Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Northern Kruger in February
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:08 pm 

Last February we visited Kruger for the first time, mainly staying in the south and mid areas, from Lower Sabie to Letaba.
It was a fantastic experience, and in our 9 days we were lucky to see all the game we could wish to see, maybe the one slight downside was the fact that being late summer the long grass and vegetation made game viewing difficult in some areas.
We are now thinking of returning to Kruger this February visiting the area north of Letaba, staying at Mopani, Shingwedzi and exploring up to the far north of the park.
We would really appreciate any information and advice on what to expect in this part of Kruger in February, I know it is much dryer in this area of the park, and the game may less prevalent.
Would we see any predators such as Lion and Hyena, also what kind of weather could we expect in February.
Many thanks
Martyn & Linda (UK)

Post subject: Re: Northern Kruger in February
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:17 pm 
Hallo matbe

One thing that you can be sure of is that it is going to be very hot. February is maybe the hottest time of the year in that region.

Well to comment a little on the game viewing you can certainly expect to see the predators and much more. The northern region is perfect habitat for big tusker elephants.

Some of the most beautiful places in the park is situated in the north. The Mpongolo route north of Shingwedzi is one of the most beautiful drives in all of Kruger. The red rocks route is also great and then there is the route down the Kanniedood dam which is great.

At the Pafuri picnic spot you will see what real Kruger beauty looks like. It is brilliant and great for bird watching.

In my opinion you will enjoy it just as much as the south.

Bring lots of sunscreen and enjoy the hottest part of the day in the swimming pools.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:00 pm 

Hi Martyn & Linda,
we have been going to the north in late Feb/early March for the past 3 years and will be doing so again next year.
And to be honest we have not experienced the very hot weather we always expected, possibly just very lucky as I am sure it can and does get incredibly hot on a norm.
We had lots of days where it was overcast with light drizzle or a nice thunder storm in the evening which does help keep the temps down.
In fact if I read my trip reports where we recorded the temps in the morning and again several times during the day it was surprisingly moderate.
As for animals, we have seen Lions on every occasion, Leopard once, no Cheetah, lots of big tuskers, Roan Antelope, Eland, Sharpes Grybok, and the highlight of all was the 2 little Caracal Kittens we had all to ourselves for over 20 minutes on the Mahonie Loop.
The birdlife is also very prolific.
But we just love the scenery as described by Joao.
I would advocate getting accommodation with aircon just in case the heat does strike.
Also if you do have the very hot weather make sure you have plenty of liquid in the car to keep hydrated.

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:22 pm 

The camp manager at Bataleur said February was the most uncomfortable time of the year up there, but of course there is no pool there. Having said that, we have just returned from a two week trip up north and we experienced a 44 degee day at Mopani in October, so anything is possible - the beauty of the unexpected is what makes the KNP what it is!

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:03 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
A warm welcome to you Chacma, I see that it is your first post. :D

Matbe, February is extremely hot. The scenery is the best draw card in February.

In terms of the north, it does not have the same distribution of sweet veld that is present in the south. This means that there is a completely different spread of antelope. It does not have the same consentration of grazers that enjoy eating off the sweet grasses. This also means that there is less opportunity for a high consentration of predators.

As has been mentioned, the main attraction to the north is the prolific bird life and the rarer antelope species. Sightings do tend to be harder to come by though.

My most enjoyable time in the north has been around the months when it is dry and the animals are attracted to the rivers.

I seldom recommend the north unless I know that people are avid birders, or they are happy with the rugged, often stark landscape. It is possible to travel for hours through Mopani without seeing much at all.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:59 pm 

Many thanks for the advice and information, maybe we will reconsider the time of year we visit Kruger, as I said, when we were there for our first visit last February it certainly wasn't ideal in terms of viewing game, though we did have a fantastic experience.
We are thinking that maybe September/October would be a better time of year when the game is more concentrated close to water, and the grass is much shorter.
Once again thanks for the information.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:50 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
The mopani tree's will form a green forest In February in the North and game spotting will be very difficult.
It will also be hotter than South and Central.
Not to mention, there is naturally less game in the North :wink:

