Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pretoriuskop camp
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:37 am 

Mikath I love pretoriuskop - it's probably my favourtie camp in the park. I've seen all the big five, plus cheetah and wild dog within about 5km of the camp.

The drive to Skukuza either via the main Napi Road or the "back" road from Phabeni to Skukuza are good drives to do in the mornings.

If you are into guided walks then I reckon Pretroriuskop is the best place to do them in the park. You're virtually guaranteed of seeing rhino and getting up close to them on foot. The dirt rod that cuts across from Pretoriuskop to Phanbenit has been very good for us in the last couple of years for cheetah.

Also, the camp has the best swimming pool in the park, and all the staff are very friendly.

cheers

tony

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:41 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I have always enjoyed P'kop. Some people do say that the grass is too high, but it does not bother me. I love the scenery, the birds, the many dams in close proximity.

These are some images from my January trip with my daughter.

The S3 in January

Endearing Voortrekker road attraction.

The camp in January

It was rainy at times, but we found it rather pleasant. We were also spoilt with raptor sightings.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:29 pm 

We just love this camp. It's very peaceful and enough game around to keep you busy. I also loves the little loops around camp, and a trip to shitlhave dam late afternoon is 'n 'must'

Post subject: Re: Pretoriuskop Rest Camp
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:18 am 

Hi All,

I'm new to this site, so: "Hello!"

Just got my booking confirmation for Pretoriuskop in November :D . We will be camping (tent) there for 5 days. Chose P-kop because of the nice pool for the kids, just want to relax & not rush from camp to camp as on previous visits.

Which campsite should I ask for? Next to the fence with a bit of shade would be nice (and not too far from the pool), stayed in the PKop bungalows before, did not really take note of the campsite layout.

The one with the sycamore fig described above sound very nice, what number is that, if I may ask?

Thanks!

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:53 pm 

Hi Picshaman. Welcome to the Forum. We visited Pretoriuskop in August. During our visit the swiming pool was empty (they were busy with some major repairs). I dont know when they will be finished. I dont think the campsites are numbered. The one by the fig tree is quite nice. Just remember to watch out for the monkeys in camp. They are a real problem and will take advantage of anything that is open. They have lost their fear of humans and will snatch something from the table, when you turn your back!

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:57 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Tiko

I usually stay in the very basic ES2 huts, and they have a small table with 2 chairs, which we usually put outside in the shade for eating of meals.
Enjoy your visit,

God bless

Friedrich von Hörsten

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:51 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Indeed they do, Tiko. Best value in Kruger, I think. JUST A WORD OF WARNING. They do not have wall plug sockets, so don't rely on them to charge anything.

Post subject: Re: some question on petoriuskop
Unread postPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:11 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Welcome to the forum
Yes the accommodation does have all the bed linen including extra blankets
There are towels and even a Kruger Soap per person.
Yes the electricty runs 24 hours.. unless there is a general power failure.

Dont forget your yellow ribbon

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:25 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Ross I think all Kruger accommodation has braai facilities, even the huts.

The two go together Kruger=Braai!!!

We stayed in those huts a few years back and they did have them then :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Re: Pretoriuskop Family Cottage location
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:45 pm 

pamelajane wrote:
Hope I'm not being dof :doh: but I have booked a family cottage FF6DB and cannot find it on the Pretoriuskop map.Can anyone help me as I would like to know if we have a perimeter location - in May this year we were in a lovely cottage looking towards the fence with impala grazing around us and I'm hoping that we have the same one! :hmz:

Hi, we are just back from 5 weeks Kruger and we were also in a FF6BD. You have to look at 113 and 114 and yes, the impala's are still allaround the camp!
:thumbs_up:
Ruud

Post subject: Re: Pretoriuskop Family Cottage location
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:43 pm 

pamelajane wrote:
Thanks Ruud - I can find FU4D but not FF6DB. Is 113 or114 the cottage I have booked?I wonder why Sanparks don't upgrade their maps as we had the same problem when we were booking at Nossob in the Kgalagadi.I'm so pleased that you replied as I have now had the pleasure of looking at your photos on your website - they are SUPERB! :clap:

Yes the FF6DB(it's the same as FU4D) are 113 and 114, it's a good place and You're right, it should be great when SANPARKS update their maps with the same accomodationtypes as you can book at the reservations-departement. And thanks for your compliments about our photos :thumbs_up:
Hopefully this year a new update from our last 5 weeks-stay in Kruger.

Ruud

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:16 pm 
Everything beautiful in the little village we know so well!

This two days ago...love it in Summer! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:54 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Stephan,

I cant comment on the huts you booked as we normally camp.

I have driven the Madlabanthu trail twice. I wrote a trip report here about the first time we did te trail.

We did the trail again towards the end of last year. It was dry and a totally different experience. We saw Sable close to Shabeni.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:37 pm 

Pretoriuskop is one of my hubbys and my best camps we had our honeymoon in the Kruger and Pretoriuskop was our first camp that we stayed at. If you can manage to get to the gate first,just one morning the main road between Pretoriuskop and Skukuza is well worth a drive. Some of our best sighting of Cheetah have been along that road, plus wild dog, plus Leopard at Shitlave Dam. Also do yourselves a favour go on all the links around Pretoriuskop we have had some wonderful sightings over the years. I really hope you have a great trip, and are blessed with many great sightings, and I hope you do not experience what you experienced last time!!!. :thumbs_up: Mama Faru

P.S. We have always found the staff at Pretoriuskop very polite and helpful. Godfrey who is the Manager in the shop is also such a great guy. 8)

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:06 pm 

We spent our last two nights of our recent trip at Pretoriuskop and early on our last morning went for a short drive on the Fayi Loop where we had the privilege of seeing a cheetah, first lying against a big fallen branch not even 3m away from us. Then he marked his territory, with intent, all the way around the adjoining tree, totally oblivious to us, and proceeded to climb high onto a branch which he used as a "look out" to survey the surroundings. We were the only car there for as long as 15 minutes. What an incredible sighting that will remain etched in my memory! :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next