Skip to Content

Wildlife in Camps

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
ruud

Re: Animals in camps

Unread postby ruud » Fri May 03, 2013 8:17 pm

Nice picture of the leopard. And good to read that the leopard is safe back in the bush.
We 'just' saw hyena, badger and african wildcat in Sataracamp last week and genet and bushbabys in Punda.

Yes, we are visiting their habitat so you can expect 'everything'.

Ruud

kellyee21

Unread postby kellyee21 » Sat May 25, 2013 10:34 am

Wow, we left Mopani on May 1 so just missed the leopard by one day. We did have AWC in the camp at Satara which was great. We were out on our usual night stroll after dinner in the camp when we spotted the AWC run past. My partner was unfazed and said, "it's just a cat !". I said yeah it's a cat, an African WILD cat. He thought it was someones pet, lol. To his defense, it looks just like a dometic cat. Same walk I found a blue waxbill sleeping on a bush. So close I could have picked it up. His head was tucked under and partner thought it was dead until he lifted his head to take a peek at us. Also hyena but they were on the other side of the fence.

Some of my favorite moments from the trip had to do with animal encounters in the camps. Honey Badgers in Tamboti, naughty monkeys in many places, a huge hairy spider living in the recycle bin at Lower Sabie, tons of little frogs in the shower and on teh fridge at LS, and the huge lizard behind our fridge in Mopani that when we stepped closer to get a better look suddenly jumped out trying to catch a cricket with his long tongue, sending us both jumping backwards at least 5 meters ! Then there was the elephant at the toilets at Mlondozi Dam !

I can't wait to go back !

Mfezi
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Mfezi » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:22 pm

Last year early October during the short school holiday, I camped in Berg and Dal and the one evening the foot steps in the bush turned out to be a honey badger!! Was great to see one of those again. :dance:

Evel

Leopard in Biyamiti Camp?

Unread postby Evel » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:23 pm

I stayed in Biyamiti this long weekend and there was a report from the people staying in unit 1 that they saw a leopard in camp while they were on a walk along the fence on Sunday morning. The rangers told us they were setting up a cage trap in the afternoon to catch the leopard. They were patrolling the camp the whole day and told all visitors to stay close to their chalets. Has anybody got any news or updates on this as I'm interested to know if they caught the leopard? :hmz:

Stephens.L
Guru
Guru

Re: Leopard in Biyamiti Camp?

Unread postby Stephens.L » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:29 am

Dear Evel

Indeed, it is true that the leopard was spotted at Biyamiti bushcamp on Sunday morning. The section ranger was called to set up a trap. Rangers are busy searching the camp day and night to trace the animal. We will continue to monitor the situation closely.
Regards

Stephens Ledwaba
Communications and Marketing Department
Kruger National Park
+27 (0)13 735 4116
stephens.ledwaba@sanparks.org

MarkusF
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby MarkusF » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:28 am

Bush Baptist wrote:No wonder I haven't seen leopard near Biyamiyi on my visits. I was looking OUTSIDE the camp. :roll:

:funny:

Mfezi
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Mfezi » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:56 pm

Duke Ellieton wrote:A visitor got the fright of his life when taking an early morning walk and coming face to face with a leopard. The leopard growled, turned around and moved away.

SANParks staff handled the situation very well informing us on what is going on and what precautionary measures to take.

Now that is what I will call a rude awakening!! :roll: Glad all turned well for animal and human...

Mfezi
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Mfezi » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:02 pm

Carol g wrote:Hope they look inside the chalets too, imagine booking in and finding a leopard stretched out on your bed :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :D

Well, well!! Except for the initial fright of my life, I will see it as a welcome gift from Biyamiti camp / SANPARKS :dance: :lol:

tent dweller
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby tent dweller » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:52 am

When we are in Tamboti we never use the bin that is situated outside the tent, after cooking we put all our rubbish in a plastic bag and we put it in the bin in the kitchen area close by the ablution block simply for one reason that when the honey badger does come around he does not push our bin over and cause one of us to have heart failure :lol: :lol: and secondly it is very upsetting to see that he is actually becoming a scavenger
PRETORIUSKOP 20 - 21 December 2015
TAMBOTI 22 - 24 December 2015
OLIFANTS 25 - 27 December 2015 (with a view)
LETABA 28 - 31 December 2015
MOPANI 01 - 03 January 2016 (with a view)
SKUKUZA 04 -06 January 2016

