Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Balule Causeway
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:52 pm 

:hmz: The completion of this bridge has been budget for and approved already last year for completion November 2012. So why did the contractor not completed his work and came back to complete as promised before the end of March. Surely a new contract and budget is not required? :whistle:

Post subject: Re: Balule Causeway
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:33 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I was in Balule on May 29, and the state of the causeway appeared the same as in September 2012.
We can all speculate as to the reasons why the repairs were not completed before the advent of the 2013 floods, but I can understand why the resumption of the repairs have taken a back seat; the extent of the damage to the northern parts of the park is immense. For example, the road to Crooke's Corner (just the other side of the Pafuri picnic site) is not in a state of disrepair; it is simply no longer there.
On the other hand, the Pafuri picnic site has been reopened, as has the road leading to it. I would also like the Balule causeway to be repaired ( I'll be back there in September), but I guess other matters are more important right now.

Post subject: low level bridge
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:37 pm 

Hi all

I am doing the Olifants back pack trail in July and I am spending 2 nights at Balule before the trail starts, we have to report at olifants camp at 8:00 am to start the trail, does anyone know if the lowlevel bridge has been repaired ? if not how much time must I give myself to get to Olifants if I have to drive the long route to get there.

Can't wait to get there!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you in advance
Shrew

Post subject: Re: low level bridge
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:42 pm 

Hi Shew

The bridge will not be repaired in time - you will need to drive 'around'. It is about 30km from Balule to Olifants going via the Ngotso Weir road and then along the tar road to the camp. So allow at the very least an hour.

Enjoy the trail - no wonder you are super excited!!! And we would love to hear all about it when you return.

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi