Skip to Content

Bangu waterhole (On the S90 below Balule)

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
Bosnimf
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Dams and Waterholes

Unread postby Bosnimf » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:27 pm

There's never a reason to shout at someone unless they are in imminent danger!

Katja
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Bangu waterhole

Unread postby Katja » Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:27 pm

Bangu waterhole
Last edited by Katja on Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
KTP: November 2014
KNP: March 2015

G@mespotter
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Bangu waterhole (On the S90 below Balule)

Unread postby G@mespotter » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:46 am

Any special sightings at Bangu watehole (pics will be appreciated) , and is it worth a visit in July??
Last edited by G@mespotter on Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tambotie 20 July, Shipandane Birdhide 21 July, Mphongolo Backpack Trail 22 -25 July, Tzendze 26 July, and Greater Limpopo National Park 27 -29 July :D

LindaS

Unread postby LindaS » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:06 am

Quite a few years ago we saw a pride of lions attacking a lone buffalo at Bangu waterhole, but as it was late afternoon and we had to get back to Olifants, we did not see them bring the buffalo down. The next morning what was left of the carcass of the buffalo was lying in the trough.

We have also seen at Bangu :

- two cheetah drinking
- a black-backed jackal catching a hare!
- lion (in addition to the occasion mentioned above)
- elephant drinking from the reservoir
- zebra, wildebeest, giraffe and impala

In April the waterhole was quite over-grown and you could barely make out where the trough was and we did not see any animals near it.
We went passed Bangu again about two weeks ago and the area around the trough had been cleared so you could again clearly see the trough, and workmen were busy working on the windmill.
Owing to this human activity in the vicinity, again there was no animal activity near.

When in the Satara/Olifants area, we always make a plan to drive past Bangu at least once, even though our sightings there haven't been that great the last year or two.

Shidzidzii
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Shidzidzii » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:11 am

Agree with Linda , the S100 - S41 (past Gudzani) - S90 route is very productive . It also passes thru 3 good ecozones (see your Jacana map) for variety .
It equals the other top Satara drives IMHO - Timbavati , Sweni and Nwanedzi . From Balule it is probably the best and in the early morning low traffic (till the s100).
The Bangu waterhole is where the old road to Gorge camp/ picnic spot used to be (sigh) .

Wild@Heart

Unread postby Wild@Heart » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:04 am

NatyP wrote:Hi there

Where is this waterhole????

On the S90 below Balule NatyP :wink:
NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENT IN KRUGER

richardharris
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby richardharris » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:36 pm

As with all sightings - you have to be lucky!

This is the area where one of the Olifants walks goes - and it is amazing how many rhino middens and tracks there are. And it was a few miles south of here where we saw 12 rhino together, as reported in a trip report.

Best sighting at the water hole itself; several hundred marabou stork and a smattering of various vultures. Several bateleur - and tress full of tawny eagles - we counted at least 15. This was January - and there were loads of quelea around.

Richard

Donny

Unread postby Donny » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:49 am

Was here on 09/08/07.
Lovely drive & no traffic so if u do see something chances are u will have a great view.
Did see impala & elephant at Bangu drinking from trough.
Just past bangu saw lots of wildebeest,zebra, steenbok & a lone hyena.
Arguably the big tuskers i saw in park was on the S90(3males).

Further down S90/S41 2 cheetah spotted. Cheetah regularly sighted on this stretch !

Ultimately its what was written for u you will see.

Great drive,worth a try....

christo
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby christo » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:57 pm

Across Bangu is a large tree where the resident leopard lies on the large branch on the right hand frequently. Best spotted with bino's though.
To change ones life start immideately. Do it flamboyantly. No exceptions.

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Bangu

Unread postby ndloti » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:35 pm

Have walked to the north of Bangu water hole a number of times along the Bangu spruit . The soil has a lot of clay and attracts large amounts of game at times . In the area we heard strange sounds and eventually found 2 white rhino in a dry river bed engaging in a dispute , which we were able to watch for a while . Another time on trail we surprised a lactating lioness in a river bed , luckily the cubs were not present .
The Bangu spruit runs in a north easterly direction into the Olifants . It cuts through the Lebombo mountains in a spectacularly beautifull gorge , which the renowned conservator and wilderness trail pioneer , Dr Ian Player , described as one of the two most beautifull wilderness areas he had ever visited and I agree with him , as I was exceptionally fortunate enough to be on a wilderness trail walk from the top of the Lebombo down through the gorge to the confluence with the Olifants .
I was more exceptionally fortunate to walk there as I understand this is not a regularly walked route and is avoided due to the steep inclines and the narrowness of the gorge which makes evasion of dangerous game difficult .
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Donny

Unread postby Donny » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:14 pm

hi guys,

Was at Bangu yesterday following a drive from Olifants. Managed to see 5 bull ellies drinking from the reservoir. Lions were seen about a 1km further south but unfortunately never managed to see them. Nice drive & not much traffic.

Bush Andy

Unread postby Bush Andy » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:56 pm

Saw a very large tusker there last year December chasing 2 male lions from the trough area :D ... unfortunately have no pics.

Refer to thread "Hotspots for game-viewing"... 5km stretch from Bangu heading South has been a magic area for animals for us!

Hope I've helped a tad!
A bird in the hand should be in the Bush!! ;)

Grantmissy
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Bangu waterhole (On the S90 below Balule)

Unread postby Grantmissy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:39 am

To us Bangu waterhole has a lot of Kruger atmosphere and :( we have not been to Bangu recently. The posts here confirm what I’ve always expected - that this "animal drinking and loitering spot" is indeed very special. We have usually seen general game there especially in the dry late winter period -August. Could someone who is lucky to be there or someone who recently had been lucky perhaps update us on the Bangu conditions this year during the late Kruger winter period :great: ?
Everything in moderation, including moderation – Oscar Wilde

cheetah2111
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby cheetah2111 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:55 pm

I've read in trip reports of cheetah sightings around Bangu :D :D :D
I would love to book in at balule and drive down the s90 early morning :pray:
Kruger 2014!!!

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

wachinda

Unread postby wachinda » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:01 am

We at balule for 2 nights in October . Is this waterhole still a special place to go. Anyone been there recently
Berg-en-dal 18 October 2013
Satara 19-21 October 2013
Olifants 21-22 October
Balule 22-24 October2013
Tsendze 24-26 October2013
Punda Maria 26-28 October 2013

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”