

Thanks

Hennieg

Post subject: Re: camping advice needed
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:35 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Hennieg

Five years ago we were in Mopani with our grandson - his parents came to join us for a couple of days and had no problem at Phalaborwa Gate using a copy of our reservation as proof that they were booked into accomodation. The reservation form that we received clearly showed the extra people and their dates. Don't think that this will have changed but perhaps it would be a good idea to check with Orpen Gate and just let them know when you enter the park about the extra 2 who are arriving later.
Enjoy Satara!

KNP 3 May - 8 June 2014

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:45 am 

Hi hennieg,

Just give them a copy of your reservation confirmation letter. They will have to pay for the additional vehicle (usually payable at the gate), however this is not always charged. Also make sure that they go to reception at Satara as they will need an exit permit for their car.

Enjoy the camping.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:55 am 

Hi PNF

Thank you for the quick response.

I dont know how the system works, but would the person at the gate really remember or know that we entered two weeks prior, and there were 2 adults short, so he should allow access to them.

If that is the case surely someone else can try to gain access illegally with someone else's reservation.
Surely it can be as simple as that.

Hennieg

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:58 am 

Hi Stephan groen.

Thanks for the advice. will do so. :clap:

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:03 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2013)
hennieg wrote:
I dont know how the system works, but would the person at the gate really remember or know that we entered two weeks prior, and there were 2 adults short, so he should allow access to them.

Hi Hennieg

I think they will make a note on their system that the two additional adults who are to arrive later did not enter the park with you on that day. So they will only show that 4 people entered on day of original arrival and that 2 additional adults will join you on --/12/2013...

Otherwise someone might very well abuse the system. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:09 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

A copy of the reservation will be all that is required, for access, then report at the rest camp reception and then enjoy it.

What a wonderful privilege.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:32 am 

Thank you everybody for your advice.

I really appreciate it.

Now for counting the days!!!!!

Hope to meet some of you there. :cam:

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:05 pm 

Your Reservation number is enough for entrance @ the gate.

Your friends just need to book themselves in @ the camp reception. The camp staff will then supply them with the necessary paperwork on their entry permit. Without this, they will not be able to leave the park. Your friends just needs to pay for conservation fees (if no wildcard) and extra vehicle fee @ the camp.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:55 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Hennie

I wrote some tips on camping at Satara http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=66480&start=0 that might be usefull for upcoming trip.

Rhino poached 2013 - 951, 2012 - 668, 2011 - 448, 2010 - 333, 2009 - 122, 2008 - 83.
Total 2600!

Our natural heritage is being stolen from us one by one!

Make your voice heard and please support a Rhino Project!

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:54 pm 

Super Mongoose

Thank you for the tips. Very informative and comprehensive.

Now just to get someone to help set up my camp properly. I haven't pitched my caravan tents yet, but I will have a practise run the upcoming long weekend in September. Don't want to look too stupid come December :hmz:

Hopefully some of the wonderful forumites will be there to give advise :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:31 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi hennieg
A word of warning if you have not camped in KNP before, the ground is like concrete. The standard rubber mallet is pretty much useless so take at least a 4lb steel mallet. Make sure your pegs are the strong type and not the tin foil type that they sell with tents nowadays.
Enjoy the three weeks at Satara, sounds so awesome!!

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:00 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

GlenD wrote:
Hi hennieg
A word of warning if you have not camped in KNP before, the ground is like concrete. The standard rubber mallet is pretty much useless so take at least a 4lb steel mallet. Make sure your pegs are the strong type and not the tin foil type that they sell with tents nowadays.
Enjoy the three weeks at Satara, sounds so awesome!!

Hennie, yes I totally agree with Glen, Satara is rock hard and a rubber mullet will be useless, it just bounces off the pegs.

We got a dead blow hammer (a small light weight hammer filled with sand I think) for our last trip to Tsendze and that work excellent! Saved us on the elbows...

Remember December it could rain a bit, but what a great time to be in Kruger! All the baby Impies will be around!

