Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pretoriuskop Rest Camp
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:45 pm 

stayed there for a night this weekend at the joubert guest house. the newly renovated bungalows are stunning! the grass is abit long and thick but shitlhave and transport dam are amazing! also did the fayi loop for the 1st time and its really a stunning drive!

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:13 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi there

Yes, indeed you know all the answers! Indeed it depends on the preceding rain in October and November. Generally speaking the Pretoriuskop area is the wettest of all Kruger (highest rainfall). Grass around the area can get extremely high, up to 1.5 m or maybe even higher!

If your friends are first timers, looking for BIG 5 and other big game, why not look at another area, altough I have to admit I have seen big game around Pretoriuskop from time to time. And it's exellent for wilddogs.

Was there last week, again the grass was extremely high, seriously limiting visibility and photographic oppurtunities. July is the better season there! If they decide going there, try to get a vehicle with 'high ground clearance' to improve their visibility.

Enjoy :thumbs_up:

Last edited by G@mespotter on Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:37 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I was in pretorius Kop last January.

I do think that it is one of the most scenic areas of the Park.
The gras was indeed high, but there are drives that offer fairly clear views. The Voortrekker road, for instance, as very little high grass blocking the view.

This was one of our sightings on the Voortrekker road.

another moment on a rainy day

We experienced so many raptors. Indeed it was good 8)

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:49 pm 

Location: Wherever I lay my hat, that's my bush camp luxury safari tent.
Hello all,

I'm putting together some ideas for a Kruger visit this September. P.Skop is somewhere I've never been. A few questions for you knowledgeable folk: :)

What's the grass/visibility situation likely to be around then? Tall and brown, or mostly gone/sparse?

Any permanent water around there - are the dams dry or wet in Sept if no rains have started yet?

Is the area still considered good for cheetah, and wild dog?

I am thinking of a few days (maybe 3) up north, possibly Sirheni or Shimuwini, and a few days down South, with a night somewhere like Satara to split the drive. I can't decide between P.Skop or Biyamiti for the South...

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:41 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
In September visibility should be a whole lot better. There might have been good burns that now have green shoots, making good grazing.

I have never seen Transport & Shitlave dams empty.

I saw a cheetah on Voortrekker road and the doggies near Afsaal.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:48 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Winnie

I just spent 5 days at Pretorius Kop. The grass was VERY long, but lots of patches around the camp have been burnt already (this does not help very much, since some long grass still remains).
In spite of this there was a fair amount of game already, but not enough.
The area was very wet, with fountains seeping out of the road on the Fayi loop in July! The 20+ mm of rain 2 Sundays ago did not help matters either...
I think it should be excellent by September.
In spite of these negatives, there were DAILY sightings of cheetah very near to the camp on the Eastern side, as well as on the dirt road closer to the Phabeni gate intersection.
Leopard were seen regularly. Lions were seen 2-3 x per day. We had a fantastic sighting of 4 lionesses within 4 km of camp on the Fayi loop with 3 teeny cubs, little balls of fluff. Another lioness was obviously lactating, so her cubs should be up and about in September too.
The area north of Satara was terribly dry and with hardly a blade of grass for about 40 km up towards the Olifants river...
Saw most game north of Lower Sabie -- herds of up to 300 zebra at a time near Mlondozi dam, and closer to Tshokwane/Orpen dam. Only saw 1 herd of elephant in the Biyamiti river, but there should be plenty when it is dryer.
Enjoy

Friedrich von Hörsten

Post subject: Re: Pretoriuskop camp
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:20 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Mikath

Not sure where but there is a topic just about Pkop!I have been at Pkop this year Jan and we saw 4 lions(pic below) on the 1ste gravel road on the left around 2km from camp and the following day saw a lone female in the same area!The bush is very green but I like that time of the year very much!We saw 2 leopards, separate sightings on the S3 and the S1.The voortrekker road can be good saw a Hartebeest there!But check out the topic about Pkop!Someone will add the link here for you!

3 Male lions hunting buffalo: The Movie!!!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:26 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Pretoriuskop always is a good choice as the landscape is magnificent!
I also spend 3 nights there in November, it´s usually my starter :lol:
But if you only have 3 nights altogether I wouldn´t spend them all there,
maybe 1-2 in BnD.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:37 am 

Mikath I love pretoriuskop - it's probably my favourtie camp in the park. I've seen all the big five, plus cheetah and wild dog within about 5km of the camp.

The drive to Skukuza either via the main Napi Road or the "back" road from Phabeni to Skukuza are good drives to do in the mornings.

If you are into guided walks then I reckon Pretroriuskop is the best place to do them in the park. You're virtually guaranteed of seeing rhino and getting up close to them on foot. The dirt rod that cuts across from Pretoriuskop to Phanbenit has been very good for us in the last couple of years for cheetah.

Also, the camp has the best swimming pool in the park, and all the staff are very friendly.

cheers

tony

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:41 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I have always enjoyed P'kop. Some people do say that the grass is too high, but it does not bother me. I love the scenery, the birds, the many dams in close proximity.

These are some images from my January trip with my daughter.

Voortrekker road

The S3 in January

Endearing Voortrekker road attraction.

The camp in January

It was rainy at times, but we found it rather pleasant. We were also spoilt with raptor sightings.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:23 pm 

We are going to P'kop for 2 nights beginning 30 August. I had called previously to inquire about a bush braai and thought I remember being told its ok for 4 people. But when I just called to actually reserve it for the night of the 31st, the woman told me the minimum is 6 people. :( So she took my information and will let me know if two more people want to have one. So I also had her put us down for a sunset drive (no night drives at P'kop I think), just in case.

Will anyone be in P'kop that night and is interested in a bush braai?

2/9 - 3/9 - Letaba
4/9 - Mopani

www.briancasatelli.smugmug.com/Wildlife

www.globaltwitcher.com

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:29 pm 

We just love this camp. It's very peaceful and enough game around to keep you busy. I also loves the little loops around camp, and a trip to shitlhave dam late afternoon is 'n 'must'

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:18 am 

Hi All,

I'm new to this site, so: "Hello!"

Just got my booking confirmation for Pretoriuskop in November :D . We will be camping (tent) there for 5 days. Chose P-kop because of the nice pool for the kids, just want to relax & not rush from camp to camp as on previous visits.

Which campsite should I ask for? Next to the fence with a bit of shade would be nice (and not too far from the pool), stayed in the PKop bungalows before, did not really take note of the campsite layout.

The one with the sycamore fig described above sound very nice, what number is that, if I may ask?

Thanks!

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:53 pm 

Hi Picshaman. Welcome to the Forum. We visited Pretoriuskop in August. During our visit the swiming pool was empty (they were busy with some major repairs). I dont know when they will be finished. I dont think the campsites are numbered. The one by the fig tree is quite nice. Just remember to watch out for the monkeys in camp. They are a real problem and will take advantage of anything that is open. They have lost their fear of humans and will snatch something from the table, when you turn your back!

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:46 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Wildone wrote:
Will be in Pretoriuskop from 24-29 September 2009 - any tips? 8)

Fayi loop for rhino and maybe sable.

Voortrekker road first thing in the morning. You might wake a cheetah or see a leopard.

Mestel dam area is lion country.

No guarantees......

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 18  Next