Melman

Unread postby Melman » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:54 pm

A few years ago we had a lovely river view bungalow at Crocodile Bridge. My girls were a lot younger and we all were sharing a 4 bedded unit. While I braai'd my wife visited the bathroom, on her return she informed me that a snake had shedded it's skin in the shower - "get rid of it before your daughters see it or none of us will sleep tonight!". So I ambled into the bungalow and headed for the bathroom. On the ledge up near the thatch the shedded skin was visible - a little out of my reach I used the braai tongs to retrieve the offending item - little did I know the snake had not quite finished shedding itself and was still attached to the bit I had just grabbed - :big_eyes: - The sundowners I had earlier disappeared as quickly as the "70 foot black mamba - thats the type of snake it was and I'm sticking to that story."

I returned to the braai trying to act all cool and tried to gain my composure. "Is it gone?" - "Yes dear I replied".
I spent a nervous sleepless night lying in bed with a torch scanning the thatch above me from time to time....

Letaba 22nd Sep
Mopani 23rd
Satara 24th
Lower Sabie 25,26

Yippeee !!

:lol:

Grantmissy
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Your success with a torch in the camps at night?

Unread postby Grantmissy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:45 pm

A good torch is essential in Kruger. In Punda Maria at the Safari tents there are many night animals to be seen. Hyenas – Satara along the fence, also Letaba and Shingwedzi. It would be creepy to walk round in Kruger in the night without a torch.
Everything in moderation, including moderation – Oscar Wilde

DSchwartzel

Unread postby DSchwartzel » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:46 am

Sounds fantastic! Some of the sightings that people have seen are a once in a life time experience. Ive seen so much in the camps at times, more than I've seen when we go out during the day. Here's some of the sightings (All the times I've been to the park):
Letaba:
Leopard, impala, bush buck, Scorpions, Bush babies, Elephant, Baboons, vervet monkeys, water buck, baboon spiders, red romans, nyala
Oliphants:
Genets, bush babies, bats, baboons, vervet monkeys, water buck
Satara:
Hyenas came right to the fence and stuck its nose through the fence to try smell us, jackals, puff adders, baboon spiders, scops owl, pearl spotted owls, mongoose, wildcat, buffalo, elephant, impala, wildebeest, a massive green centipede (One of the best camps to see creepy crawlies)
Tamboti:
Honey badgers, lots of owls
Skukuza:
Hyena in the camp, lots of spiders and snakes, leopard there by the river (Low fence), bush babies, mongoose, scorpions, bush buck, a very strange creature when I was young (didn't have torch) could have been a pangolin, lots of different bat and owl species, frogs (by the pond at the circle)
Lowe Sabie:
Barn owl, pearl spotted owl, snakes, scorpions and spiders (Too many to name) impala, elephant, baboons, vervet monkeys, genets, bush babies
Crocodile bridge:
Puff adder, baboon spiders, warthog, impala, buffalo, bush buck, genets, lots of squirrels, tortoises, elephants

Some of the sightings have been in the camps others on the fence of the camps, cant wait to add to the list! Hope more people pick up a torch and take a stroll through the camps at night!

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread postby Crested Val » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:26 pm

Have seen Genet and Bushbaby at Punda, with the help of my torch. :dance: :dance:
Thinking of Africa every day.

Grantmissy
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Grantmissy » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:55 am

In December last year in Skukuza we saw an African Wild Cat next to the fence with a torch.
Everything in moderation, including moderation – Oscar Wilde

Moira de Swardt

Unread postby Moira de Swardt » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:25 pm

In Addo last year I had a little genet come and share my fire for a while until he/she realised I wasn't a rule breaker who was going to share my meal.

In December in Letaba I found two bushbabies in a tree near the river. By the time I summoned my friend they were gone, but it was a excellent sighting for me.

And bats.

During the day we had some excellent in-camp sightings. I wasn't sorry to spend time in camp under the trees at all.
Addo Elephant National Park 14 -16 July 2014 (well, the morning of the 17th, really)
KNP Sable Hide 21 December 2014
KNP Letaba 22 - 26 December 2014
KNP Lower Sabie 25 April to 3 May 2015

Return to “Kruger National Park”