Good luck with the trail camp, maybe go away for a weekend somewhere close by and figure out the whole camping thing and enjoy!

We are camping end of October for ten days in St. Lucia, can't wait!

Rhino poached 2013 - 951, 2012 - 668, 2011 - 448, 2010 - 333, 2009 - 122, 2008 - 83.
Total 2600!

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:20 am 

GlenD, Super Mongoose

I have been going to Kruger for almost ten years now staying in bungalows etc.
Then two years ago I spoke to a kid at Tsokwane and asked him how long have they been at Satara and how long they staying. He said 4 weeks and I thought to myself this is the way to go in the future. Its is a lot cheaper and you can stay for longer.

So last year I started saving and bought all the kit I thought we would need. Also I had to convince SO that camping cant be that bad, and there would be no kreepy crawlies etc. Off course I lied and having camped for the last time back in the army days I reckoned this will be a breeze. Luckily I read all the comments on this forum on camping and got great advice which helped me put up my 6man tent and gazebo with all the "bells and whistles", as SO insisted that if she was going, then she didn't want to battle to do anything. Needless to say we probably bought more stuff than we needed, but I am a proud owner of all this equipment which will come in handy again in the future. Yes I did buy the hammer you referred to Super Mongoose. Absolute necessity in Satara!!

To give you guys an idea what our first camping experience was like, firstly I took a different route last year and got lost on our way to KNP. Clever me!! Anyways we only arrived at Satara 14h00, but could not find a place with power and shade. I drove an hour figuring out what to do until finally we went back to reception which showed us a place smack in the middle of nowhere, with no shade to speak of, away from ablutions and all the rest. I only started putting up our groundsheet and tent at around 16h00. The heat was unbearable and by the time I finished putting up the tent I must have polished 6 bottles brutal fruit( only thing cold at the time). Then came the gazebo but as luck would have it the wind started picking up and not long afterward the sun was starting to fade. I had to to unpack fridges, tables, chairs blow up matresses and it was just going crazy. now to top it all of it started raining. Figure that out on my day of arrival with SO not impressed with the final product. Thast night we didn't sleep and SO saying our tent is going to end up at Tsokwane.

Guess what the next morning I had to redo everything. I added the silver flyscreen and proper storm straps.
The next week was fine until we got to our next camp - Lower Sabie.

Expecting the stands to be as big as Satara, we got real eye opener on our arrival. Campsites small for trailer and tent and gazebo. By now I had a bit of practise and thought this time it will be smooth sailing.

Guess what, it started raining before I could finish setting up. That night it rained, and when I say it rained it really rained. So Much so my brand new Gazebo caved in on our equipment and the rain was coming in where our fidges, kettles were plugged in main power.We had to get up in the middle of night to try and save as much as we could. us hammering pegs at 02h00 in morning while everybody was sleeping. Don't think neighbours were impressed. We sat up the whole night till morning when I had to make a temporarily plan. Luckily it didn't rain the next few days and we enjoyed our stay. We saw everything that holiday we wanted to see. Fabulous!!!! We made some nice friends at Satara and cant wait to see them again this year.

To my surprise on arrival back home, my wife suggested this time we will have to go with a caravan, because that looked so appealing. Gratefully we could afford to go and buy a caravan of our choice, and this year December we are going to enjoy our new home. Its just around the corner! Lets see what unfolds this time around. Guess the SO actually enjoyed it!!!

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:22 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hey Hennie!

What a "great" first time camping experience..... That's the memories you will tell the grand kids one day... (must say I really don't like camping at Lower Sabie...)

Use my tips on getting the perfect spot at Satara and SO will love camping there for ever after... Satara is not known for great shade, but there is a bit. I would trade shade for a spot next to the fence... With a caravan it's actually very easy and we saw a few campers doing it and next time we will do the same.

We met quite a campers staying two to four weeks at a time at Satara and it's actually cheaper than staying back home in the city...

I'm actually so excited for you and the SO and hope this will be a great stay at Satara and a great trip! Hope we will see a great trip report in January!

Total 2600!