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:36 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
I think February in the north will be really very hot. Our favourite time to visit the north is June/July and then it is chilly in the early mornings and late afternoon but during the day it is really very hot BUT on the other hand if someone had to offer me a trip in February to the north I would go because there is no place on earth like the Kruger :) :lol: :clap: :dance: :thumbs_up:

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:12 am 
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Matbe, welcome to the awesome Kruger National Park and to these forums. :dance: :dance: :dance:

February will be hot (high 30's to 40+), especially in Shingwedzi and Punda Maria, However, if you take suitable precautions, and don't have any medical conditions that are negatively impacted by the consequences of high ambient temperatures, I could see little reason not to go! Parts of the north do get high rainfall, and it will be lush and fertile in most parts in Feb.

I have heard it stated many times in theory that game viewing is difficult in the summer months, but honestly, in practice I have not had a problem in this department!

I have seen dozens of sightings of leopard and lion around Shingwedzi and Punda Maria, and the chances for leopard around the Levubhu is very good. Cheetah is more scarce, but I have also seen some of the smaller cats. In addition, the scenery and stillness (less traffic and the quietness of the mopane veld) is a revelation. Also, I actually prefer the Park when it is green and lush for to me that is real Africa at its best. Summer is bird time, and you will find a profusion of birds in the north (and especially the far north) that are not seen anywhere else in Kruger.

In my opinion, it all depends what you are focusing on when you visit, and the techniques you use for looking for game. Make your choice when and where to go, but whatever you do, Matbe, visit Kruger soon!

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:32 am 

Welcome to the forum Matbe!

I stayed in Phalaborwa for 25 years, and can honestly say that February is going to be hot, BUT you always have accommodation available with airconditioners.
Most of your time will most probably be spent inside the car driving, so just make sure (if you can) to get an airconditioner if you rent a car, or if your own car does not have an aircon, my advise would be to get a sealable (GLAD) plastic bag.
What you could do then is wet a cloth at night, put it in the freezer and when you go out in the day leave it in the plastic bag. When the heat gets too much, this little cold cloth will turn out to be your best friend, especially around the neck..... you'll feel much better. Just my 2 cents :wink:

As far as the viewing goes, up north is your best chance to see Eland which is not common in the South. You are going to find lots of Ellies!!

Shingwedzi for me is the better camp for viewing up north, especially the S50 that runs along the river towards Kanniedood dam. I have found lion, hyena, leopard and a serval in that area. It pays to slow down and take your time....

As said before by other forumites, the North + summer = BIRDS. I am sure they will keep you busy enough when the game viewing gets a bit quiet. :wink:

Enjoy your trip! :thumbs_up:

1 Dec: Lower Sabie
2 Dec: Lower Sabie
3 Dec: Malelane
4 Dec: Malelane

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
matbe wrote:
We are thinking that maybe September/October would be a better time of year when the game is more concentrated close to water, and the grass is much shorter.

Best idea :thumbs_up:

And as a second time visitor to Kruger, I suspect you will enjoy the South and Central Kruger more than the North :whistle: The North is an acquired taste (of a diet of monotonous Mopani forest).
However if you feel like visiting one Northern camp, pick Shingwedzi :D

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:20 pm 
I agree cheetah but Punda is also a very nice place to stay and you are much closer to Pafuri picnic spot. :lol: :lol:

Post subject: Kruger in February
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:01 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Aftermath of the floods!
At what level are the rivers?
Were many giant old trees washes away exposing banks, view sites etc?
How hot is it there?

Post subject: Re: Kruger in February
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:55 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

If you are in the park, could you post a photo of a flowering shrub or tree?

Post subject: Re: Kruger in February
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:33 am 

Hi there all

It seems like this thread is mostly about the north.

I would like to know what is the Lower Sabie and Satara area like in February.

We have been coming to Kruger every September for 7 years. Friends have asked us to join them touring the Lowveld, which will include a few nights in KNP, this coming February.

What are the South and Central areas like in February with regards to sightings, weather veld etc?

thanks and regards

Talamati 7 & 8 Sept
Tamboti 9 Sept
Satara 10 & 11 Sept
Pretoriuskop 12 Sept